Newbie with a sling

mckeownk

Arachnopeon
I bought my curly haired tarantula from a pet store, and it was roughly the size of my pinky nail. She has now shed one time and is about the size of my thumb nail. She doesn't seem to want to eat. I've only witnessed her eat once in the 2.5 months I've had her. I don't have pinhead crickets at my disposal (the closest pet store is 3 hours away). I've ordered some off amazon but they take a few weeks to get here. She molted out of nowhere, and I'm afraid she's terribly hungry.

What should I try? She didn't touch the full size cricket I put in there (don't worry I popped the head off.) She also didn't seem to touch the small meal worm I gave her.

Advice?

cold blood

Staff member
Relax...its not at all necessary to have pinheads...I've never dealt with them...what you did was appropriate, just offer pre-killed prey. A half or third of a mealworm is enough. As is a cricket leg.

When did it molt?

DeanK

Arachnosquire
When did it molt? If in the last few days then it doesn't need food. If it's molted twice in your care then it's obviously eating enough. Relax and keep doing what you're doing. If you're feeding large prekilled crickets then it may look like it's not being eaten because of it's size compared to what the sling is eating

mckeownk

Arachnopeon
Relax...its not at all necessary to have pinheads...I've never dealt with them...what you did was appropriate, just offer pre-killed prey. A half or third of a mealworm is enough. As is a cricket leg.

When did it molt?
It molted almost 2 weeks ago. :( I fed it a headless, small, meal worm and I don't think she's touched it. I tried to feed her a headless cricket like 5 days after she molted and she didn't touch it.

She's only molted once since I got her. I feel like she should be bigger than she is at almost 5 months old... Thanks for your input guys!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
If you're worried take a photo of the sling and it's enclosure. Then post it here and maybe we can see something.

Good luck.

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
Keep offering pre-killed but don't leave it so long in there that mold sets in. Pin head crickets is smaller then what I would offer. I agree with above, post pics of T and enclosure so we can see. As for growth rate do not worry about the speed and size it has reached in that amount of time. Be more concerned with getting it to feed and drinking water regularly and that T will start growing a bit quicker. Also what temp is it being kept at?

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I feel like she should be bigger than she is at almost 5 months old... Thanks for your input guys!
Age doesn't matter at all with tarantulas. Two tarantulas of the same age could be two completely different sizes if kept differently.

Does your T have a water dish? Is she acting lethargic or is her abdomen really small? If she's acting okay and has access to water, then I'd say she'll be okay. I'd be worried with a sling not eating very often, as others have said, a pic of the tarantula and enclosure would help a lot.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Don't worry. If it's not hungry don't keep offering it food. Wait a week and offer again. Could it be in pre-molt again? When they are little guys the molt much more frequently.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I agree that a photo of the sling and enclosure is needed. If the abdomen is well rounded and roughly the same size as the carapace, you needn't worried. If the abdomen is shriveled and/or half the size of the carapace, that is cause for concern.

mckeownk

Arachnopeon
I put her on a piece of cotton to take pictures of her. She's about 1 inch in diameter when her legs are fully extended. I noticed a BIG black spot today. Maybe she hasn't been eating because she's in pre-molt again?!

mckeownk

Arachnopeon
If you're worried take a photo of the sling and it's enclosure. Then post it here and maybe we can see something.

Good luck.
I agree that a photo of the sling and enclosure is needed. If the abdomen is well rounded and roughly the same size as the carapace, you needn't worried. If the abdomen is shriveled and/or half the size of the carapace, that is cause for concern.
Here you go guys and dolls :) I put her on a bit of cotton.

I'm currently transitioning her to a bigger enclosure.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I put her on a piece of cotton to take pictures of her. She's about 1 inch in diameter when her legs are fully extended. I noticed a BIG black spot today. Maybe she hasn't been eating because she's in pre-molt again?!
She looks nice a plump and yeah the dark spot is premolt. I wouldn't worry about her not eating.

Good luck.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She looks nice and full, and possibly in premolt :)

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The dark rump is a good sign. It means she gonna grow soon and your doing things right. Well done!! Just make sure the enclosure has a little bit of moisture for humidity to make the molting easier.