noodle

Arachnopeon
Good day to all, i'm a newbie regarding scorpion keeping, please give me advice on what type of scorpion should i purchase/keep according to:

1. low maintainance
2. low humidity
3. non-venomous/low level of venom
5. can be kept on 5galons tank forever
6. fast growing

every suggestions are highly appreciated

tnx

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
a Hadogenes paudensis meets 5 of your 6 standards. they are VERY low maintainance they live typicaly in a dry enviroment. Not very poisionous, If your keeping one 5 gallon wouldn't be bad. But they are not fast growning. If your interested I have a sub adult male I'm trying to get rid of.

noodle

Arachnopeon
a Hadogenes paudensis meets 5 of your 6 standards. they are VERY low maintainance they live typicaly in a dry enviroment. Not very poisionous, If your keeping one 5 gallon wouldn't be bad. But they are not fast growning.
Thanks sir for suggestion

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good day to all, i'm a newbie regarding scorpion keeping, please give me advice on what type of scorpion should i purchase/keep according to:

1. low maintainance
2. low humidity
3. non-venomous/low level of venom
5. can be kept on 5galons tank forever
6. fast growing

every suggestions are highly appreciated

tnx
S. mesa, there amazingly easy to care for/low humidity, only 2 on the venom scale which isnt anything to worry about, perfect size to live in a 5 gal, and grown on an average rate

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just your average emperor would be a good starter. they're hardy and mostly non-aggressive. it's usually good to start with something cheap and readily available just in case

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was going to suggest an emperor too but he wanted something with low humidity. The only other readily available scorp was Hadogenes paudensis. But I also recomend an emp. Very docile and creating a humid enviroment is very easy. I never spray my tank because of the false bottom set up. I even made it so that I can keep crix in there without them dying on me.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just your average emperor would be a good starter. they're hardy and mostly non-aggressive. it's usually good to start with something cheap and readily available just in case
except he wants low humidity and maintiance....not that emps are high maintance but there higher than alot of desert scorps and deserts have low humidity requirements

alot of desert species will fit into what your looking for

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hadogenes paucidens (although it is slow growing), Hadrurus arizonensis or H. spadix would fit, maybe some Vaejovids if you would like a colony.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
He he I spelled Hadogenes paucidens wrong. Twice. Stupid copy and paste. Stupid FFS ( fat finger syndrome). :D

noodle

Arachnopeon
except he wants low humidity and maintiance....not that emps are high maintance but there higher than alot of desert scorps and deserts have low humidity requirements

alot of desert species will fit into what your looking for
sir what specific desert scorps wil do?

Sir's thanks alot again for all suggestion it will be a great help,

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Noodle,
I own H. arizonensis and they are ravenous eaters. The one I have now is about ready to pop. I have her in a medium Critter Keeper with Reptisand and a half piece of small log. No water. Easy to keep. Try one out. They are also the largest species of scorp in the US. Mine is about 3 1/2 inches long. And, they are long-lived. Do watch out for their tendancy to dig. They will always rearrange the enclosure to the way THEY want it.

David

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The flat rock scorpion would be perfect for you... Is there actually a scorpion with no venom?

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Zman,

To my knowledge, every scorpion has venom. It just happens that there is more toxins in Windex than there is in Hadogenes sp. venom.

Mike

hadrurus 666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no scorpion is non venomous. If you want a low maintenance scorpion with low humidity requirements and a mild sting i would propose a hadrurus spp. Plus they are active and full of fun when you put a cricket or suitably sized animal in there. However they can be quite aggressive.

Dr Livingston

Arachnopeon
communal paucidens?

I have a large unsexed Hadogenes paucidens and I was wondering if I could set up a large communal tank for five or so

smartie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dr Livingstone - I am assuming that H. paucidens and H. troglodytes are more or less the same in the sense of aggression etc. In that case, i would not attempt a communal setup, believe me, i learned the hard way. I have easy access to many H.trogs, so i decided i would try to keep some together. Two days later i had only one very fat scorp left....

Noodle - I would strongly suggest H.troglodytes or any Hadogenes spp. They are very hardy and long lived (if you get a female. Luckily they are easy to sex), and doesnt require much maintenance or humidity. A dry setup with a waterdish has worked very well for me. They are also not particularly aggressive, and nearly venomless. When handling mine, i am much more worried about getting pinched than getting stung. They also reach nice large sizes

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NO DO NOT KEEP THEM TOGETHER. They will canabalize.