News Pertaining school and scorpions

Radamanthys

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not a scorpion person, but i just thougt i would share this with you guys

http://noticias.terra.com.br/brasil/galeria/0,,OI80849-EI306-FI947474,00.html

It's in portugues, so i'll translate

São Paulo: Scorpions are found in school nursery.

1st picture: 17 scorpions were found in the whole school.

2nd picture: This specimen was found in the nursery, while the babies sleep.

3rd picture: Mayor said that will decide what is going to become of the school after a position from the Health Surveillance

4th picture: All the 40 children that were in the school got replaced on other municipal schools.

Can anyone identify the scorpions?

Nungunugu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would also say it's T.serrulatus. Brazils most venomous scorpion.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It is T.serrulatus and I hope they exterminate all specimens and relocate the baby's.

PS. this might sound harsh about the extermination, but T.serrulatus is a down right PEST in some of the urban areas in Brazil. Most definetly not a threatened species or anything.

Radamanthys

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is T.serrulatus and I hope they exterminate all specimens and relocate the baby's.

PS. this might sound harsh about the extermination, but T.serrulatus is a down right PEST in some of the urban areas in Brazil. Most definetly not a threatened species or anything.
These things are EVERYWHERE in big cities such as São Paulo. So may hides, so much food

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
they're parthenogenic, so all that needs to happen is one gets loose, and all of the sudden you have a massive infestation of one of the western hemisphere's deadliest scorpions. and though they come from a humid environment my experience has been that they are very adaptable and can take drought conditions very well. If ever there was a scorpion that intimidates me, this is probably it. It's frightening to think about what might happen if a small group were to make it in to say florida, georgia, east TX, etc. they are possibly more prolific than even cockroaches, with a very nasty sting to back it up.

John

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they're parthenogenic, so all that needs to happen is one gets loose, and all of the sudden you have a massive infestation of one of the western hemisphere's deadliest scorpions. and though they come from a humid environment my experience has been that they are very adaptable and can take drought conditions very well. If ever there was a scorpion that intimidates me, this is probably it. It's frightening to think about what might happen if a small group were to make it in to say florida, georgia, east TX, etc. they are possibly more prolific than even cockroaches, with a very nasty sting to back it up.

John
My dark side wishes that would happen.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My dark side wishes that would happen.
scorpions are fun when they are in cages or in the wild, but to have something that hot completely infesting every possible nook and cranny is a bit much even for me.

John

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well their has been more deaths do to the centruroides, but suit yourself.

Last edited:

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What one letter missing in a sentence can do. Amazing.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
its a more remote area with worse medical facilities than brazil, thats why more people die, not because of toxicity.

John

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So you're saying Tityus have a more toxic venom then the dangerous Centruroides species?

I was sure it was the opposite.

winter_in_tears

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

How would you feel if they exterminate YOU?

deathwing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well if a T.s. gets loose then within a decade all of the roaches in the city will be gone. And free T. serrulatus for everyone!

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
im almost positive that Tityus are much more toxic than almost any centruroides, but i am more than happy t oeat my own words and apologize if proven wrong.

John