Newbie advice

SwingBlade

Arachnopeon
Hey folks!

This is the first old-school forum I've signed up for in ages. Kinda nice nostalgia!

So I recently picked up a lovely Asian forest scorpion. Years ago, I had tarantulas, but have been wanting to try a scorpion pet. He's a good lil fella and that he seemed so comfortable letting me pick him up and walking around on me, sold me on buying him.

I picked up this for his initial setup:
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/starter-kits/thrive-reptile-terrarium-essentials-kit-5290933.html

Mostly I wanted what might be an amiable heat lamp. I am not using the included bulb, as it is ultraviolet and I know that is harmful to his exo. I do not have the carpet substrate set up. There is 1gal of the Creatures brand substrate affording about 2-3" of soil for him.

I would appreciate some advice from here! Firstly, I want to ask about heating. I want to keep things warm for him, though he lives in my bedroom (I sublet) and I need to keep things cooler for my own comfort. Links/direction to optimal lamp bulbs would be great!

Relatedly, I know they are nocturnal and I am pretty sure I need to try to set up a relative day/night cycle for him. I have seen mention of sun/moon bulbs? Also, I am a firefighter, so spend at least one day in three away from home. So things like suggestions for automating this system would be ideal.

Also, what are suggestions for helping maintain humidity?

Thank you in advance for advice!

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You could probably add a few more inches of substrate if you wanted to but as long as you offer buried hides it should be alright. Also for heating they need to be kept between 75° and 80°. You can use an infrared heat lamp to achieve this. If you have windows in the room it's in that would be enough to provide day and night cycle. The infrared can be used day and night. Cover the top to keep in humidity and keep the soil moist by wetting it down but dont over do it to the point where its mud. This is an overall easy to keep species and I'm sure you'll do fine! As far as being gone a few days here in there you should be fine. I recommend getting springtails to help keep the enclosure clean.

SwingBlade

Arachnopeon
You could probably add a few more inches of substrate if you wanted to but as long as you offer buried hides it should be alright. Also for heating they need to be kept between 75° and 80°. You can use an infrared heat lamp to achieve this. If you have windows in the room it's in that would be enough to provide day and night cycle. The infrared can be used day and night. Cover the top to keep in humidity and keep the soil moist by wetting it down but dont over do it to the point where its mud. This is an overall easy to keep species and I'm sure you'll do fine! As far as being gone a few days here in there you should be fine. I recommend getting springtails to help keep the enclosure clean.
I picked up my boi the same day as my friend got her first T. She's picked up a couple since and said she got some springtails with them. Maybe I'll abscond with some?

Do you have link/recommendation for a reliable infrafred bulb? And is it something that can be kept on 24/7? I think you said so just confirming, since I am unfamiliar and want to be sure.

The only window in my space is behind my bed, and since that's where my bed is, and I can definitely see rearranging things now that I think of it, but failing that the light-bulb I have set up is a smartbulb I can control from my phone.

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I picked up my boi the same day as my friend got her first T. She's picked up a couple since and said she got some springtails with them. Maybe I'll abscond with some?

Do you have link/recommendation for a reliable infrafred bulb? And is it something that can be kept on 24/7? I think you said so just confirming, since I am unfamiliar and want to be sure.

The only window in my space is behind my bed, and since that's where my bed is, and I can definitely see rearranging things now that I think of it, but failing that the light-bulb I have set up is a smartbulb I can control from my phone.
Yeah I leave my infrared bulbs on all the time. It keeps my set up at high 70s low 80s. Get an electronic thermometer / hygrometer you can get one at Walmart or hardware store cheap. Oh and zoomed makes some 75watt infrared bulbs.

SwingBlade

Arachnopeon
Yeah I leave my infrared bulbs on all the time. It keeps my set up at high 70s low 80s. Get an electronic thermometer / hygrometer you can get one at Walmart or hardware store cheap. Oh and zoomed makes some 75watt infrared bulbs.
Thank you for the info, have a Zoo Med 75w coming in tomorrow! The joys of living in the Atlanta area, quick Amazon delivery lol. What sorts of things should I put in as shelters/hidey spots for him? Also, how many scorpions would be comfortable living in a 10gal terrarium? I'd like to get at least one more just so he has a buddy.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
I'd like to get at least one more just so he has a buddy.
Did you see them together in a enclosure inside the pet store ? If yes, then your scorpion could be a H. Longimanus.
Adult Longimanus can do pretty well communally, I've seen several cases.
But be careful, other Heterometrus species are not so communal, if they were kept separate in the pet store you might already have your answer.
If you don't like feeding scorpions to your scorpions, then you might want to ID your 'Asian Friendly Scorpion' first !
My Heterometrus scorpions are not fussy about their hides, a piece of bark, a curved piece of rock or even half of a flower pot will do.
As long as it's dark under there.

SwingBlade

Arachnopeon
Did you see them together in a enclosure inside the pet store ? If yes, then your scorpion could be a H. Longimanus.
Adult Longimanus can do pretty well communally, I've seen several cases.
But be careful, other Heterometrus species are not so communal, if they were kept separate in the pet store you might already have your answer.
If you don't like feeding scorpions to your scorpions, then you might want to ID your 'Asian Friendly Scorpion' first !
My Heterometrus scorpions are not fussy about their hides, a piece of bark, a curved piece of rock or even half of a flower pot will do.
As long as it's dark under there.
I got him from Repticon, from a lady who several people referred me to as the scorpion expert of the show. He was in his own plastic clamshell container, but I suspect that was mostly for transport's sake. She told me he was of a communal species so just have that to go on. I see other discussions on this board that they generally get along well together except in the times they don't lol

NMWAPBT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you for the info, have a Zoo Med 75w coming in tomorrow! The joys of living in the Atlanta area, quick Amazon delivery lol. What sorts of things should I put in as shelters/hidey spots for him? Also, how many scorpions would be comfortable living in a 10gal terrarium? I'd like to get at least one more just so he has a buddy.
I'd use bark or a log partially buried or a burrow started under the hide for it. I've used these with great success with most of my scorpions.
20200106_181353.jpg 20191230_022756.jpg

This is my emps hide. It created a burrow under the bark. Keep the substrate moist so it holds shape.

You might get away with keeping 2 in a 10gal if you keep them well fed and they have plenty of hides but heterometrus are large scorpions. I would recommend a bigger enclosure just in case though.

Last edited: