Newbie question about T's

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Wade

If we have females, we're always looking for males. If we have males, we're looking for somewhere to send them. Since many of these transactions don't involve money, they can't really be described as "sales". End result: the serious T hobbyist has to be alot more social than the herper. Subsequently, we tend to be (as a group) alot more friendly to the ousiders. After all, they might someday be the ones sending us that much needed rare male tarantula!

Wade
Hi Wade,
That was very well put :) I'd agree with you 100% and I think you hit the nail on the head with that explanation. This is part of the beauty of keeping tarantulas as opposed to herps. As a keeper/breeder gets deeper into the hobby, they will undoubtedly find themselves chasing down the rarer species, which consequently, only other experienced keepers will possess members of the opposite sex. This works all the way down the line to, to the beginning breeder, who may try with something like B.vagans. Thankfully, these beginners will be able to exchange with nearly any member of the keeping community, including those far more experienced then themselves. An experienced breeder soon learns that in order to obtain those rare spiders that they seek for breeding, they must maintain a forethcoming, easily approachable attitude. It's the "good natured hobby", we're lucky folk.

Cheers,
Steve

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
Hey Baphomet,
Welcome to our not so little group. Good to have you aboard.
We're birthday brothers, Nov 26th. Except I'm 1954.

Do you own any T's yet? If so, what you got?
I have to keep a list of mine taped to my computer, so I can give the scientific names when refering to them. The latin names just kick my butt. But I keep trying to learn them. LOL :?

Ernie
...1954...wasn't that about the time the Ark landed? LOL:D

Yes, I do have a few T's, as listed below:

Petrinochilus murinus (Usumbara Orange Baboon)
Grammastola Rosea (Chilean Rosehair)
Eupalaestrus campestratus (Pink Zebra Beauty)
Poecilotheria regalis (Indian Ornamental)
Citharischius crawshayi (King Baboon)
Brachypelma smithi (Mexican Red Knee)

I do have all my cages labled with both the common and scientific names...and a few other code-numbers for record keeping purposes.

I have just ordered the following that should be arriving this week:

Haplopelma lividum (Cobalt Blue)
Cyriopagopus thorelli (Malaysian Earthtiger)
Ephebopus murinus (Skeleton Tarantula)
Aphonopelma bicoloratum (Mexican Bloodleg)

Geeze...first snakes, then scorpions; and now T's...what a wonderful life eh? :)

FuzzyBritches

Arachnopeon
Welcome a-board! This is a great board. I'm a newbie myself (both to this board and to T's), but I can already say unequivocally that the folks here are patient and helpful. :)

foreverbug

Arachnopeon
I am also a newbie with T., as I am about to by my first T., and they are so cool here. The people here are friendly, and helpful. This is a one of a kind place.

Last edited:

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
former herper as well!

in response, i am also a herper currently and have been for a while (not a huge while mind you...grin, maybe a year? lol.) and also HUGELY appreciated the responses i got with my newbie questions to Ts.

the same thing applies with scientific names usage to Ts as it does to reptiles, esp. snakes. sometimes the common names are different. take, for example, the pink toe. um, there are around 4-5 Ts you could call 'pink toe' and often they are quite different. i tell you, there's a big difference btwn a giant pink toe and a gorgeous antilles, and so the scientific names totally help.

i must say, it's kind of thrilling to be swamped over with so many scientific names as i was when i originally became a herper. :) hehehe...it's a definite challenge and one i can appreciate. it would be nice if common names and scientific names were paired when you were first beginning as people chat online however. (grin) but i had the SAME complaint as a newbie herper...you catch up pretty quickly, if for no other reason than you have to! lol.

i have also greatly appreciated the warm welcome and it has furthered my interest in Ts greatly. you guys are all fantastic and i'll be sticking around here. ;)

Last edited:

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
new to Ts as of about 3 months ago. Was given a G. rosea from someone who didnt want it anymore.

Wanted to learn about them, Someone refered me to this site. Set up an account, started reading posts, And here I am, 3 months later with now 4 Ts the youngest being a 3/4" sling.

Gotta love it here.

-Jason

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How neat, I am also a November 26th Kinda girl (1982) :) And have been involved in herps before arachnids.... I love finding people with common interests online........Although I will admit I was always a bigger lizard fan (chams) than a snake fan, but I've owned several snakes....... Tarantulas are facinating to no end!!!! I'm new to the hobby and soaking up info with the sponge that came with the T, instead of using it for their needs........ :D
With chameleons I always used a combination of scientific names with common, but with tarantulas it seems that the only way to really get someone to know what you are talking about you have to use the scientific names.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
you'll find that if you actually attach a large number of sponges all over your body you will assimilate information much faster. works for me.
=D