newbie sling questions (g. rosea + b. vagans, specifically)

sori-tan

Arachnopeon
I'm thinking of getting 2 slings, for myself. a B. vagans and a G. rosea. It's still up in the air, I'm not so sure, it sort of depends.

Can they go 10-15 days without food (in case I leave town and can't find someone who isn't arachnophobic?) Part of me suspects that they *can* go without food for that long...mostly because I've seen a few rather general sling-care threads here, mostly about how you make sure they have water (about once a week, a little on the side)... and the feeding frequency itself varies.

It kind of sounds like they may require the same general care as any given T, just that we're 'powerfeeding' to make them grow/molt faster. Or am I reading it wrong?

I've been doing all sorts of searches on here, for useful threads. I've even done a search for just 'sling', and have read up as much as I'm able in the time I've been here. Does anyone have any really good websites or threads that would be helpful to me where it comes to these two specific slings?

I'm not settled on these two slings, or any given plan, yet. It just happens to be my current focus for 'study'.

Thanks again.

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They should be fine. I'd just feed them the night before you leave to make sure they do eat and aren't in pre-molt. Remove the food if it's in there the morning you leave.

~Fred

sori-tan

Arachnopeon
They should be fine. I'd just feed them the night before you leave to make sure they do eat and aren't in pre-molt. Remove the food if it's in there the morning you leave.

~Fred
Well, that certianly is good to know. *nods* It's one of the reasons why I hesitated reseraching slings.... it's my natural tendancy to assume that extremely delicate.

Was I right when I deduced that we're actually powerfeeding to make them grow faster? (so there is no accidental mooshing, less time in a microenvironment, all that) I do get that impression, from the threads I've read, but I am not sure.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i feed my slings once a week with one prey item of appropriate size or two smaller ones. feeding more than twice a week is what i would consider powerfeeding.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Be sure to leave water droplets on the sides of the vials before you go out of town. Going that long without food isn't a problem, but going that long without water might be.

Josh33Baboons

Arachnopeon
I'm thinking of getting 2 slings, for myself. a B. vagans and a G. rosea. It's still up in the air, I'm not so sure, it sort of depends.

Can they go 10-15 days without food (in case I leave town and can't find someone who isn't arachnophobic?) Part of me suspects that they *can* go without food for that long...mostly because I've seen a few rather general sling-care threads here, mostly about how you make sure they have water (about once a week, a little on the side)... and the feeding frequency itself varies.

It kind of sounds like they may require the same general care as any given T, just that we're 'powerfeeding' to make them grow/molt faster. Or am I reading it wrong?

I've been doing all sorts of searches on here, for useful threads. I've even done a search for just 'sling', and have read up as much as I'm able in the time I've been here. Does anyone have any really good websites or threads that would be helpful to me where it comes to these two specific slings?

I'm not settled on these two slings, or any given plan, yet. It just happens to be my current focus for 'study'.

Thanks again.
My G Porteri goes months without eating sometimes but shes not a sling either. But it is quite normal behavior for them. I dont think 10 or 15 days wouldnt be a problem as long as theres some source of was as mentioned before