Newb enclosure advice?

Blade122888

Arachnopeon
First of all, I have owned a G. Rosea (my first T) for several months. Admittedly, I fell prey to ignorance when I first set up her enclosure in a 20 gallon glass aquarium. 18(ish)" tall, 24"ish wide, 12"ish thick(deep?). Having said that, THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR WONDERFUL POSTS ON ENCLOSURES!!! You have quite possibly saved me from a dead or seriously injured T. I have spent the last several hours researching proper care and housing for her, and immediately after getting home from work, I have transferred her (Ghoma) to a much smaller enclosure (See pic below). I would like to ask for feedback on this new setup. The new enclosure is plexiglass, about 6.5-7" tall, 18" wide, and 7" deep. Feel free to criticize away, I know I deserve it for getting a T before doing the proper research. I have my copy of 'A Keepers guide to Tarantulas' arriving first thing tomorrow morning, but I would like to get some experienced feedback as well... Thoughts?

Attachments

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
I'd add more substrate to minimize the height from the top of the enclosure to the bottom should your specimen decide to scale the glass and fall in the process, 2nd T's have been able to break open mesh vents along with getting they're tarsal claws stuck in-between them, causing them to dangle for hours and/or loose a leg, and third those zoomed humidity/temp gauges are horribly unreliable and not needed for an arid sp., rule of thumb is that if the temp is comfortable for you, then its suitable for your specimen as-well.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
No criticism here - you're asking the right questions, that's the important part! I'm going to be brief:

-Lose the screen vents. Their tarsal claws can get caught. You can pick up plastic vents at most hardware stores that would work just fine.
-It's still a bit high, but not much that I would worry about honestly. Next time, keep it under 2x the dls (diagonal leg span) from floor to ceiling.
-No need for the thermometer or hydrometer. Sell it or something, this species needs no extra care (and no species needs a humidity gauge)

Other than those three things, man, you look fine. If you do end up adding more substrate, bury his/her hide a bit into the substrate. There is no such thing as a claustrophobic spider; they like tight fitting hides.

Blade122888

Arachnopeon
No criticism here - you're asking the right questions, that's the important part! I'm going to be brief:

-Lose the screen vents. Their tarsal claws can get caught. You can pick up plastic vents at most hardware stores that would work just fine.
-It's still a bit high, but not much that I would worry about honestly. Next time, keep it under 2x the dls (diagonal leg span) from floor to ceiling.
-No need for the thermometer or hydrometer. Sell it or something, this species needs no extra care (and no species needs a humidity gauge)

Other than those three things, man, you look fine. If you do end up adding more substrate, bury his/her hide a bit into the substrate. There is no such thing as a claustrophobic spider; they like tight fitting hides.
I don't think it will let me 'like' as well as 'mark helpful', so Thank you! I will definitely do those! I will deepen the substrate after adding a small 'extension' to the bottom to hold it in (the 'lip' is currently too short), to meet the 2X dls you mentioned. I agree completely with the temp/humidity gauge, got it thinking I'd need it but all its done is prove I am in a very nice range for 'most' species I have researched. I had a feeling those screens would be bad as well, had no idea they sell plastic vents! I'll have to pick some up! This is EXACTLY why I have started becoming addicted to this site, you all are amazing!

inserirnome

Arachnopeon
-needs a humidity gauge).
I'm prety noob myself, so sorry if understood it wrong. So plastic is better than metal? Shouldnt it be similar? Cant they break through plastic as easily? I currently use a "fly mesh" to cover the top side of the enclosure and was considering changing it to a metal wire one... The grid seems large enough that she doesnt get stuck, and its a terrestrial anyway

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'm prety noob myself, so sorry if understood it wrong. So plastic is better than metal? Shouldnt it be similar? Cant they break through plastic as easily? I currently use a "fly mesh" to cover the top side of the enclosure and was considering changing it to a metal wire one... The grid seems large enough that she doesnt get stuck, and its a terrestrial anyway
Note that I said plastic vents. Metal vents will work as well. Vents, not screens. It's not so great for viewing, but they can't get caught or chew through them. Size has nothing to do with it; their tarsal claws get caught where the wires meet. On top of that, it's actually the terrestrials that seem to be more prone to getting stuck than the arboreals. Just because they're terrestrial doesn't mean they don't climb.

Here are the vents I'm talking about. They're about a dollar each at a hardware store, and a few cents online.
1469027718627471148409.jpg

Last edited:

Blade122888

Arachnopeon
Started working on making the recommended modifications yesterday! Added a lip to the front to raise the substrate height, also added a plastic homemade screen to the front wall to replace the wire mesh. I will still need to replace the back wall wire mesh with more plastic, but for now its a pretty decent start! Can't wait to move her in to the fixed setup! I will post new pictures tonight/tomorrow!

Attachments

Blade122888

Arachnopeon
Question: Is cured gorilla glue toxic or a bad idea? I have a feeling the answer is yes, and I would rather be corrected ahead of time than too late... Starting to think my best bet will be to just buy a pre-made plexi enclosure when I get paid again, but could it affect my G Rosea before the next two weeks pass? Gahhh there is soo much to study on T's, I'm halfway through my Tarantula Keepers guide (reading about molting problems, pg 151 if anyone wants to know lol) and that book, combined with these forums, has made me SUPER paranoid to do anything incorrect while I am learning. I am praying that I don't kill either of my two T's due to ignorance or a lesson I have not yet learned... A few months into the hobby and I am already smitten with these little guys!

The pet store I got her (G rosea, Ghoma, my avatar) from OBVIOUSLY had no clue what they were doing (admittedly I didn't at that time either) but looking back they were using wood chips, a watering sponge, an almost 2 foot tall enclosure, etc. Thank goodness everyone in that store was too phobic to even think of handling her... Now that I have her in my care, its hard not to stress every single little detail.

Another question: I live in an apartment complex that hires an 'organic pest control' center every few months to come into the apartments and spray the 'base' (I assume they mean baseboards...) and to lay out traps. THANK GOODNESS they give you the option to refuse pest control service on your apartment, which I did. My problem is I usually prefer to leave a note on the door with big block letters "DO NOT TREAT THIS RESIDENCE" so they know to stay out. Not so today. I DID CALL IN TO THE OFFICE to tell them to not treat my apartment, that I refuse pest treatment, verified the apartment number TWICE, even gave the 'suggestion' that every time they have treated in the past I get sick for days afterwards. I am hoping they will assume I have an allergy / bad reaction to their treatments, and will take this seriously. I put their containers (a GBB sling, 4th instar, and a mature G Rosea, unknown age) inside a bookshelf cabinet with the doors closed (tight fitting doors, the kind you have to close with the edges pushing against each other or they wont close...) hopefully that helps keep the 'bad air' from outdoors / other apartments / my paranoia ... out. I am also very aware that apartments, and humans in general, make mistakes. Thus, I am emotionally sweating bullets that something is going to go wrong, that somehow I will carry in pesticides, that they will spray anyways, that satan himself will come out of the void to swallow my little ones lol.... (X_X)

Is there ANYTHING I can do to further protect them, or to reduce the chances that I unintentionally allow them to get exposed to this 'organic' (yeah right) chemical loaded, spider killing nightmare? Maybe I'm being paranoid, maybe I'm being proactive....

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
I'm sure it will be ok for 2 weeks, I'd just cover most of the top with a towel or something to reduce airflow.

Be aware that much of the TKG is outdated, and while there's still a lot of good info, there's also a bunch of poor info, so always double check back here on the boards.

Good luck with the apartment, its one reason I would never ever live in an apt complex....I always rent duplexes.

Blade122888

Arachnopeon
I'm sure it will be ok for 2 weeks, I'd just cover most of the top with a towel or something to reduce airflow.

Be aware that much of the TKG is outdated, and while there's still a lot of good info, there's also a bunch of poor info, so always double check back here on the boards.

Good luck with the apartment, its one reason I would never ever live in an apt complex....I always rent duplexes.
Thank you, Ill need luck on my side! I'm honestly thinking I will continue to claim a bad reaction to their pest control products, see if I cannot us it an easy way to keep that crap out of my place... (*fingers crossed!!!*)

Blade122888

Arachnopeon
Note that I said plastic vents. Metal vents will work as well. Vents, not screens. It's not so great for viewing, but they can't get caught or chew through them. Size has nothing to do with it; their tarsal claws get caught where the wires meet. On top of that, it's actually the terrestrials that seem to be more prone to getting stuck than the arboreals. Just because they're terrestrial doesn't mean they don't climb.

Here are the vents I'm talking about. They're about a dollar each at a hardware store, and a few cents online.
View attachment 216063
Question about those vents... Searched the local hardware store, they carry nothing of the sort. :( Might have to expand my search radius...

BUT! I DID find SEVERAL sources for PC Computer fan covers that could be glue or screw mounted onto a plexi enclosure... My question is, Im 90% sure my rosie's carapace cannot fit through the holes, but considering their size, it still makes me nervous... the G rosea is ~4 or 5" LS, and close to a 3/4" to 1" thick (vertical axis) opisthosoma. Can I use these? I have included a ruler for size reference...(ruler shows mm on one side, inches and 1/64" on the other)
PC Fan with Measure.jpg

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Question about those vents... Searched the local hardware store, they carry nothing of the sort. :( Might have to expand my search radius...

BUT! I DID find SEVERAL sources for PC Computer fan covers that could be glue or screw mounted onto a plexi enclosure... My question is, Im 90% sure my rosie's carapace cannot fit through the holes, but considering their size, it still makes me nervous... the G rosea is ~4 or 5" LS, and close to a 3/4" to 1" thick (vertical axis) opisthosoma. Can I use these? I have included a ruler for size reference...(ruler shows mm on one side, inches and 1/64" on the other)
View attachment 216547
Those are actually a great idea! Way better for viewing than what I have, and they look nice at that. I work on computers every day, I can't believe I didn't think of these. I would be shocked if your rosie escapes from those. Good find.

Blade122888

Arachnopeon
Those are actually a great idea! Way better for viewing than what I have, and they look nice at that. I work on computers every day, I can't believe I didn't think of these. I would be shocked if your rosie escapes from those. Good find.
Funny, I also work on computer-esque devices every day, I work in a technology firm developing and deploying automated test and measurement equipment! I was walking past our electronics recycling bin and saw them last night and suddenly I had the infamous light bulb pop on in my head! Glad I did too! I was starting to worry about what the heck to use on this dang re-purposed prototype display case/ invert enclosure...

Thank you!

Blade122888

Arachnopeon
***UPDATE!!!***

Installed the fan cover vents last night!!! They look BEAUTIFUL!!! Now to make the actual vent holes bigger... Off to the HW Store for a circle cutter!!! Soo much excitement! And a (hazy) up close picture just for kicks :D 20160729_Enclosure Updated w PC Fan covers.jpg 20160729_Up Close.jpg

Giles52

Arachnopeon
First of all, I have owned a G. Rosea (my first T) for several months. Admittedly, I fell prey to ignorance when I first set up her enclosure in a 20 gallon glass aquarium. 18(ish)" tall, 24"ish wide, 12"ish thick(deep?). Having said that, THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR WONDERFUL POSTS ON ENCLOSURES!!! You have quite possibly saved me from a dead or seriously injured T. I have spent the last several hours researching proper care and housing for her, and immediately after getting home from work, I have transferred her (Ghoma) to a much smaller enclosure (See pic below). I would like to ask for feedback on this new setup. The new enclosure is plexiglass, about 6.5-7" tall, 18" wide, and 7" deep. Feel free to criticize away, I know I deserve it for getting a T before doing the proper research. I have my copy of 'A Keepers guide to Tarantulas' arriving first thing tomorrow morning, but I would like to get some experienced feedback as well... Thoughts?

'A Keepers guide to Tarantulas' is an excellent book. I had a blast reading it, and it was actually the reason I ended up getting a tarantula. I started it with the intention of only doing some research for a story I was working on, and found myself fascinated by the time I finished it. My husband got me a Mexican Red Knee for my birthday soon after.

Blade122888

Arachnopeon
Another question, this one about my C cyaneopubescens (GBB) sling, approx 3/4" DLS. She (fingers crossed, pushing every 'please be a female' vibe I can at this sling!) has been adjusting to her new enclosure since I rehoused her on 7/29/16. I've read several threads on AB about humidity and 'over flowing' the water dish or placing a few drops of water into the substrate. I have notice that she tends to stay on her cork bark near the top of the enclosure, also next to the ventilation holes, and does not seem at all interested in exploring the remainder of the enclosure. I added a few drops of water on 7/29 (before placing her in the new enclosure, and again on 8/2. There is not much air current in the T room, which I keep at 75F or 24C (I have since left the overhead fan on low as of this morning), and I am slightly concerned that I have been keeping the substrate TOO damp. I am trying not to remove her anymore, as I expect her to molt somewhere in the next week or two, based on purchase date. She is currently 4th instar, purchased 7/14, did not look like a fresh molt when I got her, not to mention she ate aggressively the day I got her, and has not yet molted in my care. She also turned down a mealworm, with it's head crushed for safety, last night. There is 1 row of vent holes all the way around the side, and a second row around the lid (see pictures below). I want to make sure its not too stuffy in there, but should I add more cross ventilation air holes on the enclosure? I am thinking of adding a second, maybe even third row around the sides. Also, considering her impending molt, I am thinking that because of her upcoming molt, higher humidity is a good thing (correct me if I am wrong please). At this point, I am also wondering if I should avoid making any more changes that could stress her out this close to molt? She has made very few webbings around the enclosure the day I rehoused her (7/29) and has since not added any more webbing. Not sure how much of that means anything, but I know you guys like the details! 20160729_193037.jpg Aohnotenshi_buddhaBelly.jpg

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Another question, this one about my C cyaneopubescens (GBB) sling, approx 3/4" DLS. She (fingers crossed, pushing every 'please be a female' vibe I can at this sling!) has been adjusting to her new enclosure since I rehoused her on 7/29/16. I've read several threads on AB about humidity and 'over flowing' the water dish or placing a few drops of water into the substrate. I have notice that she tends to stay on her cork bark near the top of the enclosure, also next to the ventilation holes, and does not seem at all interested in exploring the remainder of the enclosure. I added a few drops of water on 7/29 (before placing her in the new enclosure, and again on 8/2. There is not much air current in the T room, which I keep at 75F or 24C (I have since left the overhead fan on low as of this morning), and I am slightly concerned that I have been keeping the substrate TOO damp. I am trying not to remove her anymore, as I expect her to molt somewhere in the next week or two, based on purchase date. She is currently 4th instar, purchased 7/14, did not look like a fresh molt when I got her, not to mention she ate aggressively the day I got her, and has not yet molted in my care. She also turned down a mealworm, with it's head crushed for safety, last night. There is 1 row of vent holes all the way around the side, and a second row around the lid (see pictures below). I want to make sure its not too stuffy in there, but should I add more cross ventilation air holes on the enclosure? I am thinking of adding a second, maybe even third row around the sides. Also, considering her impending molt, I am thinking that because of her upcoming molt, higher humidity is a good thing (correct me if I am wrong please). At this point, I am also wondering if I should avoid making any more changes that could stress her out this close to molt? She has made very few webbings around the enclosure the day I rehoused her (7/29) and has since not added any more webbing. Not sure how much of that means anything, but I know you guys like the details! View attachment 217142 View attachment 217143
It seems like it is too damp to me as well. I normally keep a decent sized gatorade bottle cap for water and I only dampen the substrate a bit when it gets really dry looking(coco fiber and peat moss will start shrinking leaving a gap around the edges of the enclosure). Then I let it dry out again completely before adding more moisture. It has worked out really well for all my GBB Ts thus far.