Newbie Needs Advice on First T

TexasT

Arachnopeon
Hi y'all! I'm hoping to acquire my first tarantula within the next month or so but am undecided as to what to get. I'm hoping for some suggestions from other more experienced owners. I have alot of experience with herps and all types of other animals so I think the husbandry part should be pretty easy for me to get down. It would obviously be better for me to start out with an "easier" species, but I think I could handle a moderately demanding one also. I've fallen in love with the looks of the GBBs and Avics but am more than open to all suggestions. Tell me what you think :).

LV-426

Arachnobaron
i would say if you have the experience with herps you can get pretty much any T you want. My first Ts were a P cancerides and N chromatus (so called intermediate species). I dont handle them, if you are looking to handle your T then look at the genus Grammostola or Brachypelma. Welcome to the hobby.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

and while your at it pick up a copy of The Tarntula Keepers Guide, that is the Bible of T keeping

TexasT

Arachnopeon
i would say if you have the experience with herps you can get pretty much any T you want. My first Ts were a P cancerides and N chromatus (so called intermediate species). I dont handle them, if you are looking to handle your T then look at the genus Grammostola or Brachypelma. Welcome to the hobby.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

and while your at it pick up a copy of The Tarntula Keepers Guide, that is the Bible of T keeping
Thanks, I'll definitely pick up a copy of that book! And yeah, I'm not really looking for one to handle so much lol.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Thanks, I'll definitely pick up a copy of that book! And yeah, I'm not really looking for one to handle so much lol.
In that case the sky is the limit. Get something that appeals to you. I mostly look at affordability and large size when full grown.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
these are commonly reccomended terrestrial "beginner Ts", but as arachnomancer said its really up to you. GBB are good choices, as well as Avics, although you may want to go for a juvie if you do decide on some type of Avicularia.

some more experienced owners will pursuade you to steer clear of anything extremely fast/defensive (most OW Ts, such as "baboons" and "pokies") or with picky care requirements (such as Theraphosa and Haplopelma) as your first, but that is your call. personally even working with herps and all sorts of other little critters still did not prepare me for the speed tarantulas can hit when they get spooked, so going with something fast and potetent may not be a first time ideal.

for what its worth, in my limited experiences i've had since joining the hobby a year ago, after you start working with them, it seems like people make them out to much worse. i've had far more threat displays and bad behaviour from my so-called "docile" species than my OW (old world) tarantulas.

Last edited:

LV-426

Arachnobaron
i agree with malevolentrobot, Ts can be fast when they want to be. When i bought my P cambridgei sling at my local herp store a few months ago i never seen anything so small move so fast, and turn on a dime to boot.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
First T

I'ts up to you. Although Avics and GBB are usually not commonly listed as best First T's, they are certainly do-able. The biggest issue would be speed and skittishness, when compared to the typical docile, slow-moving "pet rock" NW terrestrial. As long as you aren't intimidated by the "burst of speed" that Avics and GBB's are capable of, then go for it! They are much faster growing, and more interesting than let's say, a Rose-Hair. If you decide to go with an Avic, just remember taht they typically require higher humidity (especially small slings!) than most of the others. Gbb's love it dry! GBB's and some of the Avics can be kind of pricey, too, but the prices seem to be getting more reasonable on them.