Newby keeper

Andy Amey

Arachnopeon
Hello guys I'm a new keeper so very inexperience at the moment have a sling maybe 1cm Ieg span maybe 2cm at a push. It's a brachypelma bohemi

It isn't eating had it two weeks and not sure if it's in premolt or just being awkward. I did try a little beetle a reptile shop gave me to try but no go

Anyone gi e me a some help on what to look for or try.

Thanks!

IMG_20200124_204703.jpg

Drizzliz

Arachnopeon
Slow growing species, such as B. bohemi, can go a surprising amount of time without food. I've had a 1/2 B. auratum sling go over 200 days without a meal.

Your sling looks very plump, it will be good without food until it molts. It looks like the abdomen may be starting to darken up, so a molt may happen sooner than later.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
As said, Brachys can go ages without food even as tiny slings so you're just going to have to wait it out. It's plump but I don't see any signs of pre-moult just yet.

Keep an eye on the dark patch of hairs (called a "mirror patch") on the abdomen. as the new exoskeleton starts to form you should see a shiny dark spot form underneath (rather basic representation below as I don't have a photo handy).

Sling pre-moult.png

Eventually, as the spider gets closer to moulting, the rest of the abdomen will darken, followed by the legs, a sling in heavy pre-moult will look similar to the one below (this was taken a few hours prior to moulting).

Heavy pre-moult.JPG

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Everyone else already said the things so I just wanted to chime in and say WHAT A HECKIN' CHONKER!

I'd probably cut it off from snacks anyway at that size. It is super cute, though!