Newbie got the bug😊

Pangalin

Arachnopeon
So after only one week with new 10cm b.hamorii,I'm hooked... so were do I go from here?? Love the way some T,s web up ...Any suggestions

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Learn as much as you can about your new T as well as others before expanding your collection. You’ll thank me later.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Best webbing new world Neoholothele Incei, they are dwarfs and to be honest I think they make a great second species. By time you get a second species you should be able to learn how to research their husbandry.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
I've got a fever. And the only cure is more spiders!

I waited 9 months before I got my second spider. I learned A LOT in those 9 months. Take your time. Be the candle that burns a long time not the one that fizzles out quickly.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I will say it will take a long time to gain experience from having only 1 slow growing tarantula that is basically grown. If it is 10cm then likely you will never have to rehouse at that size it is almost adult. I got 5 or 7 spiders on my first ever order. It helps to have different species and growth rates and each spider is different.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
I know everyone is saying to wait, and that's definitely a good option, but my suggestion is to get an adult female from a cheaper species, like A. seemanni, T. albopilosus, or A. chalcodes. Slings can teach you a lot, but so can bigger specimens! I did it the other way around, got an AF and then a sling, but I feel like that combo allowed me to gain more experience more quickly. It's easier to observe behavior on larger specimens, and they're less shy, so you get to watch them do spider things more often. Wait a few weeks, scout out a good price on the species you want, get the enclosure set up, and then get the T, IMO.

I also second the idea of starting a feeder colony if you plan to get more than a few spiders eventually. I have mealworms, but roaches are a very popular option!

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I got my 30th T about 8 months after I started...DO NOT BE LIKE ME. I‘d agree with learning more about your current T, but one that‘s a med-fast grower wouldn’t hurt, you’d get more hands on experience with growth and rehousing. But don’t let it be a gateway to continue adding like me, it can become a lot to take on for some once the threshold is passed for patience and time it takes.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I got my 30th T about 8 months after I started...DO NOT BE LIKE ME. I‘d agree with learning more about your current T, but one that‘s a med-fast grower wouldn’t hurt, you’d get more hands on experience with growth and rehousing. But don’t let it be a gateway to continue adding like me, it can become a lot to take on for some once the threshold is passed for patience and time it takes.
jeebus I've been keeping Ts for over a decade and I'm still not to 30

Craig73

Arachnoangel
jeebus I've been keeping Ts for over a decade and I'm still not to 30
I know, I know, I should have stopped at 29. 😐 I’m done for awhile now. Focus is on sprucing up the T shelves and make them look display worthy.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
It’s been about 3 months keeping here. We wanted a full spectrum to learn all the time. We have 3 small slings 2 1-inchers 2 juvies, and 2 AF’s. We’ve really been getting a new perspective every day on care and good habits. What a journey.

Also, as mentioned above, about a week into the hobby we started our first dubia colony. Great entertainment for 3 yr olds.