Newbie - looking to purchase first T

MKG

Arachnopeon
Looking for recommendations on what is a good beginner T. I really want a colorful one. I think slow and hardy would be great.
Thinking a GBB?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
C. cyaneopubescens is not a slow tarantula - quite the opposite, it's skittish and fast for a NW. That's the GBB, by the way.

Take a look and see if one tickles your fancy.

Colorful and slow don't usually go together in nature. You may have to loosen your definition of "colorful" - I mean, B. emilia certainly is colorful! What's your price range?

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Most information available suggests a GBB is anything but slow. Do a quick search and you will find they are hardy and easy to care for. As long as you realize the potential speed and take care, go for it.

MKG

Arachnopeon
C. cyaneopubescens is not a slow tarantula - quite the opposite, it's skittish and fast for a NW. That's the GBB, by the way.

Take a look and see if one tickles your fancy.

Colorful and slow don't usually go together in nature. You may have to loosen your definition of "colorful" - I mean, B. emilia certainly is colorful! What's your price range?
I like the Mexican Redleg:) I need a juvenile I do believe. Price range...$100 give or take.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
The GBB is a great starter. Give it lots of web anchor points. Be aware that it can be quick but then all slings can be quick.
Keep it dry with a water dish and you will be fine.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I like the Mexican Redleg:) I need a juvenile I do believe. Price range...$100 give or take.
Red leg... is that B. boehmei? You should be able to find a juvie for that price. Brachypelma grow slowly for the most part, meaning spiders are relatively small for the price paid.

Try to get used to scientific names. "Red Leg" could refer to half a dozen different species. It just helps to avoid confusion.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I completely agree with what you said about 'GBB' my man, but we need to (re)consider that NW aren't so slow at all (at 360°) once someone decide to move out from the 'Grammo/Brachy' league.

I swear that my Megaphobema robustum (if we consider even how much bulky she is) is one of the most agile spiders I had. Those 'kicks', the way she returns in the burrow fast as light when scared... not even near the OW's of course but not slow at all :-s

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I completely agree with what you said about 'GBB' my man, but we need to (re)consider that NW aren't so slow at all (at 360°) once someone decide to move out from the 'Grammo/Brachy' league.

I swear that my Megaphobema robustum (if we consider even how much bulky she is) is one of the most agile spiders I had. Those 'kicks', the way she returns in the burrow fast as light when scared... not even near the OW's of course but not slow at all :-s
Absolutely. Same goes for N. incei, H. sp. "Columbia", and Psalmos. Nothing in the Americas beats a robustum's charm, though :angelic:

cold blood

Staff member
B.smithi
and G.pulchripes are great choices
B. emelia is another great one.....but both the Brachys will be over that $100 mark as a juvie female. G. pulchripes will be much easier on the wallet...and a great species to own.

You won't find one for $100, but T.cyaneolum is another great choice...as blue as a GBB and as chill as a pulchripes.

MKG

Arachnopeon
Red leg... is that B. boehmei? You should be able to find a juvie for that price. Brachypelma grow slowly for the most part, meaning spiders are relatively small for the price paid.

Try to get used to scientific names. "Red Leg" could refer to half a dozen different species. It just helps to avoid confusion.
Well, I meant Brachypelma smithi.

cold blood

Staff member
Well, I meant Brachypelma smithi.
This is why common names are despised by most of us...common names are so similar and over-lapping very often.....emelia is the red leg, smithi is the red knee, bohmei is fire leg....easier to just learn scientific names so there is no confusion.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Not to mention a lot of countries have the same common name for different species
example; Brachypelma emilia - Mexican red leg
Megaphobema mesomelas - Costa Rica red leg

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
IME, there is no such thing as a 'slow' Ts. GBB is quite a colorful sp and good for beginners,i dont think i have seen any tarantula top-list that doesnt include this baby.The first thing you'll learn once entering the hobby is that you cant be satisfied with just the one,specially once u see how beautiful the other species is.

Also,i suggest you enter the hobby with a sling.they're much harder to raise but more rewarding when they do.Also,always respect the speed and agility of the tarantula.no.matter.what.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
A newbie... *twirls evil mustache*
The G. pulchripes is surely the ultimate choice. Here's my baby girl:
Regina superworm.JPG They get to be up to EIGHT INCHES in leg span, making them one of the largest beginner tarantulas. They're also fairly fast-growing for a beginner species. Besides the G. pulchripes, there's also the adorable B. albopilosum and the flashy B. smithi. Yeah of you want a slow species the Greenbottle isn't for you. Ain't nothing slow about those things...

MKG

Arachnopeon
B.smithi
and G.pulchripes are great choices
B. emelia is another great one.....but both the Brachys will be over that $100 mark as a juvie female. G. pulchripes will be much easier on the wallet...and a great species to own.

You won't find one for $100, but T.cyaneolum is another great choice...as blue as a GBB and as chill as a pulchripes.
Love the pictures. Thank you.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
This is why common names are despised by most of us...common names are so similar and over-lapping very often.....emelia is the red leg, smithi is the red knee, bohmei is fire leg....easier to just learn scientific names so there is no confusion.
Agree!
Then you have to contend with the recent scientific revisions. I never relabeled my L. violaceopes to O. violaceopes, WSC rejected it, so I'm good. Still have my smithi labeled as such, WSC has hamorii and smithi as accepted species, separate. So a bit of a conundrum on what its label should be. ????

After the Aviculariinae revisions, much needed, many label makers were put to use. Lol!
Saturday was a local show and every invert was labeled w/h common names. Seller didn't know what the binomial names were either. :( Did have some scorpions labeled "tri color burrowing" that I was interested in, no sale. Place was so crowded I didn't feel like doing a search and have my phone knocked out of my hands.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
A newbie... *twirls evil mustache*
The G. pulchripes is surely the ultimate choice. Here's my baby girl:
View attachment 235273 They get to be up to EIGHT INCHES in leg span, making them one of the largest beginner tarantulas. They're also fairly fast-growing for a beginner species. Besides the G. pulchripes, there's also the adorable B. albopilosum and the flashy B. smithi. Yeah of you want a slow species the Greenbottle isn't for you. Ain't nothing slow about those things...

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I have six beginner Ts , one of which is a GBB , I always check to to see where she / he is in their set up when feeding etc before opening the top , and do everything on the floor . It's a case of being very aware of what they can actually do ( run fast ) and doing everything in a sale way for your T . Had her Three weeks . Try and do everything when she's in her hide , not when she's out and about , yes she did run when i took out a locust which was uneaten , luckily not upwards ! I'm just sort of going with the flow with her. It's handy if they are already in a suitable set up , my daughter did that for me luckily, as she's used to Pokies and OBTs , but theirs plenty for the beginner to keep . My personal favourite is the Euathlus sp Red ( Chile Flame ) very cute for a T , very active , out and about most of the time and a dwarf species, so not to big . Mine climbs a lot so have raised the substrate in case of falls . I also agree with the other Ts mentioned by the other members .