New Vaejovis species babies!

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is what i believe to be Vaejovis vorhiesi. There is a chance they could be some thing else, but most likely its are the former. I caught only two of these scorpions from the sp. and of the two both were gravid and gave birth a week a part form each other.
I open to advice on how to care for the babies although I've read some old posts and stuff, i would still like to hear from you guys (these things are tinnnny), i will end up selling the majority, and since i have a ton they will go cheap!

I haven't any real experience with taking care of babies so wish me luck!
-casey

mattrgraham

Arachnopeon
Cool, I have never been to the Santa Ritas.

There is a chance that sky island Vaejovis species could be in the Spring Mts just outside Las Vegas and the Mormon Mts near Mequite, but I have never looked at night. I looked a few times under rocks in the Spring Mts and didn't find any but that doesn't mean they are not there :)
Cheers,

Matt

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cool, I have never been to the Santa Ritas.

There is a chance that sky island Vaejovis species could be in the Spring Mts just outside Las Vegas and the Mormon Mts near Mequite, but I have never looked at night. I looked a few times under rocks in the Spring Mts and didn't find any but that doesn't mean they are not there :)
Cheers,

Matt
well if you ever get a chance to look again, try small valleys where vegetation changes a little, the substrate differs quite a bit from just open areas, that could make all the difference.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Awesome! How big is the mother? And how long will it be before they are ready to go?

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Awesome! How big is the mother? And how long will it be before they are ready to go?
the moms small, little over an inch. i have two other species that popped also, one species that get up to 2 inches and one that gets just under 2.

and.
i have no prior experience with caring for scorpion babies so I'm not to sure how long it will be until i can send them out.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Great News snap! I've had good luck with my Vaejovis sp. slings, using coco and a little waxy leaf for hides. I've fed them newly hatched Lobster roaches, but I usually pre-kill because of larger than ideal size. If they are a little older roaches, they get cut in half. I lightly mist 2-3 times a week at least until 3rd instar. But keep it really light. If you are using one ounce containers, a full mist spray from my bottle will turn it into a swamp. Good luck and Have fun.
:)

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Great News snap! I've had good luck with my Vaejovis sp. slings, using coco and a little waxy leaf for hides. I've fed them newly hatched Lobster roaches, but I usually pre-kill because of larger than ideal size. If they are a little older roaches, they get cut in half. I lightly mist 2-3 times a week at least until 3rd instar. But keep it really light. If you are using one ounce containers, a full mist spray from my bottle will turn it into a swamp. Good luck and Have fun.
:)
how long until i should separate from mom? 3i? i have a clutch that is off moms back but still all white
and thanks, I was planing on buying some new scorps, but 4 broods in 72 hours has gotten me really overwhelmed. I really want to get these to an age where i can sell them.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
how long until i should separate from mom? 3i? i have a clutch that is off moms back but still all white
and thanks, I was planing on buying some new scorps, but 4 broods in 72 hours has gotten me really overwhelmed. I really want to get these to an age where i can sell them.
You can separate at 2i. Other people may wait longer. If you do, I would recommend keeping a close eye, and first time of trouble separate them. I have always done it at 2i though.

Yeah, its amazing what multiple birthings can do to your free time. I've had a dozen or so at once, and it was almost a full time job! Good thing is, you should only have 2-3-4 weeks max, and you will be good to go. They are harder to sell as slings, but you will be able to. Once there ready, offer them up for trade. You could expand your collection for just shipping!

Have fun! {D

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll be keeping on eye out for your post when they're ready to go :D I love my V. spinigerus & am wanting a few more small species.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those are awesome! My wifes from Sierra Vista,and we are hoping to get down that way to poke around a bit. Id LOVE to find a couple of those guys.

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
to update the first V.vorhiesi is carrying a clutch of 14, and the second that popped is carrying 21! both seem to be doing well.

Those are awesome! My wifes from Sierra Vista,and we are hoping to get down that way to poke around a bit. Id LOVE to find a couple of those guys.
sierra vista has a few different species, have fun!