New Ts!

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Pics to come but I'm too excited to not post now. Just dropped Brock (MM G pulchra) off with his girlfriend and took home two new little slings, Avicularia geroldi and Ephebopus cyanognathus! :D
The E. cyanognathus was even hubby's idea!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
You are gonna love the little blue fangs, warning they are some of the fastest NW T's out there. Give them deep moist sub, anchor points for webbing, and a starter hole.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
You are gonna love the little blue fangs, warning they are some of the fastest NW T's out there. Give them deep moist sub, anchor points for webbing, and a starter hole.
I've read that, yes :D I'm a little excited, fed it earlier and it snatched up its food and disappeared back to its burrow faster than my eyes could follow it. Definitely a cute little fella! Its small and is in a good sized vial for now, I can already tell rehousing is gonna be tough but I'm up for the challenge ;)

Did the pulchra ever manage to produce any silk
Nope, not from what I've seen. Though we got him in an enclosure next to the females and he went nuts! Also he's significantly bigger than the female so I'm hoping the guy has a chance!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Nope, not from what I've seen. Though we got him in an enclosure next to the females and he went nuts! Also he's significantly bigger than the female so I'm hoping the guy has a chance!
He's bigger? Are we sure the female is an adult? And by "went nuts" I'm assuming you mean he was able to produce silk then.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
He's bigger? Are we sure the female is an adult? And by "went nuts" I'm assuming you mean he was able to produce silk then.
The female is an adult, though freshly adult. She's just a smaller lady. And no, I more meant he was basically trying to run through his plastic wall to get to her :) Breeding is going to take place in a few days once we know she's nice and full and they've had some time to hang out.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
If he is charged up already he wont make a new sperm web. I'm guessing that's what you meant by produce silk.

The female is an adult, though freshly adult. She's just a smaller lady. And no, I more meant he was basically trying to run through his plastic wall to get to her :) Breeding is going to take place in a few days once we know she's nice and full and they've had some time to hang out.
Cool, sounds like he is ready to dive in. Good luck and congratulations on the new Ts.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Some photos (I need a macro lens if I'm going to keep buying slings :shifty:)

One last shot of G. pulchra, an attempt at A. geroldi and some even worse attempts of E. cyanognathus o_O:embarrassed:

Attachments

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
D'awwwwwwwwwwwww
Yeah I feel for him. We men are easily excitable ;)

Paiige

Arachnobaron
The purple smile.... :D

I really need to get me one of these.
Their abdomen coloring is super cool - it looks purple from the back, green in the front and yellow from above. That with their pink legs, orange/yellow spots and bluish face is the weirdest combo - they look like iridescent little gems :happy:

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
If he is charged up already he wont make a new sperm web. I'm guessing that's what you meant by produce silk.
Interesting you say that. I have no scientific knowledge on that but I did witness my MM b smithi make a new sperm web the same day of the week 4 weeks in a row. It was like clockwork.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Interesting you say that. I have no scientific knowledge on that but I did witness my MM b smithi make a new sperm web the same day of the week 4 weeks in a row. It was like clockwork.
I've never seen a scientific study on it either, but everything I have read including stuff from the BTS said the male only tops off as is needed. Usually, it's after he has mated with a female and lived. He'll charge back up before he looks for another. If he hasn't mated then the only thing that would cause him to need new sperm is the old stuff going bad. Going off the fact that a female can keep the sperm separate and viable for months before laying I then imaged that the male should be able to do something similar in his pedipalps. Again, I've not seen any hard time information on how long their sperm is good for once in the pedipalps.

Does your male still make new webs every week on the same day or did he stop after that?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
He's bigger? Are we sure the female is an adult?
Most females sexually mature at roughly 75% their max size. Meaning that sometimes the male can be bigger if the female has recently matured.

Agreed, but I think that's the exception rather than the rule. I caught my A. geniculata making sperm webs two nights in a row, and there was evidence of more than that. Young MM's seem to load constantly, but after a few months it slows quite a bit down.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Awesome deal @Paiige !
The colours on the Ephebopus sling are brilliant :) Mine recently molted, even the molt looks awesome.
The A.geroldi is a pretty species as well!

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@Paiige Congrats on the new tarantulas 2 beautiful species. I would've loved to have taken that mature male off your hands as I'm sure my female pulchra would've loved him too but unfortunately I'm the other side of the pond

Paiige

Arachnobaron
@Paiige Congrats on the new tarantulas 2 beautiful species. I would've loved to have taken that mature male off your hands as I'm sure my female pulchra would've loved him too but unfortunately I'm the other side of the pond
Thanks! And I would love to have seen him go to someone on here but yes there is that pesky matter of distance :p

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Congrats on the new acquisitions, and thank you for doing your part in making more G. pulchra babies. This hobby needs more of them, and at a lower price.