Nhandu chromatus Playing with her Food?!?

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I thought I would see if anyone else out here has the same kinda issue as I do here...Not that it's a big deal, but it strikes me as rather interesting as I've NEVER seen any of my T's Play with their food as much as my Nhandu chromatus does...She will Literally walk auround her whole enclosure with a roach in her chompers! And it seems the whole time that she does this, she's building up her web again...Not that Im complaining, but I seriously dont understand it, Almost like she wants to stay active while she chows down on it or something....Anyone else expierence this??

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
I've noticed this with mine. Her entire cage is webbed from floor to ceiling...... Like the normal feeding spin isn't enough, or something.:confused:

GrofKjans

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why does mine don't do that? He\she webed only the substrate. I think it is doing it to feel the vibrations better. or maybe I'm wrong?
And there was that one time when it was about to molt. Then there was webing every where. But couple of days after the molt he\she ruined all :

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Possibly, yours is more content with it's burrow within the cage, and mine has yet to feel as comfortable, so the entire cage is it's burrow.......

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Your chromatus could be doing what we have started calling the cricket dance of joy. Shultz calls it the feeding waltz in his book. They clutch the cricket in their mouth and with their abdomen down turn in circles laying down webbing, they they lay the crickts down in the middle and web over them. The crickets are made into a neat package, that the T then picks up and eats. Is that what yours is doing?

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Your chromatus could be doing what we have started calling the cricket dance of joy. Shultz calls it the feeding waltz in his book. They clutch the cricket in their mouth and with their abdomen down turn in circles laying down webbing, they they lay the crickts down in the middle and web over them. The crickets are made into a neat package, that the T then picks up and eats. Is that what yours is doing?
Nope. That's normal as far as I can tell....... If I had to come up with an explanation I would have to go with my previous post. I think she isn't comfortable enough to eat in the peace of her burrow, and stick to a more 'normal' routine....... I'll see if I can change her behavior with some extra work in her cage.
Cheers,
Scott

Sof

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've seen mine roll wet substrate into a small ball and "play" with it. It rolls it up and starts moving it around her fangs then picks up another and repeats. Happend twice when I was wetting the substrate. And if its acting like its thristy, I always have its water full to the brim :)