nhandu chromatus juvie male ?

desmond

Arachnopeon
Hey guys. Just wanna know if any of the keepers out there have a nhandu species juvie(4-5cm) that has long legs and recembles alittle like a male T,but turns out to be a confirmed female?

Well I have a nhandu chromatus sling that's currently about 4cm legspan and the legs are a kinda long and skinny. Though it's abdomen is plum. I've tried ventral sexing using a magnifying glass and the book lungs are pretty far apart and I dont see a white dot (like some species of males have) instead I see like a clear whiteish line frm the first left booklungs to the first right booklungs. I've seen a pic ventral pic of a male nhandu chromatus juvie about the same size and it looks completely different. (first pair of booklungs are nearer and has a obvious white dot in the middle.)

Question is does the long legs of a juvenile indicates that it's a male? Or it cant be judge that way?

miserykills

Arachnosquire
When they're that small it doesn't matter what their legs look like. It's not until they mature that the male traits will be obvious. A molt will be the only way to be 100% sure. Anything else is just guessing. I have a juvie male Nhandu chromatus around that size. I was hoping for a female too but I'm not too bummed about it. They're one of my favorite species.

desmond

Arachnopeon
I know right, it sucks to know that you've got a male when you're expecting a female.... Well I hope mine is a female. Do you have a ventral picture of your male nhandu chromatus juvie?

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Alright thanks! Hoping for a female.
Look for a flap in the molt, go to the tarantula chat section and see the forum "sexing for dummies", there's a lot of examples there. You can also go to: gallery - tarantulas - tarantula sexing - spermathecae sexing --- and post a picture of the molt, or go to: gallery - tarantulas - tarantula sexing - epiandrous fussilae sexing --- and just post a nice ventral shot of your T. (sorry, my phone does not want to post links)

Jebbles

Arachnosquire
Ventral sexing is really complicated. Just wait for a molt, it's your best option. A trick I learned is sometimes you can tell by the fangs. I realize that my previously sexed female full-grown B Albo ended up being a male when I looked at the fangs. Its complicated, especially with small Ts. Fangs that are closer together usually indicates a male. However this isn't always accurate so don't hold this against me!

Only way to be 100% certain is by a molt. So goodluck!

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Ventral sexing is really complicated. Just wait for a molt, it's your best option. A trick I learned is sometimes you can tell by the fangs. I realize that my previously sexed female full-grown B Albo ended up being a male when I looked at the fangs. Its complicated, especially with small Ts. Fangs that are closer together usually indicates a male. However this isn't always accurate so don't hold this against me!

Only way to be 100% certain is by a molt. So goodluck!
I know the fangs in males are usually smaller also.. but yes I won't go by this method, almost all pre-mature male Ts has fangs that looks like those of a female

Last edited:

desmond

Arachnopeon
Thanks! Haha never tried the fangs method before! Maybe I should try it soon. Tried to sex it by its previous molt which is really really small ended up tearing it apart haha. I will have to wait for another one and try it again!

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Thanks! Haha never tried the fangs method before! Maybe I should try it soon. Tried to sex it by its previous molt which is really really small ended up tearing it apart haha. I will have to wait for another one and try it again!
The fangs method I wouldn't recommend, it's a very poor way of sexing a T, as I said almost all pre-mature males has fangs that looks like those of a female.. so don't go by that, wait for it to get a bit bigger (aprox around 3 or 4 inches) then post a picture on spermathecae sexing of the epigastric furrow on the molt.. you can use alcohol to soak the molt to make it nice and soft but IMO I think 4cm is still a bit small so I'd wait for it to get bigger. Unless you have a microscope to look for visible spermathecae of course.. ventral sexing is also easier at that size then.. I have a 3" P. Irminia Juvie and it is still difficult for me to sex it, but yes the psalmo genus is quite difficult to sex for me at least, yours on the other hand might be easier to sex at that size.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Hoping for a female.
That's unusual. I can't recall reading that here before.

If you really want females, get sexed juveniles, or several slings at a time. Unless of course, you like the thrill of rolling the dice.

desmond

Arachnopeon
That's unusual. I can't recall reading that here before.

If you really want females, get sexed juveniles, or several slings at a time. Unless of course, you like the thrill of rolling the dice.

My supplier doesn't have sexed slings or juvies only sexed adults:(

---------- Post added 12-14-2014 at 02:47 PM ----------

The fangs method I wouldn't recommend, it's a very poor way of sexing a T, as I said almost all pre-mature males has fangs that looks like those of a female.. so don't go by that, wait for it to get a bit bigger (aprox around 3 or 4 inches) then post a picture on spermathecae sexing of the epigastric furrow on the molt.. you can use alcohol to soak the molt to make it nice and soft but IMO I think 4cm is still a bit small so I'd wait for it to get bigger. Unless you have a microscope to look for visible spermathecae of course.. ventral sexing is also easier at that size then.. I have a 3" P. Irminia Juvie and it is still difficult for me to sex it, but yes the psalmo genus is quite difficult to sex for me at least, yours on the other hand might be easier to sex at that size.

Yeap I'll just wait for another molt!

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Good luck! If you get five females in a row, I would consider it Yahtzee.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Buying several slings at once is a good way to ensure to have a female. But I think best way to go is a sexed juvenile. Good luck, hope yours is female.

desmond

Arachnopeon
Buying several slings at once is a good way to ensure to have a female. But I think best way to go is a sexed juvenile. Good luck, hope yours is female.
Thanks i hope so too. If I'm not wrong the smaller slings from the same sac are usually females .as males mature and grow a little faster.