Newbie questions about feeding

DreadKnoT

Arachnopeon
Greetings - welcome to the hobby! I'm new too actually. In my experience so far, there will at least two sides to every answer you're going to get so it seems like it's up to most of us just to make the executive decision on what works for us...so helpful/kinda not helpful lol I've been listening to what others are doing and then testing out various methods to come up with a way that works for me.

1. My maintenance days are Wed and Sun. This is feeding for slings, cleaning bolus for everyone and topping off water dishes if needed. I do it at whatever time is best for me - this is usually in the evenings b/c in the morning I'm getting ready for work or whatever. But, on some Sundays if I'm going to have a busy day I do it in the AM and it's fine!

2. I mostly apply this to pre-killed prey because you don't want to have it festering in their enclosure. I fed my T. albo a few small crickets once and thought he got them all - well, then I saw one just hopping around one day! It's so small though that he'll be fine. I'm feeding more frequent, smaller meals so I can get more practice. (4 crickets/wk vs. 1 dubia) If it's pre-killed though and they don't eat it, do take it out in 24 hrs.

3. Are you using tongs?

waynerowley

Arachnosquire
Thanks for this. Yes, I do use tongs, but they are quite large and this is a juvenile enclosure, so I can't get them into all of the small spaces around and behind the cork bark.

Anyhow, Gavin the cricket got a bit to cocky so I was able to remove him. He was in there 4 days though, and the T never took interest or left it's web hide. Conclusion, T doesn't want food right now.

I will wait a 3-4 days and see what it does before trying again. It's slightly concerning as it hasn't fed since I bought it, over a week ago. It may be approaching a moult though, and it's abdomen is a good size, so I won't worry too much right now.

Wayne