Newbie With Pics!

Averhoeven

Arachnopeon
Just got my first spider the today. Well, spiders... I couldn't decide between the Versicolor and the Flameleg so I got both. I got them because I like building small environments that have the live creature bit of flair to them. Both are 5.5g cages.

A Versi cage

The Versi was kinda hard to get a good photo of, but I tried...

Flameleg Cage

You can see it in that picture, but behind the big cactus on the left is a vertebral looking rock with a large hole bored through the center that I think will make a nice hide-hole

The Flameleg him(her?)self

I'm pretty happy with the cages for right now, looking forward to seeing what they do with their webs. Both spiders have already eaten in their new homes too!

The Versi tank is right next to my dart frog tank, hence the bright lights and why it was hard to get a pic of her:

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some friendly advice would be to get ride of the cacti and sand in the flame legs enclosure:). Sand can be bad for tarantulas supposedly. And a cactus may have potential to harm a tarantula. It probably won't do any damage but I wouldn't be suprised if it did. The enclosure looks great though, eco earth coconut fiber works great for substrate.:) Oh and some nice tarantulas you got!

Averhoeven

Arachnopeon
Not so worried about the cacti, the "spines" on them are extremely weak at best, I think it would be nigh impossible for them to impale the spider ;) Plus, the flameleg has already crawled over them plenty of times and it doesn't seem to bother her at all.

What's wrong with the sand though? The bag said it was for reptiles, scorpions and tarantulas so I figured it would be just fine and give a neat look.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
Not so worried about the cacti, the "spines" on them are extremely weak at best, I think it would be nigh impossible for them to impale the spider ;) Plus, the flameleg has already crawled over them plenty of times and it doesn't seem to bother her at all.

What's wrong with the sand though? The bag said it was for reptiles, scorpions and tarantulas so I figured it would be just fine and give a neat look.
i beleave the prob is is can get up in there book lungs and well suficate them and i will cake around the Ts mouth just switch over to coco fiber and youll be ok

Death999

Arachnopeon
???

i beleave the prob is is can get up in there book lungs and well suficate them and i will cake around the Ts mouth just switch over to coco fiber and youll be ok
so tarantulas that live in the desert only survive because they went to Petco and got some cocofiber for their home?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so tarantulas that live in the desert only survive because they went to Petco and got some cocofiber for their home?
Brachys dont leave in the dessert.

Anyway, no. thats not the reason. The reason is that coco fiber keeps the moisture,and will let her build a burrow if she wants to-more like in the wild.

Coco fiber is more similar to the natural surrowndings than sand is.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The "flameleg's" tank is set up really nice but I'm afraid it's the wrong set up for it. Sand and cacti? Nope nope....You need some dirt substrate like eco earth. Becareful with the rocks...If she tries to burrow under one it could collapse on her and squish her.

Atleast you got the Avic's right.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think that the big thread about G. rosea said that them living in the desert wasn't completly true. I think it said somthing like both, I don't know. But yeah theres a good chance that it wont hurt your tarantula, but it COULD. So whats the point in taking the risk. Whether its a risk or not the tarantula may like the coco fiber more for burrowing needs (like said before).

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Yeah loose the sand.

Among other things already mentioned, it apparantly holds moisture for very long periods of time (including moisture from your spiders poopies) which can get nasty in a hurry.
Loose the cactus too. Sure it's fine when she walks on it, but what if she climbs to the top (Your sub is too low; You'll want to have it about 1.5 DLS from the sub to the top) and falls on top of the cactus? I'd also wadger a fall onto sand will do more damage than a fall on some peat or coco coir. Why take the chance when you can fix it?
Besides, they don't live in the desert anyway. Don't always believe what the petstores/pet product bags will tell you.:eek:

But hey, you know, do what you want. It's hardy/adaptable enough to survive in that setup. It's just not the best. We're just trying to help/warn yah.
I love your dart frog tank by the way. Dart owners always make the best tanks.

Desert doesn't always mean sand everywhere.
Especially play/reptile/decorative sand.