Next bird spider......And a bit of dillema

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello everyone!

I will be visiting exotic animal fair in austria in middle of september end I am in a bit of dillema, wich spider would I get. I have three on the list, but only one will get home. The spiders in question are P. irminia, P. cambridgei and A. geniculata.

Now I made extensive research of all of them, from the habitats they come from, the climate and weather there etc. Now the thing is I don't know wich one should I get becouse from all the reasearch and pictures I can't choose!

So I ask everyone of you to give me a bit of your experience that you have with them, becouse this kind input would be very . Just state with real pros and cons about each of them you have, please don't go like: "get this one becouse of the colour" etc. :)

Thank you for all the info you can provide me and when I get the spider I'll make sure to tell/will show wich one will be. :)

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
When you see them all up close when you get there, I'm sure you'll know which one you'll want to get. ;)

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Either of the Psalmopoeus. Attitude and color? What more could you want.

Do not have a P. cambridgei but I do have two P. irminia. They are still small around the 2-3" mark. They hide a lot. I never see the larger of the two. But when I do see them and see them feed. I am glad I have them.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
P. cambridgei is a tad easier than P. irminia for most keepers, and both are more tolerant that any Avicularia to stress. While a bit muted, P. cambridgei is an awesome animal when full grown, and my number 1 suggestion when anyone is thinking about going with arboreals.

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I own all three and I think they are all great Ts. I don't think you can go wrong no matter which you choose. If I had to pick one to keep, it would be my genic. He's beautiful and I love the massive size jump with each molt. He's also the least skittish out of the three.

Helix

Arachnopeon
Personally I prefer irminia over the cambridgei, the leg markings just stand out more on the black irminia. But if you like terrestrials more, and dont have any T thats similar to the A.geniculata (like N.chromatus), go with geniculata.
They eat like garbage trucks, and it should be more in the open then the psalmopeus. Both irminia and cambridgei are nice, but they like their web curtains very much, and they take only occasional late night stroll out.

But my advice would be - get P.irminia and A. geniculata :)

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd say get both the pslam ;)

Love my P. cambridgei. Just got it last week & haven't stopped drooling over it. Mine is working on it's web, but I still see it outside quite a bit. My P. reduncus sling is pretty cool also. An irminia is next on my list.

Reptiliatus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was just vivsiting my family in Austria! Your in great luck as there is a great Tarantula breeder who has dozens of each of the species you are looking for available and at decent sizes too :). Here is his website with contact info. Send him an email and he will help you.

http://http://www.zoo-sperrer.com

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
Get one of the Psalmopoeus! they are truely wonderfull T's and Most deffinatly one of my personal favorites.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you everyone for your input so far an I greatly appreciate it! I have some questions still though...

P. cambridgei is a tad easier than P. irminia for most keepers, and both are more tolerant that any Avicularia to stress. While a bit muted, P. cambridgei is an awesome animal when full grown, and my number 1 suggestion when anyone is thinking about going with arboreals.
How do you mean that is easier to keep exactly? How do you mean that they are more tolerant to stress? How do you mean they are a bit muted?

I heard and read that both P. cambridgei and P. irminia are hiding mostly and they come out the night.... How much do they hide?

I curently have a B. smithi female wich I had from size of 6 cm LS (2,3 inches) for more than an year and I have A. versicolor that I got it same size and I have her for more than half an year now. I read lots of forums and websites, even my friend who sold me both of the spiders(and told me that he has a P. irminia female about 10 cm LS (3.7 inches) for sale) that A. versicolors hide in their webs for most of the time. Mine is a bit difrent though, she's always outside her web and near the enclosure door and waiting for me to feed her. When she gets her treat she goes wit it to her web and after he's finished comes out on the open again.

That skittish behaviour and speed is not a big of concern since I'm not going to poke them or handle them anyway. Get them outside the enclosure every 6 months or once a year the clean it up and thats it, you you can say that I have some experience.

How much aprox. do all three grow up? I just want to have a bit of aprox measurments what to expect though I know there special cases that are larger/smaller. My friend had P. subfusca that was 27 cm LS (10.6 inches). Now that was some seight to see!(With the P. subfusca I just gave an example that size is not always the same:)).

Another question would be, what kind of eaters are all of three of them? What experience do you have when you feed them? They eat much? Not that much? Playing long term diet?

I was just vivsiting my family in Austria! Your in great luck as there is a great Tarantula breeder who has dozens of each of the species you are looking for available and at decent sizes too :). Here is his website with contact info. Send him an email and he will help you.

http://http://www.zoo-sperrer.com
Thank you very much for this! I will make sure to check out his stalls while I will be in Austria(the fair is 27th of september).;)

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He just means that most keepers seem to agree that P. Cambridgei is lease defensive then P. Irminia. And of course it's colors are "muted" compared to the P. Irminia's blackness.

I say get what floats your boat. Personally the cambridgei does more for me, and my reduncus, then the irminia.

Also, my cabridgei is alway out several inches away from it's webbing. Only retreats if I bump it's table accidentally.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah I see. Well I didn't seen so muteded colurs, its just difrent, I love both of the coloring they have. :) Well I have decided that I will get P. cambridgei, if I get a little female around 5 cm LS(2 inches) or so. Otherwise I'll get P. irminia female that my friend has, she is about 10 cm LS(3,7 inches).

Last edited:

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
we already know what tommy is going to say so i will plus 1 for him on p irmina and plus 2 for me :p