next project.

jimip

Arachnosquire
so everything is stable and my ts are doing great, so im working my next project. im thinking a L. parabana or a burgandi. i realy dont want to get in over my head. so i want some extra insight. so any tips and techniques would be lovely.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
so everything is stable and my ts are doing great, so im working my next project. im thinking a L. parabana or a burgandi. i realy dont want to get in over my head. so i want some extra insight. so any tips and techniques would be lovely.
When you say "project" i assume you mean buying a new addition and possible future breeding?

"In over your head" meaning care requirments and defensiveness?

I say the LP would be very easy to care for. No extra humidity needed and room temp is fine. They can be a bit skittish but not too defensive. They get big and love to sit out in the open.

The T. blondi is one of the most challenging to maintain. I dont recommend them to anyone new. They need to be kept on damp substrate at all times. Humidity is a must and they seem to thrive in higher temperatures (83-88) Food boluses must be removed daily because the moisture will promote mold, mites and parasites alike. They can be very defensive and there hairs are one of the most irritating. And there is always those big chompers to watch out for. If or when you get a Theraphosa make sure you buy a CB (captive bred) T. Parasites have been found in WC (wild caught) specimens. Some of wich didnt prove fatal until a year in captivity.

There maybe other choices you have not considered as far as large terrestrials go. I recommend looking into the genus Pamphobeteus and Grammostola. I assume your looking for a large display T.. Maybe something a bit more striking? Whats your price range?

Edit: If you want to breed this T remember that LP have 1000-3000 per sack.

Last edited:

jimip

Arachnosquire
by project i mean taking in and caring for a new level of comfort and care in my hobby i love lp's and always wanted one. its kind of a big step and not a big deal at the same time. i love Pamphobeteus, but i really want to try my hand at "bird eaters" this "project" is in its information phase and funding will come when i have a steady plan. im not going to jump into it, over my head would be buying a large species and having no idea what i need.

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
Pamphobeteus can be considered bird eaters its just not in their common name which they dont really matter much. like the other post stated i would go with an lp bc of the extra things involved in blondis. i wouldnt trade my Lp's for anything always in the open, always hungry, rapid growth rate, and has a very confident attitude which i love. my female Lp is always in the open unless shes coming up on a molt... you wont regret gettin one they r extremely awesome T's in every aspect of the hobby!!!

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I say the LP would be very easy to care for. No extra humidity needed and room temp is fine. They can be a bit skittish but not too defensive. They get big and love to sit out in the open.

There maybe other choices you have not considered as far as large terrestrials go.
I agree with the lp...also consider the A. genniculata it gets very big and is "prettier" than the lp

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LP is your best bet, I've got two big ones and they are great. Mo special care needed.

mitchrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i like my sp.'guyana' a lot more than my LP. IMO they really arent that hard to care for. ive had WCs and CBs and have grown many up from 3"-7"+, males and females. if you have been keeping Ts and are comfortable with caring for them, and set up the tank right, i think you'll enjoy keeping a bird eater. keep the humidity a little bit higher (restricted ventilation), and give it a tank big enough to really burrow into and it should be fine to be honest.

LPs are alright, not my personal cup of T. IMO klugi are better looking and ive seen some MONSTERS. but theyre very easy to care for.

p.antinous are awsome. i have a pretty big female that is super mellow. she never flicks hairs, or gets defensive, i can pick her up easily (makes taking pictures easy!). theyre total pigs. theyre not as heavy looking as LPs, but still get pretty huge. just thought id throw that out there :eek:

jimip

Arachnosquire
i love that solid tank look of the lp. every suggestion here is great.... you guys are awsome.... but unhelpful. instead of an idea i have a list... this is going to get expensive. A. genniculata is something i havent seen till now but is awsome. how much do those usualy go for?