Next Arboreal

MontePython

Arachnosquire
Well. Due to the rule of "Sometimes Stuff Happens" I am currently sitting on an empty arboreal enclosure (an adapted 3L braplast).

The previous occupant was a P. gigas I raised up from a 1cm sling who wouldn't eat and who more than quadrupled in size over winter, only to mysteriously die on me this weekend. I'm honestly kind of gutted because I was really proud of how he was doing, and he was acting normally up until he wasn't (abruptly found him on his back on Saturday evening - he had moulted only two weeks prior, and by Sunday afternoon he was gone).

I'm probably not going to refill the enclosure immediately because I need a little time to digest but for now I'm thinking about it to kind of cope.

As much as I'd love to get another P. gigas about the same size as him (because I don't really want to start from scratch right now), there's not anyone selling them above 1-2cm at the moment that I know of, so I was looking at other species, but honestly I don't have many arboreals - most of mine are terrestrials or fossorials, so I thought I'd ask for some recommendations for species and why you like them!

The arboreals I currently I have:
0.0.1 P. striata (~2in)
0.0.1 P. tigrinawesseli (~1.5in)
0.0.1 P. regalis (~0.78in)
0.0.1 Cyriopagopus/Omothymus sp. 'hati hati' (~0.78in) [this one was a surprise freebie, and at this stage is like...semi-arboreal - has a dirt funnel and burrow but also likes squeezing into hollow areas in the cork, which is standard for these guys apparently]

In the meanwhile, pour one out for Ziggy Stardust, the only one of my tarantulas my father truly loved (sorry about the HUGE glare - this one hasn't been cleaned up in photoshop)
20210327_010931.jpg

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Since you’re already keeping some of Poecilotheria, why not go for Poecilotheria rufilata.

If not I want to recommend any of Psalmopoeus as well.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Since you’re already keeping some of Poecilotheria, why not go for Poecilotheria rufilata.
I completely support this post. Rufilata are the best, and they don't break your bank.
My fave Pokie
I also have a regalis (again under rated), formosa and vittata

MontePython

Arachnosquire
@BoyFromLA @Matt Man How's the overall temperament on P. rufilata in your experience? I won't lie, when I was getting my 2nd and 3rd pokies (the striata and regalis), I definitely was eyeing them up because those colours are gorgeous, but I've read they get quite large and wasn't sure what they were like (whereion as I can't swing a cat without hitting information about regalis (not that I mind - I fell in love with mine immediately and it's nice to know what to expect)). I don't see them quite as often as regalis and tigrinawesseli over here for some reason, but when I do they're frequently pretty cheap, which is nice!

I've had Psalmopoeus recommended before, but I can never figure out which one to spring for - irminia seems to be a firm favourite, but pulcher stands out a little more to me (once in a blue moon I see ecclesiasticus or victori but not often!)

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
You already have so many amazing OW's I back the idea of a Psalmopoeus, any of them.

Cambridgei was my favorite, but I have been eyeing a couple Pulchers, or maybe Reduncus myself.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@BoyFromLA @Matt Man How's the overall temperament on P. rufilata in your experience? I won't lie, when I was getting my 2nd and 3rd pokies (the striata and regalis), I definitely was eyeing them up because those colours are gorgeous, but I've read they get quite large and wasn't sure what they were like (whereion as I can't swing a cat without hitting information about regalis (not that I mind - I fell in love with mine immediately and it's nice to know what to expect)). I don't see them quite as often as regalis and tigrinawesseli over here for some reason, but when I do they're frequently pretty cheap, which is nice!

I've had Psalmopoeus recommended before, but I can never figure out which one to spring for - irminia seems to be a firm favourite, but pulcher stands out a little more to me (once in a blue moon I see ecclesiasticus or victori but not often!)
I’ve owned P rufi as well, they are good behaviorally, not as skittish as P met, not as laid back as regalia IME.

Get an Avic!

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I'd say it's a crime you don't have a Psalmopoeus yet. Can't go wrong with P irminia. P cambridgei are nice too. P victori are super trendy at the moment so they sell out fast.

If you don't want a Psalmo, Phormingochilus sp rufus look pretty cool. I picked one up a few months ago and so far it's a fierce little eater

MontePython

Arachnosquire
Ok! So I've done some looking around, and it looks like both P. rufilata and Phormingochilus sp. 'rufus' are pretty easy to find over here in a variety of sizes.

Same goes for the 'big 4' for Psalmopoeus. P. ecclesiasticus and P. victori are much less common/more expensive and generally only as slings.

Taps are super hot and cold over here in my experience? A few months ago I couldn't swing a cat without hitting someone with Tap slings or juvies, and now it's like a ghost town over here. A couple people have some T. violaceus slings (1-3cm range), and I've seen T. rasti up as well. Biggest one I've seen is a 9cm (~3.5in) female T. latipes.

Avics on the other hand there seems to be a pretty wide range of species and morphs available? Two of the places with pretty good deals on rufilata have A. geroldi and A. avicularia "morphotype 6" (is that the ex metallica?), one guy has some nearly 2in purpurea, which I love the look of but they're kind of pricey (running about 40 quid each, which could be typical, but I've seen them just under an inch for less than half that). A couple people do have standard Avic avics as well in the 1-2cm range, and of course, there's a pretty big range of sizes for C. versicolor floating around.

So lots to think about! For Avic owners - do you find significant differences between species and/or morphotypes? Or are they more or less fundamentally similar? Same question for Tap keepers, as my primary experience with them is a species that is apparently fairly similar but is only formerly known as a Tap haha

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
In my experience, C. versicolor seems to be a little more hardy and more active than most of the Avics. Sweet looking slings too! Best looking sling goes to Y. diversipes, though.
Most of my other suggestions have already been stated. I'm partial to Rufilatas as I'm rearing 2 right now. Watching their colors come in is very rewarding. The greens under the red hair is just amazing!