Newbie here!

Apexsilverevo

Arachnopeon
Hey all, I am brand new to the boards and am pretty much an arachnophobe lol... Although I am trying to face my fears to some extent haha!

I recently found what appears to be a local species of tarantula near my house, I think it is an Aphonopelma chaleodes, but I don't know for sure... a local pet shop said it is prolly a Cinnamon Tarantula? I can't seem to find any info on the web about the cinnamon other than like a belize cinnamon etc. If it is an Aphonopelma chaleodes, is it a good starter pet? It seems really docile and I made an aquarium for him ( I think its a him since I am pretty sure it was out looking for a mate) as he is a good 3-4 inches leg to leg.

My questions are mostly, how to care for him properly or should I just release him back into the desert?

Thanks a ton!!!!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aphonopelma chalcodes = Desert blonde, not cinnamon

Check under it's first two legs and see if there are hooks, and see if his pedipalps (two short leg like appendages next to the fangs) look like boxing gloves. If so then you have a mature male. It would be best to let it go. Mature males do not live long. They're only priority is to mate at this stage. Depending on when it molted, it could live a few weeks or even a few months, regardless, it's on it's last stint of life, and you should release.

You should look into getting another spider from online or from a pet store. But if you do happen to find a female in the wild, Aphonopelma are good starter species and are pretty docile. If you can't find one, then order one or purchase one of these:

Any Grammostola (G. pulchripes and G. pulchra are highly recommended)
Any Brachypelma (B. albopilosum and B. smithi are good)
Any Aphonopelma (A. seemanni tend to be skittish though)

Post some pics of the aquarium you set up so we can give you some pointers and advice. Good luck in finding a tarantula. This is great hobby and once you get one, you will have many more, believe me. And finally...

Welcome to arachnoboards.

bholmes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yep that is a mature male. Better off letting him go in the wild so he can find a mate. Or you can keep him and see if you like owning tarantulas as pets seeing as he is going to die anyway. Care for them is simple, give him a water bowl filled with clean water and feed him a couple crickets every week or two.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Agreed. Let him go. If having him around for the brief period you've had him has sparked a further interest for you, then perhaps you could look into getting yourself another!

I used to be a TERRIBLE arachnophobe, but after some research and bringing home my first T over a year ago, I've learned to love and respect them for the fascinating creatures they are. I now have 53 of them!

It could turn into a beautiful thing!

In the meantime, though, it'd be best for the little fella if you sent him on his merry way.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Apexsilvero, Yep, let him go. Once you get another t that isn't a mm, a good point to begin with would be to get peat moss or coconut coir for substrate. Good luck with it. :)

Apexsilverevo

Arachnopeon
Roger that! I'll be releasing him today then. Yeah it did actually turn my feelings around in my wife and me... Even my daughter thinks its pretty cool now. So maybe later I'll get another one I just can't see myself bare handed holding them yet lol!!!

Thanks again for all the info!!!!