New Zealand Sphagnum Moss

lackdawa

Arachnosquire
I want to use some sphagnum moss in a couple of my enclosures and I picked up some Zoo Med New Zealand Sphagnum moss, I want to double check that this is okay to use in Tarantula enclosures and if there is any actual difference between New Zealand moss and just normal sphagnum moss.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
If it’s 100% then your good to go, read the label and you will know!

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
It’s fine. I am attempting to grow my own sphag that originated from Wisconsin and others use Canadian sphagnum moss. They are all sphagnum sp. as long as it’s sphagnum or pillow moss with no chemicals, it’s safe.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It’s fine. I am attempting to grow my own sphag that originated from Wisconsin and others use Canadian sphagnum moss. They are all sphagnum sp. as long as it’s sphagnum or pillow moss with no chemicals, it’s safe.
I’ve always read on this forum that moss is hard to grow and keep alive/green over time.

What have you seen so far?

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I’ve always read on this forum that moss is hard to grow and keep alive/green over time.

What have you seen so far?
From what I know moss needs plenty of correct lighting whilst being kept moist, not wet. It is difficult to grow in enclosures long term as most are too dry or not having correct full spectrum lighting.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Sometimes in dart frog vivariums, sphagnum moss will reanimate and start growing. Not very often but I've seen it a couple of times.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Sometimes in dart frog vivariums, sphagnum moss will reanimate and start growing. Not very often but I've seen it a couple of times.
I think the new style LED lighting used in bio setups helps with moss growth. Not sure about long term though.

LizardStudent

Arachnosquire
I've got some right now that has reanimated in some of my nepenthes pitcher plant containers, went from that brown yellow to a nice green. I've also found it growing naturally here (TN) blew my mind when I saw it

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I bought a bail from Home Depot and stuck it in a sterilite tub with a forth of an inch of water and had a part of the lid often and moss started growing after a while. I’m still growing it and I predict I will have a full strand by the end of the year

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
From what I know moss needs plenty of correct lighting whilst being kept moist, not wet. It is difficult to grow in enclosures long term as most are too dry or not having correct full spectrum lighting.
I’ve heard the same. The lighting had to be just right

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've got some right now that has reanimated in some of my nepenthes pitcher plant containers, went from that brown yellow to a nice green. I've also found it growing naturally here (TN) blew my mind when I saw it
Pitcher plants rock!!!!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
On a tour given by biology students of an old growth stand of redwoods, mosses were pointed out and it was explained the moss clunps could be decades or even centuries old and may only grow under precise humidity, temperature and recent precipitation conditions. And of course, what light that could filter down as allowed by the 200-300 foot tall surrounding trees. Big time fussy stuff.

For more on mosses Humboldt State University has a very extensive library and several classes - courses on the temperate rainforest biosphere. A fascinating complex world unto itself.

Resources - Northtown and Tin Can sell used textbooks
1. Northtown Books
957 H St
Arcata, CA 95521

2. Tin Can Mailman
1000 H St
Arcata, CA 95521

3. Humboldt State University Bookstore
1 E Laurel Dr
Arcata, CA 95521

And for the serious fanatic who wants to dig deeper, EPIC is the place to start. They have vast boots-on-the-ground info resources as well as various publications in their reading library
epic@wildcalifornia.org 145 G Street, Suite A Arcata, CA 95521 (707) 822-7711 (707) 822-7712 FAX

Last edited: