Newbie Q's - At what size can you tell sex by exuvium? And what do you do with your male T's?

ryancreek

Arachnopeon
I recently tentatively sexed my 2" (front to back leg, and maybe a bit longer) Brazilian White Knee (A. genic) as male. Looked for spermathecae in the exuvium between the first set of booklungs and found nothing at all - indicating a male. I am wondering though, if T's maybe don't develop their parts until they are a bit older, or if spermatecae would already be present in a T of this size if it were female? :?

Supposing this is a male A. genic, and I DO NOT at this time plan to breed T's.... What should I do with this male T when it gets close to becoming a MM? Sell it and let someone else use it for breeding? Is that sort of the standard in this hobby?

Last edited:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
You can see spermathecae at a really small size if you have a good scope... otherwise it's very, ver difficult to see with even a magnifying glass. I was able to see spermathecae clearly without any kind of magnification at around 3 - 3.5" for my sexed female juvies (B. smithi, P. lugardi, P. irminia).

With the P. irminia, I raised her from a sling and I wasn't able to see ANYTHING until she was about 3"; the spermathecae suddenly stuck out like a sore thumb.

Typically, you would send him out to a fellow hobbiest when your male matures, and in exchange, you get half of the offspring should the female produce a viable sack from the pairing. Of course, you can always sell him, or make other trades. It's up to you really.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
The spermatheca may not be visible at 2". Try looking with a microscope or a magnifying glass.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Depending on the species you can sex them at 1-1.5" with a microscope no problem.

ryancreek

Arachnopeon
The spermatheca may not be visible at 2". Try looking with a microscope or a magnifying glass.
Hmmm... well thanks for your replies both of you.

Looked again with a dissecting probe (don't ask why I have that but no magnification), and there does appear to be a VERY miniscule flap in the right spot, but it does not look like the spermatheca for this species AT ALL. It seems that unless I can pick up something to magnify it with, I may just have to wait and get a better idea with the next molt when it's closer to 3 inches, but for now I am leaning male.

Last edited:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Hmmm... well thanks for your replies both of you.

Looked again with a dissecting probe (don't ask why I have that but no magnification), and there does appear to be a VERY miniscule flap in the right spot, but it does not look like the spermatheca for this species AT ALL. It seems that unless I can pick up something to magnify it with, I may just have to wait and get a better idea with the next molt when it's closer to 3 inches, but for now I am leaning male.
Ive had a few Ts i thought were male and ended up female when i didnt have a microscope. But when in doubt I always lean male. {D