Newbie with a DLS question....

doodledog

Arachnopeon
Hi there everyone, my name is Jennifer and I'm looking to get my 1st T soon...getting a B. Albo (female). Forgive me if this question has been asked here b4, I tried searching, but was not able to find anything related. I would prefer not to start with a sling. What would you guys and gals recommend getting T size wise for my newbie-ness??....lol. I was thinking about a 2.5" DLS female B. Albo....Or should I get a larger female to start???

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
For most species anything over 1.5-2" DLS is out of the fragile stage, so 2.5" molt confirmed female is a good choice.

Leila

Arachnobaron
Great choice on the B. albo! :) They are little darlings

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
B.albopilosum definitely one of the best beginner tarantula but still be careful if you were to handle..each tarantula is unpredictable and individuals vary, just because they are docile nature species it doesn't mean each individual will be docile. I can help you much as I can on this! I own 10 b.albopilosum

doodledog

Arachnopeon
B.albopilosum definitely one of the best beginner tarantula but still be careful if you were to handle..each tarantula is unpredictable and individuals vary, just because they are docile nature species it doesn't mean each individual will be docile. I can help you much as I can on this! I own 10 b.albopilosum
Understood 100%....they each have their own "little personality"...i get it. you're gonna wish you didn't offer your help on this one...lol, because I will turn into the question queen! hahaha

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Try to get one of the Nicaraguan forms. Those are true B. albopilosums. The ones commonly found in the hobby are a different color and shape due to being mistakenly crossbred or inbred over the years. A comparison can be found here

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Try to get one of the Nicaraguan forms. Those are true B. albopilosums. The ones commonly found in the hobby are a different color and shape due to being mistakenly crossbred or inbred over the years. The one on the right, with the white hairs, is the Nicaraguan one.
Just an FYI in case you hadn't read it, on AB you can only post pics you own/take/created. Using Google images or another members pics is against the rules. You can however post them with the owners permission or use a link to the thread where they reside.

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi there everyone, my name is Jennifer and I'm looking to get my 1st T soon...getting a B. Albo (female). Forgive me if this question has been asked here b4, I tried searching, but was not able to find anything related. I would prefer not to start with a sling. What would you guys and gals recommend getting T size wise for my newbie-ness??....lol. I was thinking about a 2.5" DLS female B. Albo....Or should I get a larger female to start???
2.5" is good for any T.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
2.5" is good for any T.
@doodledog What species or locality of T would you NOT recommend for someone at 2.5" , and advise them they should wait until it's larger? Please provide some information you may have, simply disagreeing doesn't help the OP out.

doodledog

Arachnopeon
Try to get one of the Nicaraguan forms. Those are true B. albopilosums. The ones commonly found in the hobby are a different color and shape due to being mistakenly crossbred or inbred over the years. A comparison can be found here
I am having trouble locating the Nicaraguan B. Albo....personally I would prefer that one based on the fact I prefer the look better (more hair). I live in the Cleveland, Ohio area and am struggling to find any one locally (the local reptile show isn't till April 30th, and I don't think I can stand to wait that long!...lol)...I have also been searching online quite a bit, but have also had a difficult time....any suggestions??

doodledog

Arachnopeon
@doodledog What species or locality of T would you NOT recommend for someone at 2.5" , and advise them they should wait until it's larger? Please provide some information you may have, simply disagreeing doesn't help the OP out.
Am confused Viper69??? Was this meant for me directly? I haven't advised anything...I would just prefer a larger specimen ATM....just a newbie here, and need to get more experience before raising little guys.... :)