Newbie!!!

PoeticJaffaCake

Arachnopeon
Hi ladies and gents,

Wanted to say hello and introduce myself, I have been reading the board for a little while now.

Am the proud owner of a Chilean Rose and a Tiger Rump (dont ask me for the scientific names cos I haven't got the hang of those yet!)

Any way, I look forward to frequenting your forum :D

One quick question, I have the opportunity to pick up one of these:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=3473

for about £10, is that a good deal?

I'm glad to finally say hello to everyone :)

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi yourself and welcome to the boards!!!!!! The tarantula you mentioned L. cristata is one I don't have personal experience with. I do own two Lasidoras though, one L. parahybana (Brazilian pink salmon bird eater) and one Lasidora difficilis (Brazilian fire red) From what I have read about the cristata it is similar. They are classifed as semi aggressive, and get to be a larger spider. They are fast movers and excellent eaters.
I'm sure you will enjoy it.

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
from what i've heard they are simular temperment to L.parahybanna (salmon pink bird eater)

they would probly be a great addition for you, how big is it though?

PoeticJaffaCake

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'll have a look at picking it up in the next week or so.
At the moment im doing my fair share of fretting over the new Sling, it's really tiny >1cm and I only got it this morning.
The person I bought it off has told me it could be ready to molt soon so I'm resisting the urge to feed it a micro cricket or two. Its not very active at all, but I'm keeping the humidity so there is a little condensation and hoping for the best!
Another question, what is the survival rate for slings this small? I'm guessing there are quite a few breeders amongst you.
Any suggestions for its care are welcome of course.
I'll keep you all updated!

As for the size of the other spider I'm not sure, it's a new addition to an online list to a pet shop i use.

missy

Arachnopeon
with it being small you can pre kill the crickets, you give there heads a squeeze with some tweezers, that way you know that the cricket wont attack , if you were to feed it. thats what i do for my sling , but rumi is a smidge bigger, but not much.

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If your sling is hungry it will be happy to eat a pre-killed meal. I feed all of my smaller slings like this. Welcome and best of luck.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure L. crisata is now N. chromatus. That may be why you are not finding info on them.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi welcome to the mad house LOL:) :razz: {D most of us are harmless :? ;) :clap: :clap: and have fun with your ( t ) -- PHIL

PoeticJaffaCake

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys, it's great to be in a friendly place where you can get great advice and have a giggle!

Already had some great advice! :clap:

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There is always some loss with small slings, it is hard to say how much. Some people have problems with pinktoes, some with others. (Like me, for some reason I can't keep a redknee sling alive for anything) The bigger they get, the less likely you are to loose them.
Don't worry to much about it.