Next T Ideas

AshS

Arachnosquire
So out if the blue, my wife has said I can get a 4th Taratula. But I am currently stumped on what I should get next.
My Current collection consists of...
  1. Acanthoscurria Geniculata
  2. Caribena Versicolor
  3. Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens
Any suggestions on what to get next?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Any of those. They're all absolutely stunning. That typed my Caribena versicolor has recently shed and looks the absolute bees knees.

Edit. That'll teach me to not read the post.

Brachypelma hamorii.
Grammostola pulchra.
Grammostola iheringi.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
So out if the blue, my wife has said I can get a 4th Taratula. But I am currently stumped on what I should get next.
My Current collection consists of...
  1. Acanthoscurria Geniculata
  2. Caribena Versicolor
  3. Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens
Any suggestions on what to get next?
Can you narrow down what you're looking for? Terrestrial? Arboreal? Colors? Sizes? Otherwise we're kind of just taking shots in the dark.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
OK. I only have NW terrestrials, so bear that in mind. Enjoying all of these so far:

Aphonopelma chalcodes
Brachypelma albopilosum
Brachypelma boehmei
Brachypelma emilia
Davus pentaloris
Euathlus Sp. red
Grammostola pulchra
Grammostola pulchripes
Lasiodora klugi
Nhandu tripepii
Pterinopelma sazimai

basin79

ArachnoGod
I think everyone should own the quintessential tarantula. Brachypelma hamorii.

But from those Grammostola pulchra are absolutely phenomenonal. What they lack in colour they make up for being JET BLACK.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I would either get another Avicularia species, a B. albopilosum (Nicuraguan if you can find it), or a B. hamorii. Thats order of cheapest to most expensive, depending on the Avic. I'm hoping for a good deal to pop up for the Nicuraguan B. albopilosum, personally.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Grammostola iheringi, what they lack in 100% jet blackness they make up for with a red butt, gold mirror patch and an appetite that would give an A. geniculata a run for its money.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Another vote for G. iheringi. Makes 'red rumps' look beige.

(That's not a slur on poor ol' Brachypelma vagans, tho. Brachys are also good. Brachys got your back.)

Haemus

Arachnosquire
+1 to the G. pulchra, such a charming species.

And one vote for the G. pulchripes; more colorful, faster growing than the G. pulchra:

aphono

Arachnobaron
I. mira might round out that collection to arboreal, terrestrial, webber and finally a fossorial? It is an old world and you won;t see it much though. Care is extremely easy- deep and dry substrate with water bowl and a lot of fun waiting for it to pop up and snatch prey. They are also surprisingly beautiful with the shiny blue toes and beautiful patterning on carapace.

cold blood

Staff member
What are the selling points for these? Kinda been thinking of trying another arboreal.. already have C.versicolor.
Everything. Incredible eaters, very fast growth, theyre fast, but fairly calm as they grow....pretty easy to work with and around and theyre abundant and inexpensive....they are also green, which is a very rare color for a t. As they gain size, they are out a ton, making them good display species. Every collection needs cams.

sasker

Arachnoprince
What are the selling points for these? Kinda been thinking of trying another arboreal.. already have C.versicolor.
They are also considered by many to be a 'bridge species' to Old World tarantulas. As @cold blood mentioned, they are fast. I don't have one myself, yet. But it is on my wish list, so I expect to own one within the next month or so :)

And another cool feature is that spiders of the Psalmopoeus genus do not have any urticating hairs!!

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
GBB, P Cam is pretty awesome as well. The Versicolor is beautiful. I'd say it depends on whether you want a large awesome T versus a super gorgeous colorful T or a gorgeous crazy colored T that web heavily.

sasker

Arachnoprince
it depends on whether you want a large awesome T versus a super gorgeous colorful T or a gorgeous crazy colored T that web heavily
I think the OP already has a GBB and a A. versicolor. But you are absolutely right about the attributes if these species :D

aphono

Arachnobaron
Everything. Incredible eaters, very fast growth, theyre fast, but fairly calm as they grow....pretty easy to work with and around and theyre abundant and inexpensive....they are also green, which is a very rare color for a t. As they gain size, they are out a ton, making them good display species. Every collection needs cams.
They are also considered by many to be a 'bridge species' to Old World tarantulas. As @cold blood mentioned, they are fast. I don't have one myself, yet. But it is on my wish list, so I expect to own one within the next month or so :)

And another cool feature is that spiders of the Psalmopoeus genus do not have any urticating hairs!!
Thanks to both of you! Hope to make it to the San Diego reptile show next month.. will keep an eye out for these. Have a pretty good feeling I'll end up getting one eventually.

P. irminia are similar but prone to hiding and maybe more defensive, right? I do like their bold chevrons and red streaks but if they hide, kinda a moot point.. got my I. miras for that kind of trick. ;)