Newest addition...first non T!

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Got this little guy/gal about a week or so ago, finally took some pictures. Its a Linothele megatheloides sling and its awesome. Super fast, crazy webbing...seriously its spinnerets are half as long as its body and it webs while literally running around its cage at almost full speed.

Not super sharp pics of it (I really need to get a macro lens for my DSLR) but you can see it and its spinnerets as well as the webbing it has done so far. Its still very small...half an inch at most. Its just chilling in a corner right now after eating a cricket almost twice its size (pre-killed of course). Haven't named it yet...any ideas?

l-mega2.jpg

l-mega1.jpg

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Nice one, man. Their speed, hands down, doesn't belongs to this world :-s

Here in Italy we mostly owned L.fallax. Overall a very easy to care spider, always a nice 'plus' in a collection.

Oh btw wrong section :pompous:

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Thanks! Yeah its been pretty easy to care for so far. Few little pieces of cork for anchor points, a damp corner with some sphagnum moss and some drops of water on the webbing every few days or so and its a happy camper.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice choice. I believe this thread belongs in the True Spider subforum as it sure doesn't have a spine :D

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Got this little guy/gal about a week or so ago, finally took some pictures. Its a Linothele megatheloides sling and its awesome. Super fast, crazy webbing...seriously its spinnerets are half as long as its body and it webs while literally running around its cage at almost full speed.

Not super sharp pics of it (I really need to get a macro lens for my DSLR) but you can see it and its spinnerets as well as the webbing it has done so far. Its still very small...half an inch at most. Its just chilling in a corner right now after eating a cricket almost twice its size (pre-killed of course). Haven't named it yet...any ideas?

View attachment 217498

View attachment 217499

Can you tell me about the venom I was thinking about getting some but wasn't sure on potency.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Can you tell me about the venom I was thinking about getting some but wasn't sure on potency.
To be honest, I really don't know. I looked around before and there really isn't much information on it. Its a Mygalamorph so yes its technically in the same infraorder as other funnel web spiders and families such as Hexathelidae but they probably wouldn't be in the same ballpark as many of those as far as venom. There don't really seem to be bite reports anywhere.

I don't really plan on finding out but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something close to an OW or maybe a more potent NW. They also are not very defensive at all, mostly just skittish and VERY fast; they tend to run and hide when disturbed. So as long as you're not stupid, the chance of a bite is probably pretty low.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Without a clue about, I bet my money in something more potent than the average NW Theraphosidae (even if those aren't, just an example) still who knows...