Newest family member (with pics)

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I picked this little guy/girl up today. I've wanted one for quite some time and finally decided to go ahead and get one. Yes, I know that as adults they are 6+ feet long, and yes I know it will need an extremely large custom enclosure with a pool - larger than even my Tegus custom enclosure. :)

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Toni, Awesome little water monitor! I've been contemplating getting one for about 20 years now.....still not quite ready yet. One nice pet and certainly a handful :)
Terry

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
:eek: That thing is so cute Toni! I wish I had the knowledge, time, & space for one of these.. Wont be getting one though.. No space for one.. :eek: Congrats though! :)

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nile monitors are awesome! Even if they are known to be a little grumpy ;)

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You have no clue how jealous i am of you! I just WISH I had room and a place to put a monitor...... although I think i'd go with one of those pretty tree monitors (the blue or green ones). I know they're not as big, but they would still need a nice sized enclosure.

super-pede

Arachnobaron
Awesome nile.I keep my water monitor in a 12x6 cage right now.he's 4 feet at the moment.good luck and welcome to the world of monitors.
:clap:

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I cannot beleive you got a Nile Toni

They are quite the Characters - I think I still have a little tooth of one in my thumb :p GL - J

mike w

Arachnopeon
Is it a nile monitor? Sure looks like it, with the yellow markings. I had one several years ago. Was WC when I purchsaed it. Was never able to calm it down!!!! Needed good pair of leather gloves to handle him!! Watch for the sharp claws and whipping tail! I loved that monitor though! Girlfriend at the time wasn't a fan and forced me to sell him.:8o

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There's just something about baby monitors that makes them so cute!
I kept a water monitor for a short while, a fun and painful experience.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Toni, Yeah, I realized I was probably wrong a moment after posting my first reply as water monitor. Just posted after a brief look. A friend several years ago lucked up on some high yellow water babies and they looked so close.

I'll add- don't get bit! I had a small one grab my pinky finger at an lps in Ft Lauderdale some years ago. The lizard was less than a foot but felt like vice-grip pliers with teeth. I could imagine what an adult would feel like. I was verbally warned shortly after about general nile monitor temperament. I decided afterward that if I ever got one it'd be a water. Nevertheless....Nice lizard!

Terry

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice pics! Good ol' Niles! Gotta love them ALMOST as much as they LOVE you! :) These guys are great! So full of piss-n-vinegar!

Big Red TJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Niles are a commitment..well all monitors are I hope you stick with it I really do. I have had many types over the years but I gotta say my favorites are the black roughnecks.