Newbie question

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Hello, I just picked up a RoseT spiderling about 3 weeks ago. Ive had it in the deli container i bought it in this whole time as its about 1 inch and gives it a fair of room. Today I recently changed the dirt in it, I literally went to my backyard dug up some moist dirt (don't know if this is good to use) and replaced the old one. My spider was a bit hesitant at first as i assume it was still checking the new place out..But now Ive noticed it has spun a web almost all over the ground..this being about 20 minutes after...Now does this mean he or she is accepting this as her new home?, I just want to know cause I definitely dont want to stress it out...Also Im going shopping tomorrow to get her a bigger place, not too big but fair enough....Any ideas on what i should use for the grounding?

BTW she eats just fine. =) Thanks in advance

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello, I just picked up a RoseT spiderling about 3 weeks ago. Ive had it in the deli container i bought it in this whole time as its about 1 inch and gives it a fair of room. Today I recently changed the dirt in it, I literally went to my backyard dug up some moist dirt (don't know if this is good to use) and replaced the old one. My spider was a bit hesitant at first as i assume it was still checking the new place out..But now Ive noticed it has spun a web almost all over the ground..this being about 20 minutes after...Now does this mean he or she is accepting this as her new home?, I just want to know cause I definitely dont want to stress it out...Also Im going shopping tomorrow to get her a bigger place, not too big but fair enough....Any ideas on what i should use for the grounding?

BTW she eats just fine. =) Thanks in advance
First of all welcome to the boards.

Dare i ask if you're trolling?

A little reading and the search function would do you well. First thing go to the pet store and buy shredded coconut husk, called eco earth at most stores. And buy a 15$ container from the pet store to put it in

The reason it is laying web is because it doesn't like the substrate

Read this thread.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=5292

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Not at all...and Yeah I did read that I was just kinda wondering what everyone else was using. Thanks I appreciate the advice, Im gonna go do that tomorrow..Its funny cause it was walking around a bit confused like, "WTH is this"?...This explains the webbing..Im gonna change it as soon as I get the stuff tomorrow.Thanks again

Arachnos482

Arachnosquire
The other problem with using soil from your yard is that it could be contaminated with pesticides that your not even aware of, and your t is not resistant to pesticides.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First of all welcome to the boards.

Dare i ask if you're trolling?

A little reading and the search function would do you well. First thing go to the pet store and buy shredded coconut husk, called eco earth at most stores. And buy a 15$ container from the pet store to put it in

The reason it is laying web is because it doesn't like the substrate

Read this thread.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=5292
Dare I ask if YOU are trolling?! The OP has a 1" G. rosea.. (I am guessing its a G. rosea..) Why the heck does he/she need to get a $15 container?
I have spent $2 on a container that is perfect for my 1" G. rosea slings.. :rolleyes:

Tarantulas also lay webbing down for many other reasons.. Not just because "it doesnt like the substrate"...

Not at all...and Yeah I did read that I was just kinda wondering what everyone else was using. Thanks I appreciate the advice, Im gonna go do that tomorrow..Its funny cause it was walking around a bit confused like, "WTH is this"?...This explains the webbing..Im gonna change it as soon as I get the stuff tomorrow.Thanks again
Tarantulas web for many reasons.. It was confused.. You took the old substrate away from it.. It knew that substrate.. You put new substrate in with it.. To the spider.. Its in a new area.. It is laying webbing down so it can establish a new home, or a trail to follow... There can be many other reasons the T is laying webbing on the ground..
The other problem with using soil from your yard is that it could be contaminated with pesticides that your not even aware of, and your t is not resistant to pesticides.
+1 to this..

Never use anything from outside unless you have baked or boiled it.. That way it is clean from any chemicals & many other unwanted pests...
Never feed it anything W/C for the same reasons..

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well no obviously not trolling. And I asked because lurking for a bit and reading the stickies talk about this stuff would answer alot of questions. And I didn't go into detail last night as i saw this right before I hit the hay.

As for the webbing comment I can only quote what I read specifically about the G. Rosea and what I was told in regard to damp soil and webbing (re: dug it up in the back yard). The 15$ container, just saying what it goes for the smallest one at my LPS with a locking lid.

Cool your jets man.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well no obviously not trolling. And I asked because lurking for a bit and reading the stickies talk about this stuff.

As for the webbing comment I can only quote what I read specifically about the G. Rosea and what I was told in regard to damp soil and webbing (re: dug it up in the back yard). The 15$ container, just saying what it goes for the smallest one at my LPS with a locking lid.

Cool your jets man.
My jets are cool..

No one needs to spend $15 on an enclosure for a 1 inch G. rosea..

That is a 10 gallon at my LPS..

Go to Wal-Mart... Spend a couple dollars.. Get a nice container for cheap..

rbailey1010

Arachnopeon
Do what Rob C does and go to the container store and buy a plastic shoebox that is extremely clear....I think they are $1.87 and make real good homes that they can grow into as well. Check out his youtube vidoes to get a better idea

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My jets are cool..

No one needs to spend $15 on an enclosure for a 1 inch G. rosea..

That is a 10 gallon at my LPS..

Go to Wal-Mart... Spend a couple dollars.. Get a nice container for cheap..
What is your LPS website, I'll take 5 with shipping it's going to be cheaper than mine. Its at least 50$ for a 5 gallon everywhere in town here. (not kidding)

PS: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752730&lmdn=Reptile

The above link is very similar to what is available at my LPS but slightly different and the ones i get are a different brand name; the cheapest is 10-15$ I think last time I picked one up.

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What is your LPS website, I'll take 5 with shipping it's going to be cheaper than mine. Its at least 50$ for a 5 gallon everywhere in town here. (not kidding)

PS: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752730&lmdn=Reptile

The above link is very similar to what is available at my LPS but slightly different and the ones i get are a different brand name; the cheapest is 10-15$ I think last time I picked one up.
My LPS do not sell 5 gallons.. None of them.. I can order them online.. But they do not keep them stocked...

Actually.. My PetSmart carries 5 gallons.. But IIRC they are a Leapord Gecko startup kit for $50...

I can go to Wal-Mart or any LPS & spend less Than $15 for a 10 gallon..

PetSmart is the only place that carries 2.5 gallon.. But heck.. I am spending $10 on that as well.. :rolleyes:

But the point of the matter..... A 1 (one) inch G. rosea does NOT need a .5, 1, 2.5, 5, or a 10 gallon enclosure..

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
My 1" G. rosea RCF are in little glass bowls with plastic lids. I got the T's from a great local guy and that's what they were in when my husband picked them up. He asked where the containers were purchased and was told Bed Bath and Beyond, but I can't find them there now. I would love to get more of these! But I agree with Tommy... $15 for a 1" G. rosea enclosure.. totally not necessary.

These work great too and you can get a 24 piece set of different sizes at BB&B for $4.99

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think it was a horrible idea to grab substrate from your back yard , but oh well . I would change it ASAP . But as for the container conversation , I got 7 small containers from Michael's 75 cents a piece :eek: Welcome to the boards though :)