next project

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi all,
Thought I'd share with you my next project.

sideview shot. It's blurry because of the glass

male and female together

size difference pics (I could not get them to stand still side by side)

MEXICOYA415

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's good as it seems as there has been a shortage as of late. How long is the gestation period because mines been looking like a football for quite a while now.

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
damn... guess i still have to get some more experience. If you don't mind me asking, what would be obvious differences in the two?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
damn... guess i still have to get some more experience. If you don't mind me asking, what would be obvious differences in the two?
The metasoma (tail) on Parabuthus spp is noticably more "hairy"

P transvaalicus

A crassicauda

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool. No mating? You have any flat rocks in there? Maybe that'd help if there aren't any in there(?). Any chance she's already gravid? Just throwing stuff out there, I've never had that species.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool. No mating? You have any flat rocks in there? Maybe that'd help if there aren't any in there(?). Any chance she's already gravid? Just throwing stuff out there, I've never had that species.
there's flat rock but nothing yet. I seperated them today and place them in a 10 gallon split tank. The male is finally eating a cricket and isn't wandering around the enclosure unlike the previous set-up. I will keep them seperate until friday or sunday then I will remove their divider and try again :D. I'm almost 95% sure that he wants to mate but they just need to get settled in their new enclosure before I pair them up again {D .

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The other day my male P. traansvalicus arrived from switzerland. He had been in the box over a week. When I added him to the female's cage he explored for about 2 minutes then found the female. They then proceeded to mate right away. I was shocked to see them mate so quickly.

Tom

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The other day my male P. traansvalicus arrived from switzerland. He had been in the box over a week. When I added him to the female's cage he explored for about 2 minutes then found the female. They then proceeded to mate right away. I was shocked to see them mate so quickly.

Tom
it's the samething with my Orthochirus. I put them together and they mated after 10 seconds. But with my l.q's is alittle different. It took the guy 1 week to mate and another week to mate with another female then there was my H.judaicus who would only mate when it's dark and the temps are low. 3 species under my care are different.

Maybe my female A.crass isn't adult yet? But it's impossible because she 9cm or more right now.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ed,

I suggest you put a wood or rock climb. I had the same problem when I was mating my P. trans. They just wouldn't mate on the flat rock until I placed a piece of driftwood. The male immediately dragged the female on top. This might work for your crassicauda.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ed,

I suggest you put a wood or rock climb. I had the same problem when I was mating my P. trans. They just wouldn't mate on the flat rock until I placed a piece of driftwood. The male immediately dragged the female on top. This might work for your crassicauda.
I just put a piece of driftwood, added a couple rock climb and let's see what will happen.

Thanks Ninno.

MEXICOYA415

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well now that I have some people here a bit more knowledgable, can anyone here verify that this is Androctonus mauritanicus. Looks like it to me but i just want to make sure for future breading projects. Also besides using the palps as a reference. I have heard that only A.M. has an extra bit of granulation on the second to last Metasomal segment and the one above it.

Am I correct in believing this? Here is one of my specimens with the granulation pointed out in red.

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l146/Mexicoya/?action=view&current=101_0159-1.jpg

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks like an A mauri to me. The plural membrane of this sp is a charcoal grey like yours

MEXICOYA415

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah I was pretty sure about that but has anyone else heard of that granulatoin also being an indicator? I'll also try to get some pics tonight of what seems to be a very pregnant female.