New Ts!

Paiige

Arachnobaron
So I brought home a couple new Ts today and I'm excited (and hubby is sick of listening to me gush about them) so I decided to make a thread :D

Took home my first Avic today (about 2"), the shop said it's looking male but to me it appears female (and was cheap) so it's mine now :) Looks like A. avicularia.

Also brought home a 1" A. geniculata. After getting the N. tripepii last week I realized how excited I am by the prospect of having a somewhat feisty T. Up until this point I've only wanted "happy" Ts (hence my small army of Grammostola and Brachypelma and lack of OWs) but I think I'm ready for some sass. I love my pet rocks but it's time for something with a little more attitude and a decent growth rate :angelic:

I was torn between N. chromatus and the A. geniculata but decided to go with the A. genic because it's a genus I have no experience with. I'm also a fan of stockier bodies and from what I've read they grow a bit faster.

I'm gonna apologize for the sling picture spamming in advance :p

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I was torn between N. chromatus and the A. geniculata but decided to go with the A. genic because it's a genus I have no experience with. I'm also a fan of stockier bodies and from what I've read they grow a bit faster.
Oh, you'll definitely have a spider with attitude! People think they're defensive. They're really not - they just think that everything is food. Including you. I've never gotten a threat posture from mine until it turned into a MM. They do grow quickly, yes, so be sure to feed it like mad :D

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Yes they're just pigs from what I've seen, a small finger can look like a superworm quite easily I'm sure! They also seem to be a bit flicky but I'm used to my B. boehmei who kicks in her sleep so I'm not worried :D

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
People think they're defensive. They're really not - they just think that everything is food. Including you. :D
As a NW terrestrial type of guy, I've almost pulled the trigger on A. geniculata a couple of times, but I've held off because I find that trait to be a little intimidating for a T that gets so big. :anxious:

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
As a NW terrestrial type of guy, I've almost pulled the trigger on A. geniculata a couple of times, but I've held off because I find that trait to be a little intimidating for a T that gets so big. :anxious:
They're no different than a Pamphobeteus sp.. Just don't use YOUR pinkies as a treat!

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Just don't stick your hands too close and you'll be fine :p
I might feel differently when it's an adult, as right now at a whopping 1" it's not too intimidating, but I'm also a NW terrestrial kind of girl and the extended fasting is getting old. Right now I only have one T that is eating and it's pretty underwhelming :bored: Not that I love them any less but it's pretty rough doing the rounds and saying "good morning" to a bunch of pet rocks and piles of dirt with no interest in anything :hurting:

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Congrats on your new arrival. My genics are killing eating machines my male flipped end over end attacking a cricket.
Have fun

skyvie

Arachnopeon
Congrats! That's exciting, and talk about it as much as you want! Funny enough, I just pulled the trigger on a genic myself (among some others). I used to think the "everything is food" behavior was intimidating, but I must confess it was one of the reasons I chose the A. genic specifically. Maybe it's all the Grammys & Brachys in premolt (or poor eaters) that helped me decide! :D

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Just don't stick your hands too close and you'll be fine :p:hurting:
I might feel differently when it's an adult, as right now at a whopping 1" it's not too intimidating, but I'm also a NW terrestrial kind of girl and the extended fasting is getting old.
Well, maybe my N. tripepii will grow up to be nasty and will prepare me for something with a little more attitude. :vamp:

Paiige

Arachnobaron
welcome to the avic club. :)
Thanks, it's quite cute! :cat: I'd like a versicolor eventually as their sling coloration is breathtaking (plus I'm a sucker for fluff)

Well, maybe my N. tripepii will grow up to be nasty and will prepare me for something with a little more attitude. :vamp:
Ah! I just picked up a tripepii sling about a week ago with the same mentality ;) Love it already, it takes down prey like a champ. I haven't named it yet, just refer to it as "the little monster" :zombie:

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Thanks, it's quite cute! :cat: I'd like a versicolor eventually as their sling coloration is breathtaking (plus I'm a sucker for fluff)

Ah! I just picked up a tripepii sling about a week ago with the same mentality ;) Love it already, it takes down prey like a champ. I haven't named it yet, just refer to it as "the little monster" :zombie:
If you want fluff, get an A. amazonica. Those things look like they've been in the dryer too long:p

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who says good morning to my spiders:shy:

Paiige

Arachnobaron
They're my babies, I say good morning and good night and talk to them the same way I do my cat. Just because I can't snuggle them doesn't mean I can't love them :D

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Avics are pretty good eaters too. Very fun to keep

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I love my juvie genic. Great eaters and are hilarious when they try to eat anything that moves. One thing to be aware of though, is to be careful if you use metal tongs around them for cleaning, etc. They WILL try to eat them and it can break a fang. If I'm doing maintenance I try to do it away from where she is at the moment.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you want fluff, get an A. amazonica. Those things look like they've been in the dryer too long:p

A. amazonica is on my short list for sure. Look awesome.