Next! Our shiny new B. Smithi !

Phases

Arachnoknight
Picked this little fella' up yesterday! I put the right hide in last night and you can see s/he took right to it. You can spot 'er in there in a couple of those shots. Today I put the left one in so there would be choices and something bigger for next molt or two.

I got a small tank, very short, very small. Hoping it's not too big for now, and not too small very soon. I think it's about perfect for a while so if I hear anything different from anyone you can just shove it!

...just kidding heh. I did hot glue the dry moss on the edge of that rock i'm using for cover, as to help hold the inch of substrate that is on top of it, and protect against a fall.

Slow moving, nice fella, my goodness. A couple questions

1) I don't suppose s/he's old enough to guess at the gender? My gallery picture isn't getting any feedback. If he stretched his legs he'd hit about 3"

2) I have read putting a heating pad on one side of the tank is a good idea. However, he's near a window and this room stays between 77-82 generally. Thoughts? I do have a small one.

Anyway, behold!

20170619_073427.jpg 20170618_220631.jpg 20170619_102911.jpg 20170619_102958.jpg 20170619_095730.jpg 20170619_095747.jpg 20170619_054635.jpg

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
For sexing, you usually need a molt to see if it has (I believe) an epigastric furrow. If it does, female. No furrow is a male. The only other way to "guess" at the gender is to get a clear pic of the underside of the spider, right between the abdomen and the "head": but even then, it's nowhere near precise ;D If your room is about 75+, it is more than okay :D That T looks great, hope it's a female! :D Good luck, love Brachys :D

FrysLament

Arachnopeon
Tank looks good to me. I'm not a master of sexing T's, so I have no input on that. I don't believe a heating pad is necessary. Mine are in that temp range and are growing/ eating fine.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Looks female to me, going off the second pic. Definitely no need for any extra heat, and make sure the tank isn't in direct sunlight at any point in the day. Enclosures can heat up super quick in direct sunlight, and fry whatever's inside. I would put some clear packing tape all the way around the edge of the screen lid on the inside (stuck to the screen, so non sticky side facing the T) to discourage climbing on the screen. They can get they're tarsal claws stuck in the screen, but can't grip the smooth tape.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
Nice setup! I'm going to pile on @Ghost56's comments; a room's ambient is 77-82 is more than warm enough. Replacing the screen with an acrylic sheet with air holes would also increase safety as well as unobstructed, top down viewing.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
2) I have read putting a heating pad on one side of the tank is a good idea. However, he's near a window and this room stays between 77-82 generally. Thoughts? I do have a small one.
No heat mat, it's not needed @Phases, I'm in the UK, temps are mid 70's atm, if your comfortable in a t-shirt then your T's will be fine, that's the way most keepers determine the temps for all their T's, really there's no need for them especially inside a modern thermostatically controlled environment, nice looking B. hamorii, they're great T's to own, easy as.........ABC
Enjoy him/her not sure if you mentioned sex, they're great eaters as well, very docile, mines never kicked hairs, both were as calm as could be, at room temperature, No heat mats here, converted from using them, to NOT NEEDED.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Nice enclosure, change the screen top with acrylic as mentioned and your all set. Judging from the ventral pic you look to have a female.

The heat mat is unnecessary, also I would try to refrain from handling in the future, Ts can be unpredictable and a docile looking T could turn hostile if spooked, risky business. Just a heads up ;) again great looking enclosure man!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Congrats on new T!
B smithi should be comfortable at same temps you are -- I'd ditch the heat mat.

Many have used screen lids without incident -- but still, you have a risk factor with them. I'm sure you'll rig up something for additional safety.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Enclosures can heat up super quick in direct sunlight, and fry whatever's inside
1000% agree with this! Imagine a car under the sun. It's impressive how much heat can be stored in that space in a short amount of time. Be careful, man.

I bought a scorpion at a show recently who hit its thermal maximum in the deli cup on my way to my car. The direct sunlight on the cup for that little walk was enough to make the scorpion turn over and start convulsing. Freaked me out and sent me into a sprint to my car. Blasted the a/c on the cup to save it.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Nice looking setup, the only thing I can see that should be fixed is the lid. Metal mesh lives are bad for them since they can get their tarsal claws stuck in it. You should replace it with Pexi glass that has air holes drilled into it.

Also, give it a bigger water dish, one that is large enough for it to stick its face in and suck up a good drink.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Thanks!

1. Water dish, he's still a small guy but, I'll get maybe a gator-aide lid or something instead. but he's not much bigger than this heh.
2. I guess I can get a sheet of plexi glass or acrylic stuff and just make this new lid? Just cut out screen and glue that on, should do.

Phases

Arachnoknight
By the way I haven't been told this about screen until this thread. Does this apply to all tarantula's or just Smithi really, or terrestrial.. ? My Pink Toe and Salmon Pink both have screens. Neither have got on it really much though. Once or twice when first introduced to the terrariums, that's it that I know of..

..that I know of. heh. That said, I see no evidence of either leaving their burrows more than 6 inches so far.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
By the way I haven't been told this about screen until this thread. Does this apply to all tarantula's or just Smithi really, or terrestrial.. ? My Pink Toe and Salmon Pink both have screens. Neither have got on it really much though. Once or twice when first introduced to the terrariums, that's it that I know of..

..that I know of. heh. That said, I see no evidence of either leaving their burrows more than 6 inches so far.
It applies to terrestrials. Arboreals will be just fine with a screen, but you still shouldn't use one since it's much easier and more convenient for the enclosure to have a door that opens on the front instead of the top. That way, you won't destroy the web when you open it.

Phases

Arachnoknight
It applies to terrestrials. Arboreals will be just fine with a screen, but you still shouldn't use one since it's much easier and more convenient for the enclosure to have a door that opens on the front instead of the top. That way, you won't destroy the web when you open it.
Yah it has the front open door, but the top is a screen still. It also opens.

Thanks!!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

It applies to all tarantulas.

My terrestrials will leave their burrows or leave the substrate and climb to the top for no apparent reason at all. It's just something that they do.

Also, you should use the scientific names when talking about the different species. It eliminates confusion and makes it easier to know what we are talking about.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Screen is generally avoided for all Ts. Might as well not risk it. Most of their activity happens at night. So who knows how actively your spiders climb at night when you're asleep. Besides, acrylic is much more attractive, in my opinion...... as long as your holes are drilled nicely.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have read putting a heating pad on one side of the tank is a good idea. However, he's near a window and this room stays between 77-82 generally. Thoughts? I do have a small one.
Not needed at all with those temps. I keep mine at 68-70 night/70-75 day.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
No heat mat, it's not needed @Phases, I'm in the UK, temps are mid 70's atm, if your comfortable in a t-shirt then your T's will be fine, that's the way most keepers determine the temps for all their T's, really there's no need for them especially inside a modern thermostatically controlled environment, nice looking B. hamorii, they're great T's to own, easy as.........ABC
Enjoy him/her not sure if you mentioned sex, they're great eaters as well, very docile, mines never kicked hairs, both were as calm as could be, at room temperature, No heat mats here, converted from using them, to NOT NEEDED.
Since you are from the UK I am curious about temps in the winter I don't use a heat mat, but in the winter I imagine some sort of heating would be required?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Since you are from the UK I am curious about temps in the winter I don't use a heat mat, but in the winter I imagine some sort of heating would be required?
No, I don't use heat mats at all, if your comfortable in the room your T's are kept in, then the spiders are comfortable, we have modern housing, central heating etc. I'm up in Scotland, but outside temps rarely get to a point where you need to use a heat mat, if temps do get to a point where I feel they are on the low side(below 20 Celsius) I just turn up the heating by a degree or two, hope this helps......