Newbie question regarding hides.

Gods Spartan

Arachnopeon
What would you recommend for substrate. Think I found out that KCUPS don't make good hides. Been using Coco fiber and vermiculite as all my guys like it on the dry side, but it is very soft. Thought about anchoring the hide to the wall with hot glue. That way, even if they move all the substrate from underneath the hide would be floating.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What would you recommend for substrate. Think I found out that KCUPS don't make good hides. Been using Coco fiber and vermiculite as all my guys like it on the dry side, but it is very soft. Thought about anchoring the hide to the wall with hot glue. That way, even if they move all the substrate from underneath the hide would be floating.
Can't recommend a substrate w/out knowing species and size of T. Also, I've never ever had the need to permanently glue down a hide of any sort for any T.

Generally for slings I let them make their own burrow and/or provide cork slabs.

symbol

Arachnopeon
I try to stick with lightweight materials for hides for this reason.
Small plastic flower pots, cut in half can work well. Or even a leaf (or leaf fragment) placed over a starter burrow.
Other ideas that I've seen for slings here on the boards include: pop/water bottle lids with an entrance carved out, drinking straw fragments, and sphagnum moss.
For larger spiders "cocohuts" (half shell with an entrance cut out), larger plastic or terracotta flower pot halves/fragments, or cork rounds work well.
Avoid very heavy dense things like rock, concrete, dense hardwoods, etc.

For substrates, plain topsoil actually works pretty well for many species, but as noted, knowing the species would help with making specific recommendations.

Gods Spartan

Arachnopeon
Spec. Red
Two Brachys
S. Raja (leaning towards moisture)
G. Pulchripies
A. Versi.

Made my own mix with top soil, pear moss, and vermiculite and I haven't used it yet.

What consists of a starter burrow? Just a premade hole?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Spec. Red
Two Brachys
S. Raja (leaning towards moisture)
G. Pulchripies
A. Versi.

Made my own mix with top soil, pear moss, and vermiculite and I haven't used it yet.

What consists of a starter burrow? Just a premade hole?
I use cocofiber, others use topsoil, others use mixes.

cold blood

Staff member
If all your ts like it dry, then vermiculite is a useless additive as its used to hold moisture.

I've also never anchored any hide...and I have never worried about the weight of the hide I use....ts burrow under stuff, its what they do, its not something I'm going to be too concerned with.

I use cocofiber, others use topsoil, others use mixes.
Yeah so many people use so many different things and no one is really wrong. But certain things work better in certain situations...I like topsoil best for everything, followed by peat and coco fiber and jungle mix.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah so many people use so many different things and no one is really wrong. But certain things work better in certain situations...I like topsoil best for everything, followed by peat and coco fiber and jungle mix.
Silly putty and beach glass work wonders for burrowing tarantulas.

Seriously though, just experiment to see what works best for you. Personally, I use 50-50 topsoil and peat moss mix. Peat moss keeps the mold away while holding moisture, topsoil is better for burrowing.

Gods Spartan

Arachnopeon
Hey, thanks so much guys for alleviating some fears. I have never given it thought, but my wife had concerns and it got to me too.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If all your ts like it dry, then vermiculite is a useless additive as its used to hold moisture.

I've also never anchored any hide...and I have never worried about the weight of the hide I use....ts burrow under stuff, its what they do, its not something I'm going to be too concerned with.

There is no top soil in my area. Home Depot is a NO, Lowe's is a NO. I'm not crazy about cocofiber because of its loose nature. I have mixed it with moss for my E. sp Yellow, works well, gives it some structure.

cold blood

Staff member
There is no top soil in my area. Home Depot is a NO, Lowe's is a NO. I'm not crazy about cocofiber because of its loose nature. I have mixed it with moss for my E. sp Yellow, works well, gives it some structure.
Just go somewhere natural and dig it up. The best price...free ninety free

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
There are always farm centers or feed stores. It's where I get topsoil and it is pretty clean.plus I can plant in it

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are always farm centers or feed stores. It's where I get topsoil and it is pretty clean.plus I can plant in it
Thanks, I often forget those. I did check one feed store, but they seem to cater to animals, no soil. However they may know of someone who has topsoil for cheap. There are some livestock farms in the area hence the feed places. I'll check w/them provided I don't get topsoil that is plowed under with manure :wideyed:

mistertim

Arachnobaron
12.5% coco fiber
18.1% vermiculite
20.7% peat
21.6% topsoil
19.2% sphagnum
7.6% lion hair
.3% unicorn tears

Anything else and your tarantula will be dead within 4 hours.