Newbie Question about G. rosea (first-time jitters!)

Ondottr

Arachnopeon
Hey all!
So I just got my first ever T and I'm having some newbie jitters about its enclosure! :anxious:
It came with a small critter keeper that should be the right size for little buddy for a while. I just had to add a water dish and a little pot for it to hide in, and I put in another layer of substrate to reduce the height.
But since doing this, the little dude has climbed up the wall and stayed near the top for the last couple days; I haven't once seen it come down, though it moves around on the wall and sometimes rests it's feet on the ground. I'm not so worried about it not moving, but I'm concerned that it might be avoiding the substrate for some reason. I was pretty sure I made it too damp the first time, so I sprinkled some more dry substrate on to even it out. Now the substrate holds shape but doesn't feel wet to the touch. But buddy still won't come down! I specifically chose a hardy species to accommodate my learning process, but I want it to be happy!
Maybe it just likes it up there? Or it's settling in to the new layout and will come explore eventually. It's due to feed in a couple days; I'm hoping a nice juicy cricket will tempt it down from the ceiling!
Should I be worried, or is this perfectly normal? :confused:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
It's perfectly normal. Best thing to do is leave it alone and keep the water dish topped off. I see this behavior during most rehouses.

Congrats on the new T!

cold blood

Staff member
It will come down when the sub dries...they can be particularly sensitive to moisture. Kk's have a lot of ventilation, so it should dry pretty quickly.

Post some pics of the enclosure.

Timc

Arachnosquire
Grammastola like dry substrate. Now, I would just let the sub you have in there now dry out and not stress the spider by removing her again unless the sub is downright sloppy. I've also had a few terrestrials climb the walls for a couple of days after a rehouse. Just let them do their thing and if in a week or two nothing changes, then worry. Tarantulas are one of the pets where less is more; as in the less you do the better off they are, generally.

Ondottr

Arachnopeon
It will come down when the sub dries...they can be particularly sensitive to moisture. Kk's have a lot of ventilation, so it should dry pretty quickly.

Post some pics of the enclosure.
Here it is! This photo looks like the substrate needs to dry out some more, especially the bottom layers. Guess I'll just wait a bit!
[URL=http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/ondottr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/KIMG1206_zpskmebbeai.jpg.html][/URL]
Here's the whole thing.
[URL=http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/ondottr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/KIMG1205_zps5kxoeddb.jpg.html][/URL]

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Your setup actually looks good, aside from the humidity of course. Good job on raising the substrate, that's the most common issue new keepers have. As other said, simply allow it to dry out. This is a hardy spider so it'll be fine. If you'd prefer an immediate solution, then you could just rehouse it. Either way your spider will adapt and be just fine in the end.

Personally, I'd choose the rehouse option. Only because the tarantula can then begin to settle in immediately rather than waiting a week or two.

Ondottr

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the help, folks!
I'll rehouse little buddy tonight with some nice dry substrate! I definitely overestimated how much moisture it needs. It'll be an eventful first few days with me for the little thing, but then I can leave it alone and be grateful that it can tolerate me! :)