Next Step?

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My mother told me to day, that, thanks to their scentless ness, and lack of noise making... She doesnt care how many tarantulas I get, so long as I pay for them. So, I currently have a rosie, a B boehmei sling, and an A avic juvie, which I got yesterday. My goal, or target I suppose, is an H lividum, but Im not used to skittish or defensive Ts at the moment.. So, basically, what do you guys think would be a good step up, to get used to the more agressive T, before finding I cant take care of it?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My mother told me to day, that, thanks to their scentless ness, and lack of noise making... She doesnt care how many tarantulas I get, so long as I pay for them. So, I currently have a rosie, a B boehmei sling, and an A avic juvie, which I got yesterday. My goal, or target I suppose, is an H lividum, but Im not used to skittish or defensive Ts at the moment.. So, basically, what do you guys think would be a good step up, to get used to the more agressive T, before finding I cant take care of it?
I would go for a GBB(Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens), Aphonopelma seemanni, Acanthoscurria geniculata, or Lasiodora parahybana. All of those species mentioned are skittish, but not very defensive, atleast no where near the defensiveness of a Hapopelma lividum. Either one of the species I mentioned should be a good transition.

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I also wouldn't go for the haplopelma unless you're fond of never seeing your new pet. And it's defensiveness shouldn't be a problem because you'll never get to interact with it once its burrowed in. Heh.

icenola

Arachnopeon
Novak makes some good suggestions...

the A.geniculata would be my choice of the group he made. Fun one to have..{D {D {D

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sweet, those are all on my wish list too. Its gonna be tough to decide... Always wanted an L parahybana... and GBBs look awesome..as do genics... lol, well, no erstraints on numbers..so perhaps, all of em when I do, haha

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I say get an OBT

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
OBT's are cool They web alot and you see them in nice threat displays and you see them way more often then most all the Haplopelmas. Plus, this is one T that is practically indistructable. Pretty too. Actually, I can't think of a negative to mention with an OBT.

jester240

Arachnopeon
OBT's

Yes OBT's are a very nice species. But must worn you, everyone calls them Orange Bitty Thing--OBT
Thought I would just put that out there. Not for the novise

Sequin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd suggest to just get the Lividum. (Though you'll rarely see it)

One of my first tarantulas was a subadult H. Maculata. You'll adjust to their speed and behaviour pretty quick, just be cautious. And personally, I find my haplopelma species much slower/less defensive then my OBT's.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My OBT has never given a threat display... it just goes and hides so I guess you might get a more subdued one like mine.. just thought I would mention it.. I love all of my A. genics... so that is what I would suggest... have fun...

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would recomend the GBB, this is one of the most entertaining spiders I own.
Always out in the open, healthy eater, amazing colours, big time webber.

Oh, you do realize your mom may like the T's for how quiet and the lack of smell. But, do you realize feeding many T's requires many smelly, noisy crickets. There are other options, but many cringe at the thought of a roach colony in thier home.

Something to consider.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
How about a Phormictopus cancerides?
Mine seens to have a little bit of an attitude, stays out in the open, and man can this thing eat.:eek:
They look real nice as well.

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
get the OBT dude is an awesome T.. (I have an H lividum is great T and beautiful but like everybody says you will never see it again only seldom you will see your pet hole).. or why don't you try with an A geniculata?? is awsome too ;P

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I say get an OBT sling...

they are VERY CHEAP, * I may be giving some away*

You'll grow familiar with their behavior as it gets bigger.

if you are interested PM me.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would recomend the GBB, this is one of the most entertaining spiders I own.
Always out in the open, healthy eater, amazing colours, big time webber.

Oh, you do realize your mom may like the T's for how quiet and the lack of smell. But, do you realize feeding many T's requires many smelly, noisy crickets. There are other options, but many cringe at the thought of a roach colony in thier home.

Something to consider.
Yep, realize the cricket part. I always have around 2 dozen at a time now, she doesnt mind em...and they can go in the garage if they get too annoying :p

Hmm..didnt think about OBT... Im gonna have to consider those too..lol

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I guess OBT and Lividium are both good choices. Bear in mind they both have
the ability to run up the tongs you use to clean their enclosure or the turkey
baster you use to fill their water dish so stay alert when you service them.
I have a Nhandu Chromatus who is skittish and fast but he doesn't do much
threatening. One of those might also be a good choice.:D ;) {D

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Okay, I agree with several of the suggestions already made, but if the voice of experience counts for anything, I'd really recommend that if you aren't sure if you can handle an H. lividum, then do not get the P. murinus (OBT), H. maculata, or P. cancerides. All are fast, all take very little to set them off. And while all are fascinating and lively Ts to keep, if you don't think you can handle them, you might not be ready to. I've talked to several people who have gotten them, found out the speed and defensiveness of one or more of these species was beyond what they were comfortable with, and then promptly turned around and gave or sold them to someone else.

To some extent the N. chromatus is right up there or above the H. lividum in comparison with temperment. If you're not sure what you would be comfortable with, then I would second the recommendation about the L. parahybana and A. geniculata. Both get very big, and both consider everything that enters their enclosure as food until proven differently. This tendency to jump on and sometimes even mouth everything that sets off the slightest vibration (up to and including just filling their water dish) is what has led a lot of folks to consider them aggressive/defensive. If you've got your heart set on a Nhandu, I'd recommend the carapoensis. It's not as colorful as the chromatus or the coloratovillosis, but both of the latter can get very, very snarky with very, very little provocation.

That said, my first T was an OBT and my second the H. lividum. No collection is complete without them, and not all are as difficult to deal with as their reputations suggest. But my recommendation (and you can take that for what it's worth) would be to wait to get them until you feel comfortable taking them on.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just another thought. Even quick and defensive T's are easy to deal with, with or without experience, becuase if you give them a hide or let them make one of their own and you are never invasive of thier hide, You've nothing to worry about. They'll be so defensive and so quick to get back into the hide, the little meanies will let you do cage maintainance and usually not cause a problem. I give all of my T's a hide and I've never had any issue with any of my defensive T's when I give them heads up and time to get in their hide. If you keep these defensive T's in a deli cup, there is not much room for error but if you put and OBT in a medium kritter keeper with a piece of cork bark and or a hide, and respect them, you will have no problems.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm, thanks for the info guys! I think I like the Genic and Parahybana idea. I could probably handle the H lividum, but Id rather be entirely positive before I get myself in too deep :p It might be a bit longer now anyway, as mom is moving in a month or so :) Eventually, parahybana and genic might be next :p

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
parahybana or OBT

Get the para if you want a bold, out all the time T. Get the OBT for its bright coloration, but will make a web and mostly stay in it. Mine sits an inch below the web entrance, with her bright orange legs sticking out.