Nhandu chromatus strange webbing

MaddiesMom

Arachnopeon
Hello! I have a sub-adult female N chromatus that recently molted (approx a month go). She webbed a molting pad outside of her burrow for the first time and I had the opportunity to watch it happen. I fed her about a week or so after she had molted and she eagerly took the dubia. (I only feed her adult male dubias after her molt because they are softer than the adult female dubias.) Approximately 2 weeks ago I noticed very strange webbing behavior from her. She is not a T that typically webs so it is strange for her to now see her webbing the entire enclosure with what look like dozens of trip wires. From the top to the bottom and all around there are "trip wires" throughout her enclosure. She is also refusing food and will run away if I put a dubia in for her. I may be worrying about nothing, but my fear is she may have injured a fang if I fed her too soon after her molt, but I have always let her be my guide with feeding after a molt. Am I worrying needlessly? I have posted a couple of shots of the webbing. Thanks so much!

Attachments

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
It looks pretty normal to me. She may be in premolt...sometimes they'll web more and refuse to eat. I think everything's fine :)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It’s doing it’s thing, we don’t know what they think about, it may just be inclined to web after a molt. Some classic heavy webbers, aren’t big webbers, some that aren’t web more than we would think sometimes. They’re all their own beings. I don’t see anything to be concerned about.

MaddiesMom

Arachnopeon
She has nemotodes. :( I just got a visual on her and it is clear to me now why she has been displaying odd silk webbing. She is restless. I am crushed.

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Nematodes? Where did you see them?
I honestly didn't have any parasite experience with my Tarantulas im just curious to see how this works out and how it happens in the first place.

MaddiesMom

Arachnopeon
She has nemotodes. :( I just got a visual on her and it is clear to me now why she has been displaying odd silk webbing. She is restless. I am crushed.
OP said she moulted about a month ago.
As weird as this may sound, it seemed odd to see her suddenly webbing all over. A spider webbing should not seem odd, but for her it was a new behavior. I know now why. She has been restless. She has nemotodes. Hard to explain, but I just felt something was off with her doing this. I understand that once they show this last symptom it usually is too late, which is devastating. I will do some reading on the boards to see if there is anything I can do to help her or at least ease her a bit.

Nematodes? Where did you see them?
I honestly didn't have any parasite experience with my Tarantulas im just curious to see how this works out and how it happens in the first place.
I have no idea how they would have gotten introduced to her enclosure as I have had her for over 2 years. The feed her dubias exclusively and these from my own established.colony. The only thing I can think of is the fact I added some new type of soil someone recommended for them called "Reptisoil", which was purchased from the local pet store

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
How are you so certain it is nematodes? You haven't described what led you to think that, and so far all we know is it is just webbing.

MaddiesMom

Arachnopeon
I have visually seen them. I was originally asking about odd webbing behavior, but have since discovered the reason and wanted to share. Yes, tarantulas do web. Some more than others. It was behavior though, that was a new behavior for her and thought I would see if others experienced a sudden new webbing behavior. I can see now, there was a reason. I will attach a picture that I just took for you. I understand it may be difficult to see because she isn't on the side of the enclosure in full view as she was when I discovered them, but you should be able to see the white covering her mouth in this pic if you look closely. I will try to get a better picture to add when she allows me to. In the meantime....

Attachments

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Did you offered her any prey? It could be easily a bolus. Sometimes they wrap their preys with silk before munching them.

Can you post a ventral image where we can see her fangs from beneath?

MaddiesMom

Arachnopeon
I will take a better picture if I am able to catch her on the side of her enclosure, or if I can catch her at a better angle. Regarding the possibility of food, no possibility in that she ate once after her molt, which was September 16th give or take a day. She ate just fine, eagerly. After that she started refusing food. She had continued to refuse since. I have actually only fed her dubias and when she refused them I removed immediately. If not they crawl up to the top of her enclosure and into the back of the foam back, which is an absolute pain to get to so I will remove them immediately if she refuses and I try again a few days later. This all started because I felt her behavior was out of the ordinary. She began webbing her enclosure, top to bottom and all around, water dish and all, like dozens of trip wires. It was odd for her as she has never webbed anything but her molting mat.

My last attempt to feed her was yesterday and she did the same thing she has done for the past month or so. She put her front legs on it, it played dead, it finally got away from her and I removed it. I do not believe there is any chance it is a bolus because I removed them immediately. Could it be one that has been living in her enclosure for several months? Possible, but not probable because I will not leave them in there because they climb up to the top and either sit there or behind her enclosure backing, which is a pain to access to remove them.

arigby

Arachnopeon
Hi, my nhandu chromatus, same as yours sub adult. Is doing exactly the same as you have described. It's completely out of the norm for her, she just started doing it tonight and she's refused her food. I'm now worried she has nemoatodes. I can't see any white around her mouth though... But I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Can someone look at the pics and tell me what they think. I'm really worried ☹

Attachments