Newbie reminder

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
If you have tarantula questions, please click on the "Search" button above and enter the subject of your question.

Chances are, your question has not only been answered, but a whole entire discussion of the subject is posted here somewhere.

Trust me, we've discussed EVERYTHING on Arachnoboards!{D ;)

Shadow Tongue

Arachnopeon
I think this should be a sticky
I guess you would recommend making my thread a sticky if I made one explaining that users shouldn't try to ride their Ts?

Point being, if they're too stupid to use obvious forum functions they probably won't even heed this advice.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you have tarantula questions, please click on the "Search" button above and enter the subject of your question.

Chances are, your question has not only been answered, but a whole entire discussion of the subject is posted here somewhere.

thank you for saying this! sorry to the n00bs as we were all n00bs once, but there are so many topics that are similar to yours. search for them.

rattler420

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
while i agree the search function is over looked too often, it seems to me there wouldnt be a whole lot of action on this forums with out many of the "noob" questions.

mwh9

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
while i agree the search function is over looked too often, it seems to me there wouldnt be a whole lot of action on this forums with out many of the "noob" questions.
Best answer, If you know everything about everything, maybe you should find something else to do.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Best answer, If you know everything about everything, maybe you should find something else to do.
Many experienced posters are actually reluctant to post in these forums because there is not a post on this page that has not been discussed in this forum already.

Let's go through the math of arachnoboards. There are 36,615 threads with 406,906 replies as of 10:01 AM central time. Answering the same question over and over again is tiring and frusterating for some.

These numbers are only applicable to the tarantula forums. I didn't bother to add up the numbers from the rest of the forums.

I think it's safe to say there are well over one million pages on invertebrate care stored within the search function.

Seriously. Most questions have already been answered.

rikimaku666

Arachnopeon
I totally agree... if all subjects have been covered why not shut the forum from active posting and use it as a referance library?? no, thought not!!!

The point is that its fun and educational for "noobs" to post because human interaction beats searching through stacks of old info every time (or is that just me?)

I can see where your coming from but i find people are too harsh these days!

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I totally agree... if all subjects have been covered why not shut the forum from active posting and use it as a referance library?? no, thought not!!!

The point is that its fun and educational for "noobs" to post because human interaction beats searching through stacks of old info every time (or is that just me?)

I can see where your coming from but i find people are too harsh these days!
i agree as its good to see and find out how others dealt with the " problem " so i say ask away :) ---- PHIL

forhorsmn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Really

:mad: Well for all of us that are new to the hobby, let me just say how sorry we are for waisting your time. I thought this would be a great place to get some information from people with experience. I guess some of you have better things to do. Sorry for the hassle.:mad:

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are some things that are likely to have been discussed, but it's difficult to impossible to come up with search terms for. To get an answer someone might have to look through hundreds of threads.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That people consider the internet "human interaction" boggles the mind. And, sometimes, old info is the best info.

I thought this would be a great place to get some information from people with experience.
Who do you think wrote the thousands of posts archived on the site? Many were written by people with experience.

Pretty much everyone here enjoys helping other people. By pointing out the search function they're helping you to learn more about tarantulas and come up with more specific questions.

Is it just me or does anyone else think some people are just too used to having everything handed to them?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:mad: Well for all of us that are new to the hobby, let me just say how sorry we are for waisting your time. I thought this would be a great place to get some information from people with experience. I guess some of you have better things to do. Sorry for the hassle.:mad:

It's not that experienced people don't like helping the 'newbs' out but with over one million pages on invertebrate care stored on this site, it's a fair bet that your question has been answered.

There is one reason and one reason alone why I don't ask any questions anymore. This is because I've discovered the search function and now use it daily.

Seriously...three months of straight reading and you'll be an expert in no time.

Care? Breeding? Sexing? New spider acting funny/not eating/not webbing/webbing too much/in a death curl/stuck in a moult/lost their fangs in a moult?

It's all been covered before.

Asking someone to find the answers themself is not rude. The OP simply reminded people that there is another way to answer your question rather than posting four seperate threads on the same subject for the same spider.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I see both sides, but I say ask away. So what if there is a repeat question. It’s a questioned presented from that person’s point of view. And being an online community that interacts online a lot, what good would it do to say” look it all up before you ask your question?” That kind of defeats the reasons behind having a Discussion forum. Conversation threads would almost stop if we followed that thinking.
Here is an idea, if you don’t want to answer the question in the thread (a repeat question for example), then don’t answer. But then don’t get mad when someone posts an answer you think is wrong because you were not willing to spend a few minutes giving an answer when the question was first asked. You did not want to answer from the start so why would you then come in and correct someone?

So you are essentially saying "stop talking, we have covered it all" "the board is now closed" Right?

That’s my rant I am done now. ;P

Last edited:

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with Talkenlate04. If I know the answer and I already typed it a hundered times. I'm more than happy to help and type it again. I could care less if the noobs searched before they post. It's easier for me to just go to a thread which I have already answered and copy and paste it again. Ask away people. That's what a forum is about. :)

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Even having just said that I can admit there have been a few times where Ill see a post and just pass it over cause I don't the energy to pound out an answer, but if I see it go un answered for a while Ill answer anyway. I personally learn better when I can talk through a problem. Even if I have the answer in black and white in front of my face, for me talking through it just works better.

Cthulhu1254

Arachnopeon
I guess you would recommend making my thread a sticky if I made one explaining that users shouldn't try to ride their Ts?
I don't know, it might be a pretty good idea if it's big enough.

Granted, a newb likely wouldn't have a T quite that big.

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also see both sides. To the old timers, aspire to teach. I also use the search button, and such an avenue of research can be difficult and time consuming, as one must wade through many, many posts that don't hold the answer sought. Some of the comments here were downright clique oriented, which leaves a bad taste. Don't throw your Arachnoboards time around. Some people may not have the time to spend searching threads and it's much easier and faster to refer to a single, new thread. To new comers, ask away. Don't be put off by those who regard themselves as better (ie, more learned), than yourselves. We all start somewhere and this "club" isn't just for an arrogant few. That's my two cents. Beat me up, Scottie.

Laceface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can see how responding to the same few things over and over again can get frustrating, but I can see the other side. Starting a thread asking about starter species and such gets yourself known on the forum, its like an icebreaker from being a lurker. Not only that, If you dont know what youre doing, or what exactly youre looking for, a new thread works a whole lot better, then searching aimlessly.