Newbie with Cobalts comin thru!

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi there,

I know what the sites say, H. Lividum for advanced users etc.
Well, the shop here(only one) didnt label the spiders and when i bought them, found out they were Cobalts when i went home. Also learned of their nature.

Quite new to Taranz but i guess ive handled enought wild venomous animals so i thought id try this.

I know that the Cobalts are an advanced species, and my second foux pass was that these were wild-cought ones, but now the bottom line is that ive got a male and a female, and they seem ok.

Just wanting some personal feedback from those of you who are a little more familiar with this species.
eg. eating habits/molting/ etc

Oh yeah, im from Malaysia(H. Lividum found near here), so climate wise, i guess i dont have to worry TOO much....right ?

Feedback appreciated : )

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1052

The above thread would be a good place to start, Martin shows a very good method for housing these monsters. He also says they are not as violent when they have a nice deep burrow to run down.

Aside from the temperment, Do some looking around on the humidity requirements on these. Being a novice Tarantula keeper, I'm not sure of the exact requirements.

Good luck with your gorgeous psychotic monsters.

Bill.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have two H. lividum, and I've never seen them act psychotic. They're really nervous and run at the first sign of anything approaching their cages. I've given them 6 inches of substrate to burrow in and pieces of cork bark to hide under at the surface. Mine only come out late at night when my office is quiet.

Because of the deep substrate, I just mist mine any time the surface looks dry.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
here as well...but I'll amend that to 'I've never seen them...period' LOL
My adult female is under 8 + inches of substrate. I haven't seen her since she made her burrow. I am assuming she is still alive, since I don't smell anything rotten.

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Jobe
Quite new to Taranz but i guess ive handled enought wild venomous animals so i thought id try this
Do yourself a favor, *laughs*, don't handle this wild venomous animal. ;)

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm, good point AlbinoDragon829

Really new to taranz and nobody i know here has kept them before.

Would prolly take me awhile to handle even a harmless specie should i ever get one...im stickin to the old bowl-and-cd-cover method for now to transport them around.

Is a King Baboon any good for a newbie too? saw one in the shop earlier.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
My understanding is that the King baboon is right on par with thee H. lividum. In fact, I think, but don't quote me on this, that Immortal_Sin once used them in the same sentence about how often she doesen't see them.

Bill

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my experience, king baboons are much more aggressive than cobalt blues. They also get a lot bigger. I wouldn't call them a beginner species, but they're not impossible for a careful novice.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Blue cobalts are not that dangerous. Just give it some breathing room, meaning don't bother it too much, and it will be fine. Mine would go nuts whenever I come near her cage. Opening her cage to drop in crickets sometimes can be scary on my part.

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am trying to breed mine right now. They really aren't that bad as long as you take the right steps. I have a male and female and both aren't that bad to work with most of the time. Some times my male can be very aggressive. If I have to bother them I will take a mini kritter keeper and put it over them. Some times they sit there other times they will run up the keeper and attack my hand. The best thing I can suggest is follow the steps other have suggested for keeping them and if you have to due something in there cage just keep your mind on what your doing and don't get distracted, better safe than sorry. Good luck with them. :D ;) :)

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No I have the mini keeper in my hand to keep that from happening but he still attacks.:D ;) :)

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are just the smallest Kitter Keeper you can buy.

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Um, they arent sold here....anyone got a pic?

Doing research on setting up a spida trade/org over here if i can get enough people and if theres not much red tape. Also wanna try importing species from other countries too.

Already found a vermiculite dealer in singapore, now for more details on other supplies (specific housing tanks, food stocks etc)

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Look under the thread "pics for savian" both Holley's and mine a pictured there.