Newbie questions

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
I was curious as to what species are good for a beginner, as well as some resources(pictures, info, care sheet, etc) to look at. I'm not in love witht he emperor scorp, but I here it is a good beginner. Just exploring my options here and seeing what's what.

thanks,
~Q~

Ps- I did find this link http://eycb.pagesperso-orange.fr/scorpions/Fiches2.htm but seems all those are for non-beginners

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was curious as to what species are good for a beginner, as well as some resources(pictures, info, care sheet, etc) to look at. I'm not in love witht he emperor scorp, but I here it is a good beginner. Just exploring my options here and seeing what's what.

thanks,
~Q~

Ps- I did find this link http://eycb.pagesperso-orange.fr/scorpions/Fiches2.htm but seems all those are for non-beginners
You can try Hadrurus arizonensis. Simply google it and you will be provided with loads of info to read upon.

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Hadrurus arizonensis is an awesome scorpion for beginner or expert. I have two, I like that they are "safe" desert species. Aggressive hunters in comparison to emperors.

Most "starter" scorpions in pet stores need humid environments.
I find Hadrurus arizonensis is much lower maintenace than "emperors" or "Asian forests".

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
Thanks, I'll look into that. I was thinking desert scorpion. Are they good to have in a pair? I would hate for the lil guy to be lonely in the cage.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Thanks, I'll look into that. I was thinking desert scorpion. Are they good to have in a pair? I would hate for the lil guy to be lonely in the cage.
No, sorry, but Hadrurus arizonensis is not communal. Good luck with your choice!:)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Imo it's usually only cost and how venomous a scorpion is that people go by to say whether a scorpion is a beginner scorpion or not. To me a Parabuthus is just as easy to take care of as a P. imperator, you just have to be much more careful with venomous scorpions. So skill level I think has a lot to do with your responsibility. Not so much to do with caring for the scorpion, but caring for your safety and not letting it get out. Since emps are so inexpensive they are easy to replace, little loss and you can see how you like having a scorpion. I think emps are interesting enough, it's just that they are so available people say, "Ahhh, been there, done that..", I have a bunch of them and several other sps, depends on what you're interested in. I will prob have some emps no matter what other scorps I have because regardless of the low cost and high supply, I still see a big impressive scorpion there. If you want a nice medium size, safe scorpion, Diplocentrus whitei is a good one imo. Not real common on the market but I just saw some for sale today for $20. I may get babies this year but I can't know for sure.