New UV light

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Zoo Med has just introduced an LED light that produces UVB light in the correct spectrum for D3 conversion in reptiles.
Now with less heat than CFL's we may see a broader use os UV lighting for all kinds of herps, perhaps even tarantulas?

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
UV for T's?
Maybe? Yes I know they are creatures of the night. Probably less than zero studies done on T's and UV radiation. We just don't know.
But there are reports of dart frogs actively basking in UV light. I think T's might do the same even to a lesser extent. In a recent thread on AB someone reported their T basking in the sunlight when it hits their enclosure. Perhaps a small bit of UV radiation is all we're missing to improve hatch rates? Who knows. It would be interesting if someone would set up an experiment with multiple identical T's in identical set ups and see if they do like some UV light.

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
I'm skeptical after the first sentence. "The use of full spectrum lighting is common practice" It is? News to me.
It's very common and often pushed by pet stores. Is that where you shut off your brain and disregarded it or do you have actual thoughts on the article?

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
It's very common and often pushed by pet stores. Is that where you shut off your brain and disregarded it or do you have actual thoughts on the article?
I think that study is limited. Only two test species were used. I could absolutely see where a P. muticus would be driven into it's burrow by bright lighting.
I was unable to find data on lumens or PAR. How bright was this lighting. Did they try dimmed UV lights at sunrise and sunset?
Maybe different species react differently? Perhaps Arboreal species react differently?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Zoo Med has just introduced an LED light that produces UVB light in the correct spectrum for D3 conversion in reptiles.
Now with less heat than CFL's we may see a broader use os UV lighting for all kinds of herps, perhaps even tarantulas?
I read from a scorpion keeper here that UV light makes their exo soft in captivity.

I wouldn’t use UV on my T.

But an LED UV product sounds good for herps. I’ll be curious to see how long the UV lasts.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I read from a scorpion keeper here that UV light makes their exo soft in captivity.

I wouldn’t use UV on my T.

But an LED UV product sounds good for herps. I’ll be curious to see how long the UV lasts.
You are quite right, UV B is harmful to all inverts, and is only required for calcium conversion into D3 in reptiles, thus aiding bone development.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You are quite right, UV B is harmful to all inverts, and is only required for calcium conversion into D3 in reptiles, thus aiding bone development.
Yep I’ve been keeping herps for quite a few decades, well aware of UV needs for certain reptiles in captivity.

Most owners don’t realize UV drops off as a function of distance too.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can you link me? I can’t find it. Only product I came across was a normal UV light. The T5 LED with UV lamp built in..