Next scorpion suggestions

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Even with expecting three spinigerus broods, i'm interested in branching out into another species.

I have been reading here & watching the sales forum & researching the species that are catching my eye. However, there are so many species & it seems like picking the wrong species seems like it can be so easily done, i'm overwhelmed :) Right now I think I am interested in C. gracilis (FL variation).

Figured i'd post what criteria I am working with & see if anyone has any more suggestions:

- Not huge & definitely nothing that shines, emperors gross me out (I know, weird.)
- Nothing terribly, terribly hot. Not for my sake, but for anyone else staying at my house.
- Would love a species that lives vertically. I have a 12x12x18 exo terra i'm looking to fill with something as none of my tarantulas will be suitable for it for quite a while. Doesn't have to be one that lives in bark, I think I could do a rock dweller if I stack just right.
- Would like something that is simple to care for.

Last edited:

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i would go with an emperor, just because you said that they gross you out. stuff that creeped or grossed me out before have become some of my favorites.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol! Nooo, I also don't want to do the high humidity and other care criteria that goes with emps.

ryan88

Arachnopeon
If you prefer bark scorpion. Go with any Centruroides species. It's not that expensive and easily available. You can easy fit a colony with your enclosure.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, the FL C. gracilis is at the top of my list at the moment. There are a couple of other species that have caught my eye, but I can't think of them off the top of my head at the moment.

To bad I have to worry about other people, I wouldn't mind taking extra precaution to keep some of hotter species.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just wanted to update, through a series of awesomeness, my next species will be V. waueri :D

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey, just wanted to give you some terrarium ideas since I am familiar with this species and its habitat. :)

If you want to put the adults in your exoterra, you can. Of course, they are suited to many other kinds of terrariums, and you could save that one for your next specie. But, if you want to put the V. waueri adults in there, this is what I would do, but keep in mind you can always loose a specimen or two in communals!

I would take a clay, sand, and coco mix, and make a little shallow 3 in wide flat level on one side. Then make a 5" or so 30*-45* hill and cover most of it with slate or other rocks. Then repeat until you reach the top flat. Then fill the flats with smaller but suitable rocks with or without pre-formed scrapes, depending on how hard your substrate is. That should work out really well if that's what YOU want to do.

Of course, if you have any questions ask away. :)

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey, just wanted to give you some terrarium ideas since I am familiar with this species and its habitat. :)

If you want to put the adults in your exoterra, you can. Of course, they are suited to many other kinds of terrariums, and you could save that one for your next specie. But, if you want to put the V. waueri adults in there, this is what I would do, but keep in mind you can always loose a specimen or two in communals!

I would take a clay, sand, and coco mix, and make a little shallow 3 in wide flat level on one side. Then make a 5" or so 30*-45* hill and cover most of it with slate or other rocks. Then repeat until you reach the top flat. Then fill the flats with smaller but suitable rocks with or without pre-formed scrapes, depending on how hard your substrate is. That should work out really well if that's what YOU want to do.

Of course, if you have any questions ask away. :)
Actually I think i'm going to end up just selling the exo terra. I'm going to put the waueri in my 2.5gal that the V. spinigerus were in, all of them are seperated for right now until they birth. I have a strong plastic tub i'm probably going to redo for the spinigerus when i'm ready to put them back together.

Getting ready to head to a place with western union then the gym :D

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Babycurus jacksoni or Babycurus gigas aren't very hot and can live in verticle enclosures. You might like them better than Centruroides gracilis

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Babycurus jacksoni or Babycurus gigas aren't very hot and can live in verticle enclosures. You might like them better than Centruroides gracilis
Hehe, i'm going to hold off on a third species for right now :D Between the group i'm getting & the impending births from my girls, I could easily have a 100 scorpions here shortly, lol.