Newbie question on handling feeders

tyrael113

Arachnopeon
Hello. Just getting started in the hobby with my first two slings (t. vagas and g. pulchripes), both about 1cm or so.

Since I only have two tiny slings they won't eat much. The seller I got the slings from gave me some free b. lateralis nymphs (maybe about 30 or so?) in a small deli cup. I potentially have weeks worth of feeders based on recommended feeding schedule but don't know how I should handle them. Can I just keep it as is and take some out as needed? How long would they last in that condition?

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
As long as they have some harborage, ventilation, food and water they'll be fine. Keep them warm. They'll last until you feed them all off. 🙂
You can give them a little bit of dog, cat or fish food and a small piece of carrot to fulfill their dietary needs.
What size is the deli cup? Is it ventilated? As crazy as it sound, do you have a picture?

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
depending on how many are in there, it should be fine as long as you give them everything dom mentioned.

You can give them water by always keeping a clean fresh veggie in there. Just easier to keep clean than a water dish imo.
Change the veggie out before it goes bad - I keep a Tupperware with cut-up veggies in the fridge and just switch it up every day.
but if you use root-type vegetables they'll last a little longer.

I have one single orange head roach that was left after a feeding and I'm kind of fond of him.
He immediately goes for whatever fresh food I put in, like a fatty.
I just can't bring myself to feed him off :depressed:

tyrael113

Arachnopeon
Thanks your responses are encouraging. Feeders are the part of the hobby that gives me most anxiety at the moment but maybe it isn't so difficult after all. :)

The deli cup is about 0.5in deep,1.5in in diameter, and not particularly ventilated. Based on your comments I figure I will just transfer to a ventilated container, add some food/water and then just transfer again when I feel the wastes are accumulating too much.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Thanks your responses are encouraging. Feeders are the part of the hobby that gives me most anxiety at the moment but maybe it isn't so difficult after all. :)

The deli cup is about 0.5in deep,1.5in in diameter, and not particularly ventilated. Based on your comments I figure I will just transfer to a ventilated container, add some food/water and then just transfer again when I feel the wastes are accumulating too much.
Even the little nymphs can't climb smooth surfaces. You could put them in almost anything. Give them a small piece of eggcrate or those beverage holders made from recycled paper and your good to go. For non climbers, I keep small colonies and nymphs in stuff like this.
16106082712001411015248696866727.jpg
For the amount that you have you could use a larger deli cup or one of those containers you get soup in from a chinese place.
Hope this is helpful.

tyrael113

Arachnopeon
Couple of weeks later and still have a few roaches left over, but they've grown a lot! LOL. I think may be too big for my slings now. Do you think I can just feed half? Or should I go out and find appropriate sized feeders?