Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

News Pertaining school and scorpions

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Radamanthys, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Advertisement
    I'm not a scorpion person, but i just thougt i would share this with you guys

http://noticias.terra.com.br/brasil/galeria/0,,OI80849-EI306-FI947474,00.html

It's in portugues, so i'll translate

São Paulo: Scorpions are found in school nursery.

1st picture: 17 scorpions were found in the whole school.

2nd picture: This specimen was found in the nursery, while the babies sleep.

3rd picture: Mayor said that will decide what is going to become of the school after a position from the Health Surveillance

4th picture: All the 40 children that were in the school got replaced on other municipal schools.

Can anyone identify the scorpions?

2. gh0001356

gh0001356 Arachnosquire Old Timer

Could be Tityus serrulatus.

3. Nungunugu

Nungunugu Arachnosquire

I would also say it's T.serrulatus. Brazils most venomous scorpion.

4. calum

calum Arachnoprince

looks like A tityus species. serrulatus?

5. Michiel

Michiel Arachnoking Old Timer

It is T.serrulatus and I hope they exterminate all specimens and relocate the baby's.

PS. this might sound harsh about the extermination, but T.serrulatus is a down right PEST in some of the urban areas in Brazil. Most definetly not a threatened species or anything.

6. These things are EVERYWHERE in big cities such as São Paulo. So may hides, so much food

7. send some over here. I'll take them all. lol. no need to kill.

8. pandinus

pandinus Arachnoking Old Timer

they're parthenogenic, so all that needs to happen is one gets loose, and all of the sudden you have a massive infestation of one of the western hemisphere's deadliest scorpions. and though they come from a humid environment my experience has been that they are very adaptable and can take drought conditions very well. If ever there was a scorpion that intimidates me, this is probably it. It's frightening to think about what might happen if a small group were to make it in to say florida, georgia, east TX, etc. they are possibly more prolific than even cockroaches, with a very nasty sting to back it up.

John

9. Aztek

Aztek Arachnoprince

My dark side wishes that would happen.

10. pandinus

scorpions are fun when they are in cages or in the wild, but to have something that hot completely infesting every possible nook and cranny is a bit much even for me.

John

11. Aztek

Aztek Arachnoprince

I've lived in a place like that. :)

12. pandinus

give me a house full of limpidus or infamatus over serrulatus any day.

BTW for those who are lost this is the scorp in question
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

john

13. Aztek

Aztek Arachnoprince

Well their has been more deaths do to the centruroides, but suit yourself.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  14. cjm1991

cjm1991 Arachnoprince Old Timer

I found this very interesting.

15. Aztek

Aztek Arachnoprince

What one letter missing in a sentence can do. Amazing.

16. pandinus

its a more remote area with worse medical facilities than brazil, thats why more people die, not because of toxicity.

John

17. Aztek

Aztek Arachnoprince

So you're saying Tityus have a more toxic venom then the dangerous Centruroides species?

I was sure it was the opposite.

18. How would you feel if they exterminate YOU?

19. deathwing

deathwing Arachnoknight

Well if a T.s. gets loose then within a decade all of the roaches in the city will be gone. And free T. serrulatus for everyone!

20. pandinus

im almost positive that Tityus are much more toxic than almost any centruroides, but i am more than happy t oeat my own words and apologize if proven wrong.

John

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.