nikesh

Arachnopeon
Hi, i just got two emp scorpions a couple of days ago and have a few questions if yall could help answer them...
1. My tank keeps getting condensated on the inside...what could be the cause...is it that the tank isnt warm enough?

2. I have a Black light so they can glow and look cool lol....is this damaging to them in anyway, shape or form?

3. How many times a day do i feed them...i was told 2 crickets twice a week is that about right?

4. Can they die if the temp is not correct ( not too cold tho)

5. Are heat pads a good investment?

6. One has lost is sting when it was molting ( so the pet store guy told me)...would it ever grow back or is he stingless now?

7. Can i feed them something that isnt alive? i hate crickets lol!

8. Can i put sand in there tank instead of bark?

9. what temp should they ideally be kept at...?

i know theres alot of questions but any replies will be appreciated!

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats on two emps.

1- It means the tank is humid and the inside is warmer than the outside, so this is good and nothing to worry about.

2- Too much exposure to UV lights is damaging to scorpions, so use it in moderation (only to look at them for a few minutes, don't leave it on all the time)

3- 2 crickets twice a week sounds alright, but there is no set number. Just take out uneaten prey after 24 hours.

4- Yes they can. Here is a good caresheet with the optimum temperature range. Too high or too low is not healthy for them.
http://visualadvance.com/invertcare/caresheets/scorpions/Pandinus/Pandinusimperator.html

5- It depends on your setup. I have used them to give a small boost in temperature. It depends how much additional heat they need over room temperature. You could also use a heat lamp if you want.

6- It is not likely to grow back if it is an adult. Is it missing the tip or the entire stinger (Telson)?

7- Some people have fed pre-killed prey, but some scorpions may not accept it. You could try, at the worst you buy crickets anyway. Or you could try feeding roaches or other feeder insects.

8- Do not use sand or bark. Get a brick of coco fibre or a bag of peat moss and use that instead, as these allow for burrowing and hold humidity well.

9- See the care sheet above.

I hope this helps. If you need any more info, just do a search on the topic in this board, as it has probably already been covered.;)

Have fun.

Last edited:

Metallicaman999

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, i just got two emp scorpions a couple of days ago and have a few questions if yall could help answer them...
1. My tank keeps getting condensated on the inside...what could be the cause...is it that the tank isnt warm enough?

2. I have a Black light so they can glow and look cool lol....is this damaging to them in anyway, shape or form?

3. How many times a day do i feed them...i was told 2 crickets twice a week is that about right?

4. Can they die if the temp is not correct ( not too cold tho)

5. Are heat pads a good investment?

6. One has lost is sting when it was molting ( so the pet store guy told me)...would it ever grow back or is he stingless now?

7. Can i feed them something that isnt alive? i hate crickets lol!

8. Can i put sand in there tank instead of bark?

9. what temp should they ideally be kept at...?

i know theres alot of questions but any replies will be appreciated!
hey whats up im pretty new too and here are some of my experiences

1. its normal to have this its just a sign that the humidity is high and its good to have it high

2.you should only have that light on for about 30 seconds because any UV damages the scorp

3.feed them 1 ccket every other day, when you see them getting pretty plump i suggest feed them in betweem two days.

4. im sure they do if its too cold i always have my temp and humidity at 80 80 and hes done fine for the past month

5.for me they are backup for when my heating bulb pops, so i would stick with a red 50 watt heating bulb and it should be Infrared

6.im pretty sure its gone for good

7. no i just throw the crix in there at night for the scorp to eat or i put the crick in front of his face and he just snatches it.

8. no, make it a substrate like cocoa fiber and put something that it can hide in in the tank too.

9. the best temps are 90-F and humidity at the mid 80s but i may be wrong

good luck with your scorps and make sure to take out cricket parts the scorpions didnt eat because it will attract mites and you definitely dont want them there.

nikesh

Arachnopeon
Cheers guys you have been a tonne of help...
the scorps intire sting ( the bulb) has cme off...

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That might be a problem, but there isn't much you can do besides keep an eye on it.
The anus is located on the segment before the telson (Stinger) so if it was damaged there may be a problem, but lets hope it wasn't.