Newbie , making sure enclosure is adequate!

Astanleyvogt1996

Arachnopeon
I am new to the hobby , and purchased this T about a month ago. She eats well and doesn’t seem to have any issues. I did notice she was kinda sliding on the glass and almost falling from it. Sliding has stopped maybe her feet just got wet? I just want to be sure the enclosure is set up the best it can be. Species is a pink toe. Not sure about specifics. Any pointers? Tips? Bald spot on butt mean molt is coming? Sorry it’s an overload lol.

Attachments

ZackP1023

Arachnopeon
The Pink Toe’s scientific name is Avicularia Avicularia. I have a juvenile pink toe.

Bald spot doesn’t necessarily mean premolt. That’s just from kicking hairs, either in self-defense or for lining a hide or burrow.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
I'm sure I'm merely the first of many who will say this, but that enclosure is not great, avicularia need lots of mass airflow, which doesn't happen with only top ventilation. The front-opening exo terra or zoo med enclosures can work with minor modification (replacing the screen with Plexiglas or other acrylic/Lexan etc with holes drilled for ventilation). The screen top can also be problematic as the crossed wires create pinch points which can trap the tarsal claws leading to injury. The setup looks okay, could use some fake plant leaf clutter up top around the "tree" and/or on the walls for web anchor points, but far more worrying is the lack of cross-flow ventilation. Many avic keepers use plastic jars or canisters as they are easy to add holes for ventilation. I prefer the look of an exo terra/zoo med myself.

I'd also recommend reading this thread, especially the two linked posts about Avicularia and Caribena - they're jam packed with really great information for proper husbandry of these species. And toss or any online care sheets or anything provided by a local pet store related to keeping them - almost all are better thought of as "Avicularia murder instructions" than "care sheets".

Astanleyvogt1996

Arachnopeon
I'd also recommend reading this thread, especially the two linked posts about Avicularia and Caribena - they're jam packed with really great information for proper husbandry of these species. And toss or any online care sheets or anything provided by a local pet store related to keeping them - almost all are better thought of as "Avicularia murder instructions" than "care sheets".

Noted, so cross ventilation. Replace wire screening...fake foliage. What else would you suggest I could do to make this enclosure work? This is my first T and I have to say I’m in love. I’m actually terrified of small spider so it’s a wonder to me how a T is ok lol.

Astanleyvogt1996

Arachnopeon
I'm sure I'm merely the first of many who will say this, but that enclosure is not great, avicularia need lots of mass airflow, which doesn't happen with only top ventilation. The front-opening exo terra or zoo med enclosures can work with minor modification (replacing the screen with Plexiglas or other acrylic/Lexan etc with holes drilled for ventilation). The screen top can also be problematic as the crossed wires create pinch points which can trap the tarsal claws leading to injury. The setup looks okay, could use some fake plant leaf clutter up top around the "tree" and/or on the walls for web anchor points, but far more worrying is the lack of cross-flow ventilation. Many avic keepers use plastic jars or canisters as they are easy to add holes for ventilation. I prefer the look of an exo terra/zoo med myself.
Noted. S
This is common in all species as they approach a molt.
i thought she might be in pre molt but she has still been eating every two days or so...she does have a bald spot on her butt and I don’t handle her so I’m sure she isn’t stressed...idk lol I’m pretty new at this

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Noted. S

i thought she might be in pre molt but she has still been eating every two days or so...she does have a bald spot on her butt and I don’t handle her so I’m sure she isn’t stressed...idk lol I’m pretty new at this
Ive had Ts eat the day they molted.

Pepper

Arachnosquire
she has still been eating every two days or so.
This spider has a pretty big abdomen for an arboreal. Unless you're feeding something quite small, i would cut feeding back to like once a week. This may explain the sliding, and it may not. And the feeding rate is just my personal preference, not a huge issue at this stage

arctichen

Arachnopeon
You don't need to feed this often, I only feed my subadult male (around 4") once a fortnight.
Agreed. I feed my older slings and juvies once a week, younger slings twice a week.
But as to the T, it looks like it's in premolt. Wouldn't recommend touching it right now.