Newly molted MM.

Gods Spartan

Arachnopeon
This is Joe. Molted yesterday. Tell me your thoughts on his size. Check the water dish for reference. Definitely not a 7-8 inch T. He's about as big as my old MM G. rosea.

The cage is 10 inches deep. Seems to stretch out a tad past the middle if he was fully stretched. I'd put him a little over 5.
IMG_20170529_230116035_HDR.jpg IMG_20170529_230814631_HDR.jpg

Gods Spartan

Arachnopeon
I think it's a lesson for me. I'm still really new to the hobby. You hear about 7-8 inch pulchripies and LPs that rival blondis, but so far that info doesn't seem to be commonplace. Seems as though it's a roll of the dice and proper breeding.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I'd imagine that's a lesson well learned. There are usually a dozen people spreading around "what they've heard" in terms of maximum sizes for every one that can back up the claims with evidence... I think its wise to approach that sort of thing with a healthy skepticism. Regardless, that's a nice MM you've got there and I hope you do end up giving him a chance to reproduce.

cold blood

Staff member
I think it's a lesson for me. I'm still really new to the hobby. You hear about 7-8 inch pulchripies and LPs that rival blondis, but so far that info doesn't seem to be commonplace. Seems as though it's a roll of the dice and proper breeding.
7-8" are max sizes in reference to females....in many, if not most species, males tend to be smaller.

And even a 8" pulchripes will be dwarfed by an adult Theraposa...those are 10-11".

Size has little to do with proper or improper breeding...its just variance...in every sac there are large specimens and runts and a whole lot in between.