newbie needing some advice

Hello everyone.
i'm quite new to keeping invertabretes other than ant colonys, and i would like to ask some questions about what spiders are good beginners for someone in the netherlands. I'm looking for something that doesn't live exclusively in a web and kinda something like a wolf spider genus, i know what to feed spiders, but not the types of enclosures they should have.
I don't really care what species it is, as long as it's not a spider that builds webs als lives in them. (i mean species that build webs betweed branches and such)
Any advice is welcome!

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I'm more of a tarantula guy, but Hogna sp. get pretty large. Make sure not to feed them wild prey items since the risk of pesticides isn't worth it.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Orb weavers and the like that build large webs don't do well in captivity, they need large cages to build their webs. If you don't mind the potentially lethal venom, widow spiders might be what you're looking for.
Edit: read that wrong, you don't want a webbing species, in that case, check out Heteropoda. Huntsman spiders are great.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
The problem being newbie+heteropoda=Let's play catch-the-spider AKA reflex test. Tried to corral a little juvenile yesterday morning over broad expanse of open floor. It won. All about light speed acceleration and having eyes in the back of their heads.

The problem being newbie+heteropoda=Let's play catch-the-spider AKA reflex test. Tried to corral a little juvenile yesterday morning over broad expanse of open floor. It won. All about light speed acceleration and having eyes in the back of their heads.
I know how to catch fast spiders, i did that day in day out when i was 4-7years old

basin79

ArachnoGod
Orb weavers and the like that build large webs don't do well in captivity, they need large cages to build their webs. If you don't mind the potentially lethal venom, widow spiders might be what you're looking for.
Edit: read that wrong, you don't want a webbing species, in that case, check out Heteropoda. Huntsman spiders are great.
Not strictly true. Orbs will build a web that's functional in a small enclosure (compared to a room). My girl did.

I've also seen a video where an experiment was carried out on orbs in captivity. They where housed in cubes and where all fed in roughly the same spot all the time. However the spot changed for each spider group. It didn't take the orbs long to build webs specific for their needs. Those that got fed in the bottom left built webs that where shaped for that area etcetera. It was really smart.

However this isn't helping the OP.

Of all the spiders I have the only ones who don't build a web of sorts are my Sicarius Terrosus and my Ctenus red fang. Those however hide away in their own right only venturing our at night.

Although he does reside in his web hammock my little male Phidippus Regius is quite active and is out and about during the day when he's hungry. They really are characters and absolutely beautiful. Here's mine.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Not strictly true. Orbs will build a web that's functional in a small enclosure (compared to a room). My girl did.

I've also seen a video where an experiment was carried out on orbs in captivity. They where housed in cubes and where all fed in roughly the same spot all the time. However the spot changed for each spider group. It didn't take the orbs long to build webs specific for their needs. Those that got fed in the bottom left built webs that where shaped for that area etcetera. It was really smart.
just repeating what ive heard. ive kept some orbs here and there in the past, didnt have too much issue with them. granted i only had them for no more than a month or two.

basin79

ArachnoGod
just repeating what ive heard. ive kept some orbs here and there in the past, didnt have too much issue with them. granted i only had them for no more than a month or two.
Orbs are kept in T/reptile rooms on modified hula hoops. The hoop is covered and hung in a corner and the orb builds a web and lives free. So long as they can build a functional web and the conditions are right I don't think they'd be too fussed. Less work for them.

Gman32176

Arachnopeon
Orbs are kept in T/reptile rooms on modified hula hoops. The hoop is covered and hung in a corner and the orb builds a web and lives free. So long as they can build a functional web and the conditions are right I don't think they'd be too fussed. Less work for them.
This just sounds absolutely amazing.

Also on topic, I recommend a wolf spider sp. as well. None too jumpy, a lot like a T compared to most true spiders as well. Stays out quite a bit though, atleast mine does.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Hello everyone.
i'm quite new to keeping invertabretes other than ant colonys, and i would like to ask some questions about what spiders are good beginners for someone in the netherlands. I'm looking for something that doesn't live exclusively in a web and kinda something like a wolf spider genus, i know what to feed spiders, but not the types of enclosures they should have.
I don't really care what species it is, as long as it's not a spider that builds webs als lives in them. (i mean species that build webs betweed branches and such)
Any advice is welcome!
There is a Dutch facebook group which can help,it is called 'vogelspinnenforum.nl', which is also the name of the Dutch forum. To see if someone has one for sale you can go to the facebook group 'vogelspinnen marktplaats'. ;)