New Ts.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
For anyone keeping track of our collection, Tamara and I got a male A.avicularia and a 2" A.geniculata yesterday. She hopes to breed the male to her female, "Tanooki." The white knee was more for my personal gratification. :)

Cheers,
Dave

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice!! Did you get them at a store or at a show? So adding those 2, what does that bring your grand total up to?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
SpiderTwin,

At a store. The invert guy was in so we got a good deal after we pointed out that his avic was a mature male.

I guess that brings the T total up to 48 now -- the grand total is about 120 now, though I am unsure on scorpion numbers.

Cheers,
Dave

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
solid pic!!!!

always good to be able to score some T from a local guy.

man that sounded like a drug deal huh? you know what i mean!

peace
dave

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks, man. I can't wait for this little gal(hopefuly) to get big. Incidentaly, I noticed on our very own caresheet, they have the experience level for these guys listed as an eight. Do people think this is justified?

Yeah, I sometimes reflect on the similarities between drug deals and invert deals myself. We're always looking for "good stuff" from dealers who will usualy keep to themselves and deal in cash only. Actualy, it was really funny because we got a little flyer a while back indicating how you could determine if your neighbour was growing pot in their house. The idea is that you would then rat them out. Looking over the checklist, I'm surprised we didn't get checked out for our animals and plants. High hydro bill, coming in and out at odd hours, bringing in lots of plant growing material, bringing in and out all sorts of hoses, fittings etc.

Cheers,
Dave

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haha very true my friend...

i won't rat you out though..

and i feel like maybe a 6 is better than an 8 on the caresheet... But then again, who knows.. I'd say, personally, that its a bit overblown, youre right.

good luck
peace
the other dave

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
My experience with a sub-adult/adult A. genic was that it does not warrant such a high experience rating. They can be quite flicky, and fast, but they are pretty easy to keep alive, and extremely good eaters.

I think the system was to make people wonder WHY it was rated high, and be forced to do research, so as not to be blindly impulse buying T's. Right Scott? That WAS what you had in mind eh :)?

Bill

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
That is also the impression I had gotten just by reading people's accounts of their white knees. Anyhow, at this size, agression is a moot point and they don't sound too hard to keep alive from what I've heard.

Cheers,
Dave

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
My little guy's feeding response is unbelievable! He will dash across his entire enclosure (smallest critter keeper) to take out a cricket. He also seems fairly fearless when it comes to me. I really like this spider!

Cheers,
Dave

Alias

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
damn, my geniculata is in premolt now...Im really looking forward to first feeding after the molt...I will enjoy something like watching christians vs. lion in Rome :D

btw, now I dont want to feed him, he is too fat, but otherwise premolt doesnt seem to matter with this species...he ate a cricket one day before the last molt! (28.3.)

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
He looks freshly molted...
Quick question, mine molted about three weeks now and has stayed in his hide since, he was also moved to a larger home right before the molt.
What is your opinion on providing a hide for this species? I enjoyed him a lot more before he had one, and his appetite seemed a lot bigger then too.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
She moulted about a month ago, which is when I determined that she was female. I have provided her with hiding oportunities from day one and she has ignored them. She seems to regard her whole enclosure as a hide.

Cheers,
Dave