newbie questions about lighting

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Hi. I've been reading the posts here for a couple weeks (great site) and have been to all the web sites and read everything I could find to properly prepare for getting a T. I haven't seen much about lighting. I know not to keep it in direct sunlight (like on a widowsill), but is there such thing as recommended light? I know there are certain lizards that require a certain number of hours of daylight. What about T's? I haven't seen any housing setups with lights, but do you strategically place their housing away from bright lights or does it matter at all? I want to get a T (so does my 8 year old daughter), but would rather setup the housing correctly first than just go buy one and bring it home without any place to put it. Also, does anyone know of any places in Jacksonville, FL to get T's. I know I can order them, but for my first one (adult/sub-adult), I'd like to go check it out in person. Thanks.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
welcome to the boards!
lighting is not really an issue for tarantulas. In fact, heat lamps can dessicate an invert quickly, and are not recommended.
I have a display terrarium in the living room, underneath a table lamp. The light shines on it indirectly, but no sunlight shines where he is sitting.
I don't use any lighting in my T room, just a flashlight if it's too dark to see properly!

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Same

Hi

I do the same, letting day/night ( I think this make the T also more none-stressed IMHO) cycle be as natural as possible without turning light on when it gets dark and allways using flashlight if it's to dark.
They seem to get used to the flashlight after awhile and don't bother so much really.

Kenny

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yep. Unlike reptiles, Ts don't gain any benefits from lighting and as Holley pointed out can easily be harmed. Unless you're using a particular specimen for an actual display animal, skip the lighting. In the wild, most Ts live in burrows 24/7, or hides by day and forage by night, or under the forest canopy - just no sunning Ts out there :)

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
some of my t's have a cheap shop fluorescent light fixture with the cheapest shop fluorescent light bulbs shining on them for a 12/12 photoperiod and some of them have no lighting other than the ambient herp/invert room light. IMHO I think a photoperiod is more important than the light level.
Ed

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In my T room the window is completely covered so no light comes in at all. The only time the T's have light is when someone is in the room. About 2-5 hrs a day. It seems to work fine..

Ernie

Oh, Welcome aboard friend..:)

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yeah, like everyone else said, no extra light is needed, and do not put them in direct sunlight.

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Thanks everyone for the info. This is a pretty helpful place and everyone seems focused on putting out good info rather than flaming each other or the newbies.