Newbie with lots of questions about keeping millipedes

sorrybugs

Arachnopeon
So I’m quite new to this and plan on creating a vivarium to house max 6 millipedes, mostly Florida Ivory Millipedes and either Smokey Oaks or Rainbow Millipedes depending on humidity and temp needs
So I’m another newbie with lots of questions and I’ve already done a lot of research on keeping millipedes so I know a fair bit. I’m first concerned about plants in the vivarium. I have a lot of suitable propagations of pothos, arrowhead plants, a few bromeliad pups, lots of rubber plants and more that could easily live with them (and I wouldn’t mind if the millipedes devoured everything). Im worried that the “mother plants” have an unknown past for the most part and might have been sprayed or fertilized which would then transfer through the propagations. Anyone have issues with this?
Im also worried that a 20 gallon long tank filled with at least 6” of substrate would be too big. I would fill it with plants and rotting wood andother features like that. Can you ever have too big?

Last edited by a moderator:

Diplopodia

Arachnosquire
You need to make sure the plants have been established and rooted in the vivarium before you put the millipedes in or else they will uproot them. Although millipedes usually eat decaying organic matter they will eat living plants if given the chance. You might want to consider one that grows fast to keep up with the millipedes eating them.
You can't have too big but that much space and depth may mean never seeing your millipedes especially if you choose one like Thai Rainbow.
If you're looking for a surface active species the Ivory's would be a good choice. Smokey Oaks are cool, mine tend to be surface active at night but are quick to hide as the day starts. Smokey Oaks like it a little cooler than the rainbows and ivories.
The millipedes will most definitely breed, some vendors give the option to choose male or female. If you don't want to start your own colony contact the seller and ask for all the same sex if possible. If not you may have a few hundred babies once they mature.
The addition of springtails as a clean-up crew would be beneficial for the millipedes.
Sticks, leaves, driftwood, and cork bark are some other things to add. Millipedes really seem to love cork bark.
Establish a drainage layer to prevent the substrate from becoming water-logged and uninhabitable for the millies. They like it damp not wet.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

sorrybugs

Arachnopeon
You need to make sure the plants have been established and rooted in the vivarium before you put the millipedes in or else they will uproot them. Although millipedes usually eat decaying organic matter they will eat living plants if given the chance. You might want to consider one that grows fast to keep up with the millipedes eating them.
You can't have too big but that much space and depth may mean never seeing your millipedes especially if you choose one like Thai Rainbow.
If you're looking for a surface active species the Ivory's would be a good choice. Smokey Oaks are cool, mine tend to be surface active at night but are quick to hide as the day starts. Smokey Oaks like it a little cooler than the rainbows and ivories.
The millipedes will most definitely breed, some vendors give the option to choose male or female. If you don't want to start your own colony contact the seller and ask for all the same sex if possible. If not you may have a few hundred babies once they mature.
The addition of springtails as a clean-up crew would be beneficial for the millipedes.
Sticks, leaves, driftwood, and cork bark are some other things to add. Millipedes really seem to love cork bark.
Establish a drainage layer to prevent the substrate from becoming water-logged and uninhabitable for the millies. They like it damp not wet.
Hope this helps.
Hmmm okay noted on most likely won’t see the millipedes, maybe I’ll get a tank divider to make it a little smaller. Was planning on setting up the vivarium a few weeks before the millipedes. Would probably do mostly ivories that I’m not interested in breeding so it makes sense to ask for all females. Was going to add lots of rotting oak, dried oak leaves, my own compost, driftwood (all baked/boiled/microwaved etc) with springtails to keep fungi and possible fungus gnats at bay. What kind of drainage layer would you recommend?

Diplopodia

Arachnosquire
Hmmm okay noted on most likely won’t see the millipedes, maybe I’ll get a tank divider to make it a little smaller. Was planning on setting up the vivarium a few weeks before the millipedes. Would probably do mostly ivories that I’m not interested in breeding so it makes sense to ask for all females. Was going to add lots of rotting oak, dried oak leaves, my own compost, driftwood (all baked/boiled/microwaved etc) with springtails to keep fungi and possible fungus gnats at bay. What kind of drainage layer would you recommend?
Hyrdro balls (clay) and mesh. You can find them at most places that sell substrate for lizards and frogs.

Matt1987

Arachnopeon
Most millipedes seem to stay away from plants that are toxic. But safe plants for your terrarium would include Aloe Vera’s, Parlour Palms, Spider Plants, Fitonias. A large terrarium for millipedes is not an issue as they are not going to feel insecure like reptiles. They will be quite happy in a larger tank. Only thing I would say is that an unnecessarily large terrarium is going to be harder to heat. You may also have difficulty in finding your pedes!

I’ve a few terrariums and a number of different species from different continents but to give you an idea, I currently have a terrarium which is 45x45x45cm which has 10 pedes in it …4 of which are very large African species including Archispirostreptus Gigas and Spirostreptidae sp8 and Spiropoeus Fischeri …all in excess of 10” in length. Have several smaller species in this terrarium also and they are doing just fine. Just make sure the substrate is nice and deep. I’ve currently got it about 12” deep.

hamfist

Arachnosquire
Would you actually need a drainage layer since millipedes want very high humidity?
Its certainly not necessary, although some like using one. I have never used one.

Just keep an eye on your substrate's moisture contant and don't overwater. I always like to repeat the advice of ....... "always better to be slightly drier than too wet". Too wet can cause various health issues, particular in some of the large species of millipede.