Next T, help me pick?

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I really liked the last "help me pick my next T" thread! I like hearing everyone's input, and while looking through previous posts is helpful, I like that it opens up a conversation.

As @Icculus was kind enough to inform me, my LPS has gotten in a nice shipment of new Ts and since my incei disappeared (it comes out to snatch prey at night but I haven't seen it in about a week if not longer) I've been looking for something new.

Now, I only have NW Ts and some of the Ts I'm about to list are OWs. I'm pretty confident in my ability to handle these guys (not physically handle, I mean I can take care of them properly) but if they're major no-nos, feel free to let me know. I know an OBT isn't a recommended first OW but I'm very aware of what goes into keeping them. I like the idea of this one because it's a good size - not so small that it will disappear on me but not large enough to intimidate the **** out of me. Hubby also has his heart set on the H. pulchripes.

1. Dolicholothele diamantinensis - 0.5"
2. Hapalopus sp. Colombia Lg - 0.25"
3. Harpactira pulchripes - 0.75"
4. Pterinopelma sazimai 1.5"
5. OBT - 1.5"

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
Those are some hard choices. I have an OBT and a pumpkin, and I can definitely say h pulchripes is high on my wishlist. Imo, get the pulchripes as the other two are super common in the hobby right now and easy to pick up.

Only know what ive read about the other two species, but they look beautiful for sure.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Those are the ones I'm leaning towards as well. I knew H. pulchripes was expensive but almost $100 for a sling hurts a little :arghh: I wish the Hapalopus sp. Colombia wasn't so tiny though, I usually don't go below 0.5"

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I'm new to the hobby but I understand what you mean. It scares me to spend lots of cash on slings...haha.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Those are some hard choices. I have an OBT and a pumpkin, and I can definitely say h pulchripes is high on my wishlist. Imo, get the pulchripes as the other two are super common in the hobby right now and easy to pick up.

Only know what ive read about the other two species, but they look beautiful for sure.
The D. diamantinensis is gorgeous, though I'm not the biggest fan of dwarfs. I haven't seen one locally for a while so I kind of want to scoop it for the sake of having one

...and funnily enough, just this morning I was complaining to hubby about how many slings we have and that I secretly hate them all because they're all burrowed away :shifty:

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
Hapolopus are extremely fast growing for a semi dwarf species, and they are fun to watch eat. Mine is pretty much full trapdoor right now, under a piece of cork.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
If you want to keep things simple, I'd get the P.sazimai, beautiful, reasonably calm and easy to care for. If you want to jump into OWs gof for the H.pulchripes, its the most laid back of the OWs on your list.

boina

Lady of the mites
I only have the NWs from your list:
D. diamantinensis: Mine webs a lot and stays in her web a lot. Great feeding response, though. If I want to see her I throw in a cricket... and she does look fantastic.
H. sp. Colombia large: Mine is pretty active and out a lot, great webber and great feeding response. I like mine a lot, but a sling that small :eek:?
P. sazimai: Definitely my favorite of the three. Allways out, eats like there's no tomorrow and the blues right after a molt are crazy! :wideyed::happy:. Can be a bit skittish, though. She is also the only one of my Ts that will dig up burried Dubias - I don't crush the heads when I feed her, because I want to see her digging head first into the substrate and dragging out the kicking Dubia. :p (Yes, I know, I'm not very nice.) I really need to get a pic of that sazimai butt sticking out of the substrate :D.

So, I don't know about the OWs, but get a P. sazimai. They are great.

Shudragon

Arachnopeon
Just as a shameless plug because my gf thinks she is the best spider in the world, Acanthogonatus franki (they are funnel webs) has been an amazing eater, she is beautiful and has spun an amazing web, and even though she is not theropsidae, she is pretty much a weird combo of NW temperament with OW lightning speed. If youre ever looking at getting a true spider I highly suggest one.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Actually from the little I've been able to 'get' (I don't know you, of course) from your posts/pics etc I think that you wouldn't have issues of all sort with every Theraphosidae you listed, seriously.

Get that damn 'OBT' :kiss:

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Well the P sazimai is on my short list right now so that's how I would have to vote.

Of course the H pulchripes... OH just get both!

Last edited:

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Just as a shameless plug because my gf thinks she is the best spider in the world, Acanthogonatus franki (they are funnel webs) has been an amazing eater, she is beautiful and has spun an amazing web, and even though she is not theropsidae, she is pretty much a weird combo of NW temperament with OW lightning speed. If youre ever looking at getting a true spider I highly suggest one.
I've really wanted one for a long time but hubby is endlessly creeped out by them :(:arghh:

Actually from the little I've been able to 'get' (I don't know you, of course) from your posts/pics etc I think that you wouldn't have issues of all sort with every Theraphosidae you listed, seriously.

Get that damn 'OBT' :kiss:
That was very nice to read, thank you :kiss: I think I'm gonna go for it :D

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Get the H. pulchripes... they are SO. AWESOME! Mine is always out, webs like a fiend, and of course has an excellent feeding response. Can't go wrong with D. diamantinensis either.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree with @boina , the P. sazimai are great. I have 3 of them. They are great hunters and beautiful.